Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Membership Numbers 2016

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I was at that game against North at Coburg! The crowd was that sparse that we could clearly see ourselves on the TV replay that night. (South wasn't on the replay very often - must've been a split round with less game choices to televise.) My father said we went to the game even though the weather was atrocious to support Bobby Skilton - it was his first game as coach, I think.
    I guess, since there has only been one South Melbourne game ever at Coburg Oval, that it is this one. Crowd 13774, perhaps better than you recall

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I guess, since there has only been one South Melbourne game ever at Coburg Oval, that it is this one. Crowd 13774, perhaps better than you recall
    Big thanks for the link Neilfws. The fact that it was a round one game supports my thought that it was Skilton's first game as a coach. I'm surprised at the crowd but the excitement of the beginning of a new season might explain why so many people braved the weather. Honestly, it was the wettest day at the football I've ever had! My memory was that we won the game though and you've confirmed that as well. Thanks!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I've renewed already.

Whilst dwelling on the bad times, I was in Sydney for business in 1993 and went to training at the SCG one afternoon, sat in the front row. I was the only spectator there and the players kept looking at me every time they came past so I assume no one ever went to training during that dark period.
    I try to get to training as often as I can, about a dozen times during preseason and every couple of weeks during season. Pre season there can be twenty or more watching, occasionally more. During the season, sometimes there will be half a dozen..if school groups are in, obviously numbers are up.
    It doesn't seem to be a Sydney thing to watch training.
    The club doesn't seem bothered..they rarely advertise training times, esp during season. I have emailed them and called so many times asking for times to be on the website, but rarely a response. And even then, they may advertise times for a week or so then forget about it again.
    But worst is when I've been told open training times after calling the club..twice last season..and I drive 30k to the SCG to be told training is not open today,,coaches have changed their minds.
    It is one of the rare unprofessional things about Sydney, and I find it extremely disappointing.
    Maybe someone from the club might see this and have a think.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Big thanks for the link Neilfws. The fact that it was a round one game supports my thought that it was Skilton's first game as a coach. I'm surprised at the crowd but the excitement of the beginning of a new season might explain why so many people braved the weather. Honestly, it was the wettest day at the football I've ever had! My memory was that we won the game though and you've confirmed that as well. Thanks!
    I see Max Papley played that day. One Robert Skilton had 36 possessions

Warming the Bench
    I recall going in the 90s, when they introduced the crowd to the players. we wandered anywhere in the scg, usually in the ladies stand
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

I renewed two yesterday.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Is there a Swans membership satuation point?

In other words, the maximum number of members the Swans can sign without failing to meet their membership obligations (not having a seat available at a venue).

Does anyone know the key target number?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk View Post

In other words, the maximum number of members the Swans can sign without failing to meet their membership obligations (not having a seat available at a venue).

I don't think there would be a fixed number...a lot would depend on how what states our members are based in etc. as well as things like 3 game memberships.

But it's obviously logical that there's a finite number of Sydney/NSW based members we could have that are actually guaranteed a seat at every single home game. Maybe something like 45ish k?
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Gronk View Post

I remember reading about 50k members as being an achievable target, and 45k+ would be when the SCG would start coming close to capacity. There is 5% set aside for walk-up sales so new ppl can come along but I think they want to have a high number of paid-up members for financial stability and a fan engagement point of view.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    I remember reading about 50k members as being an achievable target, and 45k+ would be when the SCG would start coming close to capacity. There is 5% set aside for walk-up sales so new ppl can come along but I think they want to have a high number of paid-up members for financial stability and a fan engagement point of view.
    I think the SCG capacity is a fair bit lower than that, due to SCG membership. While some Swans memberships permit the member to sit in the SCG members region, the number sold must be a fair few lower than total capacity of that area. Given total capacity of the SCG is only around 50k ish, that means the seats available to the Swans to sell must be lower.

I suspect the club is still some way short of that. A sizeable proportion of memberships would be for Melbourne and country based members, where they don't have guaranteed access to the SCG for all home games.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think the SCG capacity is a fair bit lower than that, due to SCG membership. While some Swans memberships permit the member to sit in the SCG members region, the number sold must be a fair few lower than total capacity of that area. Given total capacity of the SCG is only around 50k ish, that means the seats available to the Swans to sell must be lower.

I suspect the club is still some way short of that. A sizeable proportion of memberships would be for Melbourne and country based members, where they don't have guaranteed access to the SCG for all home games.
    I agree I think there is a sizeable proportion of memberships which are non reserved seating memberships. Who knows it could even be up to 50% are non reserved seating. I for one have only had reserved seating for the first time last year. Prior to that I was a red 3 member. I have to say that last season was awesome and I plan to keep our reserved seats forever. The real question Being asked is what is the maximum number of reserved seating memberships that could be sold at the SCG. My guess would be about 30000 - 35000. Capacity is 47000 I believe. I think ther must be around 15000 or so seats in the red zone and SCG members sections. The rest of the ground is available to the swans for reserved seating allocation although at the moment they also sell general admission seats which I'm guessing they could do away with if demand got high enough for reserved seats.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I try to get to training as often as I can, about a dozen times during preseason and every couple of weeks during season. Pre season there can be twenty or more watching, occasionally more. During the season, sometimes there will be half a dozen..if school groups are in, obviously numbers are up.
    It doesn't seem to be a Sydney thing to watch training.
    The club doesn't seem bothered..they rarely advertise training times, esp during season. I have emailed them and called so many times asking for times to be on the website, but rarely a response. And even then, they may advertise times for a week or so then forget about it again.
    But worst is when I've been told open training times after calling the club..twice last season..and I drive 30k to the SCG to be told training is not open today,,coaches have changed their minds.
    It is one of the rare unprofessional things about Sydney, and I find it extremely disappointing.
    Maybe someone from the club might see this and have a think.
    Hi royboy42,

Thanks for your feedback on this. After reading your comment, we've worked with the football department to pull together a list of upcoming dates for open training which has now been published on the website.
    You can check it out now: Open Training - December 2015 - sydneyswans.com.au.

Hope this helps, I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether this format is useful when planning to visit.

Cheers,
    Jenny

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast