Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BJ signs on to the end of 2017 season !!

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    im guessing when he was 17 in year and scored 98 plus ATAR he was doing lots on AFL training ? NON.............he was way behind in development and he is now ready to surge again
    I do believe that is a Boom and a Tish.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Yes, you are right only 3 - 4 years compared to others that have played since they were kids. BJ has only been with us for three seasons. Kieren didn't really become the player we know and love until his about his fifth season and he is an exceptional footballer.
    Not sure I agree here. I remember well my first glimpse of Keiren in the seniors and I could see straight away that he was an exciting talent. The Swans played a preseason game at Optus Oval the next off-season and afterwards the team were all available for photos, etc and I embarrassed my daughter completely by telling Kizza "you are going to be a gun" to which he was very gracious and modest. My point is that, as much as I really want BJ to do well, I dont see quite the same level of talent there as I did his 'big' bro.
    Last edited by Dosser; 12th November 2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Typos

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Not sure I agree here. I remember well my first glimpse of Keiren in the seniors and I could see straight away that he was an exciting talent. The Swans played a preseason game at Optus Oval the next off-season and afterwards the team were all available for photos, etc and I embarrassed my daughter completely by telling Kizza "you are going to be a gun" to which he was very gracious and modest. My point is that, as much as I really want BJ to do well, I dont see quite the same level of talent there as I did his 'big' bro.
    I don't think Brandon is likely to come close to Kieran's level either, but they did follow slightly different paths. Although KJ was handicapped by growing up in a non-traditional state, he started playing around age 11 and was good enough to captain the U18 RAMS side in his last junior year. BJ didn't make the switch from league until his mid-teens, and while he did play for the U18 RAMS team, was more of a peripheral player. So in terms of how long he's been playing the game, he's still a way behind where KJ was at a similar age. He can also still grow into a handy player for the club even if he falls a long way short of KJ's level. KJ has become a super player - B&F winner and regular high placer, AA (and unlucky, IMO, not to be a twice AA).

i think there is a few more important points re KJ vs BJ

KJ came in as a tagger with naturally a better long distance tank and was 20yrs of age for his first game. 2007 was a year when we came 7th on the ladder

BJ came in as a small forward which is a role where we as supporters see the brilliance and the mistakes and mark generally quite harshly. BJ was 19yrs of age for his first game. BJ busted into a team that came 4th in the comp.

I think the role of tagger is certainly not easy to hide week in week out from a coaching department as the area of nullifying opposition key midfielders is so critically analysed ................but in general I do believe it is easier for us supporters to miss the little things of a tagger vs a forward pocket / HFF.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    I think there's going to be a few eggs on faces in the coming years.
    BJ took a bit of a step backwards last year but I think he came on well in 2015 and will turn into a very good player

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I think the role of tagger is certainly not easy to hide week in week out from a coaching department as the area of nullifying opposition key midfielders is so critically analysed
    Tagging can also be an excellent development tool for some young Mids, being taken to good positions by the likes of Gary Ablett and Nat Fyfe every week can teach you a lot about the game if you take notice, some very good midfielders start as stopping players.

I can't see Brandon being as good as KJ but KJ has been a good player for a long time.
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Some hard markers here. I would have given him little chance to keep his spot mid way thru the year, but his second half was excellent and he totally deserves an extension imo...

Veterans List
    I thought his form in the second half of the season, especially the latter part was a real insight into his worth for us as an effective small forward who also exerts tackling pressure on defenders. Worth sticking with, and now with the upside that he knows he's got two years to prove he's worth a further contract or his AFL career is over. Motivation.

I'm glad we've shown faith in him, he really came on well at the end of this year and with a strong pre-season he could be one to watch next year.

I'm sure he's on fairly modest terms so won't be taking up too much cap but he's still young and if he does the hard work over the next 18 months that side of things will look after themselves for the lad

Yes, I'm glad that we have stuck with BJ. I've never quiet seen what the knock on him was? Fast, skilful, good chase down pressure and can hit hard when he catches them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12