Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board member

Board member

just wondering if anyone from this site has been a board member in the past of the Swans or any of its affiliate committee's?

I have noticed we appear to generally have in the main board members from the financial or property industries ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Blog Entries
    I've been a bored member at a few games.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You could always tell if Capper had a bored member (infrequent).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Warming the Bench
    I have been to a couple of past player meetings in Melbourne a long time ago.

The wonderful Jason Ball is still a board member. Guess that medal meant a lot to him.

They probably still pluck board members from the stock of people who have time to spend on something else other than working in the mainstream. I often wonder how on earth Richard Colless manages.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Scoop: Seven West boss to join Sydney Swans board

New board member...conflict of interest?

If Tim Worner did join the Board thats good news its shocking how little coverage Swans get in Sydney even on 7 which is the "Home of AFL"..

Does this mean we get more Thursday and Friday Night games?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That Capper joke was some pretty high end stuff.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I thought I heard somewhere that Brad Seymour was running. Does this mean that he didn't get in?

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Scoop: Seven West boss to join Sydney Swans board

New board member...conflict of interest?
    No conflict of interest based on the AFL community's interpretation of the conflict of interest rule.

In many other industries there would be a suspicion of a conflict of interest. The AFL has traditionally had a more relaxed attitude to conflicts of interest.

Eddie McGuire was the President of Colingwood while fulfilling the role of CEO of the Nine network. Based on this precedent there would be no concern for the CEO of Seven joining the Swans Board. Eddie would certainly say nothing about it.

It's an excellent appointment for the Swans as TV network CEOs have close relationships with many big advertisers.

Well done Andrew Pridham.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I thought I heard somewhere that Brad Seymour was running. Does this mean that he didn't get in?
    I've interpreted this as being a board appointment, as opposed to filling one of the two member elected spots (for which there has been no action election since the first year because only one candidate has ever nominated). By my reckoning there should be one member spot to fill this year because Jason Ball was "member elected" and he resigned following his appointment to the AFL commission. In the past, when a member elected spot has been open, the nomination process has closed in late December, and the election finalised early the following year at the AGM. If there is just one candidate, he will be deemed to have been elected as soon as the nominations close, with this ratified at the AGM.

Your description of Seymour "running" suggests he has his eye on that vacant member elected spot, which would be distinct from any direct appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Your description of Seymour "running" suggests he has his eye on that vacant member elected spot, which would be distinct from any direct appointments.
    Maybe a bad choice considering your explanation in the above post Liz as I didn't know how it worked.

Saw Brad on Fox Sportsfan Club House after the draft and he kept referring to the Swans as 'we' and not 'them' so maybe he is already on the board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast