Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 28

Thread: Best Sydney Swans Team (1982 - Present)

  1. #1

    Best Sydney Swans Team (1982 - Present)

    Bayes Carter Barry
    Carroll Roos Browning
    Goodes Williams Hanneberry
    Morwood Franklin Bolton
    O'Loughlin Lockett Hall

    Foll: Jolly Healy Kelly
    Int: Kennedy Kirk O'Keefe McVeigh

    It's a fair side.

    Ruck I struggled with, I was close to putting Ball ahead of Jolly....

    Would have also loved to have found a spot for Stevie Wright

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Bayes Carter Barry
    Carroll Roos Browning
    Goodes Williams Hanneberry
    Morwood Franklin Bolton
    O'Loughlin Lockett Hall

    Foll: Jolly Healy Kelly
    Int: Kennedy Kirk O'Keefe McVeigh

    It's a fair side.

    Ruck I struggled with, I was close to putting Ball ahead of Jolly....

    Would have also loved to have found a spot for Stevie Wright
    Capper won't be happy - can't make the Team of the Century, can't even make the team of the last 3 decades

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Capper won't be happy - can't make the Team of the Century, can't even make the team of the last 3 decades
    He was massively under-rated as a footballer but I couldn't find space.....

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    He was massively under-rated as a footballer but I couldn't find space.....
    I must confess, it's a hard task, especially when you're forced to leave out other players who actually made our Team of the Century (David Murphy, Tony Morwood, Barry Round, Daryn Creswell, Mark Bayes)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I must confess, it's a hard task, especially when you're forced to leave out other players who actually made our Team of the Century (David Murphy, Tony Morwood, Barry Round, Daryn Creswell, Mark Bayes)
    Bayes and Morwood made my team too

    But I'd back Hanners as a better player than Murphy and JPK as a better on-baller than Cressa. I thought about Round too and I guess I am a bit biased because he'd probably struggle now as he wasn't that mobile but in all fairness could have claims on Jolly's spot

  6. #6
    McVeigh for Brownlow RogueSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Posts
    4,046
    Personally, I would put Maxfield in before McVeigh. Maxfield was one the best ever wings to play for the Bloods.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Bayes and Morwood made my team too
    Oops ... I'm distracted (read that as procrastinating!) while trying to prepare a talk for a bunch of GPs for tomorrow night ... my apologies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I thought about Round too and I guess I am a bit biased because he'd probably struggle now as he wasn't that mobile but in all fairness could have claims on Jolly's spot
    I think you have to compare players by the dominance they displayed in their own time. If they played today, their training & professionalism would be different. Roundy was a great tap ruckman for his height, great mark & hansballed further than many could kick. No matter when you win a Brownlow, you earn it over the course of a whole season.

  8. #8
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    1,822
    Of course, we could be slightly creative and put Goodesy in the ruck. Even though he didn't play there for all that long, he did win a Brownlow while doing so.

  9. #9
    Warming the Bench grarmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Barossa Valley
    Posts
    339
    Seriously difficult to omit Barry Mitchell from this side, especially after you have included Kirk and Micky O. As much as we loved them, they did not have skills of Barry. When you say ' Bolton', I assume you mean Jude, but Craig and David would not be out of this company.

  10. #10
    Senior Player Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,224
    Heeney stiff.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

  11. #11
    Senior Player ernie koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    northern beaches
    Posts
    3,055
    I'd have Barry Mitchell and Stuart Maxfield in this team, ahead of Bolton & McViegh.

    For balance probably should have a second ruck....Round, Ball or Mummy
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I'd have Barry Mitchell and Stuart Maxfield in this team, ahead of Bolton & McViegh.

    For balance probably should have a second ruck....Round, Ball or Mummy
    Yep, leaving a Brownlow Medallist out is a bit stiff innit, Mitchell ahead of McVeigh is fair too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO