Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The pre season begins !!!!

at training there was never any hiding in groups of 5 or so when doing 400m's

ohhh the pain
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

3km Time Trial

1st: Jack Hiscox
    2nd: Dane Rampe
    3rd: Daniel Robinson
    4th: Dean Towers
    5th: Harry Cunningham

would be interesting to know their times

go Robbo !!!!

He could be the guy that just sneaks up on us all

he is a smart player and if injury strikes he could be the guy that gets the nod and stays in Snrs

Gallery: 2016 pre-season ramps up - sydneyswans.com.au

one of the last photos has Hiscox and Hannes out in front on probably a 400m run

Great to see Harry Marsh super fit and hanging in there near the front with Rampes

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

Great to see Harry Marsh super fit and hanging in there near the front with Rampes
    Marsh has always had the tool to be a good player (on paper at least). He's a strong runner, good mark and can kick the ball a long way. It's taken him a while to get the mental side of his game going. This past season his role was more limited and he improved a lot. He's among a group of slow developers which also include BJ, Towers and Aliir. They all have the talent, but it's taken them time to get the right feel for the game under pressure. While someone less naturally gifted, like Jake Lloyd, has moved ahead due his good instincts and quick decision making.

I think Lloyd is a good mark for his size and a pretty decent shot on goal. As his confidence improves I expect we'll see him drift forward and kick a few more goals next year. So plenty of upside from my perspective.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Marsh has always had the tool to be a good player (on paper at least). He's a strong runner, good mark and can kick the ball a long way. It's taken him a while to get the mental side of his game going. This past season his role was more limited and he improved a lot. He's among a group of slow developers which also include BJ, Towers and Aliir. They all have the talent, but it's taken them time to get the right feel for the game under pressure. While someone less naturally gifted, like Jake Lloyd, has moved ahead due his good instincts and quick decision making.
    I would add good vision and a great tank to Lloyd's attributes.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I would add good vision and a great tank to Lloyd's attributes.
    Generally a good kick as well.

I didn't make it to this morning's open training session but I have passed by on a couple of other recent mornings. One thing that struck me was how much I missed seeing Jetts and Goodsie out there. While I am optimistic we can cover their losses on-field, it wasn't until I saw them training that I felt the pain of the loss for more off-field reasons. What awesome characters/spirits to miss! I think Jetta's gentleness and cheekiness and Goodsie's statesmanlike drive and aplomb are gaping holes that Macca and Kizza can't easily fill (nor Joey or Hanners) .

Thank god we haven't entirely lost Shawry as well and we've got Kirky back! Their passion, enthusiasm and care are vital. The departures also add to the painful resonance of learning of AJ's latest setback. Part of what makes AJ so valuable (and part of why I suspect the club has stuck so phat with him) is his positivity, spirit and off-field contribution/leadership (despite his relative lack of seniority and longstanding injury).

Some other sundry thoughts:

* was impressive seeing how far Sammy Naismith can lob (what's the proper word?) an American football!

* the general tone of the snippets of training I have seen has been quite laid back and knockabout and less intense than I expected - although I did see them doing an exercise that looked like getting to kick under pressure/fatigue. I'm sure there are other bits that are much more demanding and it's good to seeing them switching on/off as required and enjoying themselves.

* have noticed the skills component even this early in the training - the other day I think they were practicing kicking for accuracy i.e. kicking to a teammate and ideally the receiver would not have to take a step to catch the ball. I was not that blown away by the skill levels on display I'm sorry to say; as often as not, the receiver would have to move to catch the ball even though there was no pressure whatsoever on the kicker and they would only have been 30 metres apart.

* Does anyone else struggle to understand the hoo-haa about the reduction in the number of interchanges? I fail to understand why this is such a big deal. As best I can tell it doesn't have to mean players play any more minutes - it's the same amount of playing time divided by the same number of players - they just can't change as frequently. Also, surely this is at least partly balanced out by the abolition of the sub rule?! Now the 22nd player can rotate on and off all game and that will allow those on the bench to rest longer. What's more, that should actually mean the players (except for the otherwise sub) actually have slightly reduced playing time (typically more than an hour's less playing time spread across the group - based on the sub typically starting around 3/4 time, sometimes later and occasionally sooner in the case of injury).

Veterans List
    Just scanned the training pics and I must say that Callum Sinclair doesn't even look like a ruckman so I hope we knew what we were doing when we recruited him!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    .......... * Does anyone else struggle to understand the hoo-haa about the reduction in the number of interchanges? ..............
    It basically means that players have to stay on the field longer each time meaning more fatigue, less speed. The rule will suit players with big tanks and hurt players who currently have to interchange frequently to stop "blowing up". It should stop that really annoying coming off after you kick a goal, the purpose of which defeats me.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Just scanned the training pics and I must say that Callum Sinclair doesn't even look like a ruckman so I hope we knew what we were doing when we recruited him!
    Funny you should say that. I think I saw him and i thought "I imagined you'd be taller! " ?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast