Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Membership Numbers 2016

Membership Numbers 2016

Anyone have any idea how our membership numbers are stacking up?

Read somewhere that St Kilda had (or were hoping, as I can't recall which) 20,000 before Christmas.

Hi All,

We've got 18,277 members on board already for 2016 - this puts us almost 2,000 ahead of the same time last year. It's shaping up to be another big year, on and off the field!

Hope you're all well, and looking forward to a safe and happy festive season! If you're around this Saturday, pop by and see us at the EQ markets, Moore Park. The membership crew will be there if you have any questions, and you can have your Santa photo with Cyggy! Should be a great day!

Cheers,
    Jenny

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Thanks Jenny, that's great news! And I must admit, a little unexpected.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Good to see that RWO is the best place to have our questions answered quickly by Jenny.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Hi All,

We've got 18,277 members on board already for 2016 - this puts us almost 2,000 ahead of the same time last year. It's shaping up to be another big year, on and off the field!

Hope you're all well, and looking forward to a safe and happy festive season! If you're around this Saturday, pop by and see us at the EQ markets, Moore Park. The membership crew will be there if you have any questions, and you can have your Santa photo with Cyggy! Should be a great day!

Cheers,
    Jenny
    Thanks Jenny for that very encouraging update!

Can't help but think of those terrible years in the 90s when there seemed to be more people on the field than off it.

Anyone know our lowest annual membership figures?
    Anyone know our smallest crowd at the SCG?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    5272 v Brisbane in 1990, I believe
    Last edited by swansrob; 1st December 2015 at 12:30 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Anyone know our lowest annual membership figures?
    I suppose we could dwell on the negatives...

Lowest SCG crowd: August 17 1990, round 20 versus Brisbane Bears, 5272.

For comparison: lowest ever crowd of the Swans era (post 1981) - August 22 1992, round 23 versus Brisbane Bears at Carrara, 4349.

There are reports of 3000 from 1922 (Geelong) and 1941 (Hawthorn) but I guess those are estimated.

The only site I know with historical membership data is this one; it only goes back to 1995 when there were 6088 members. I'd guess there were less in the early 1980s.

Senior Player
    I agree it's surprising. I thought member numbers would drop a little this year as a rebound to the massive Increase last year. Good news though :-)

Go Swans

Thanks swansrob and neilfws.

Knew it was bad but didn't think it was that bad!

We've come a long way!

Veterans List
    I've renewed already.

Whilst dwelling on the bad times, I was in Sydney for business in 1993 and went to training at the SCG one afternoon, sat in the front row. I was the only spectator there and the players kept looking at me every time they came past so I assume no one ever went to training during that dark period.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I suppose we could dwell on the negatives...

Lowest SCG crowd: August 17 1990, round 20 versus Brisbane Bears, 5272.

For comparison: lowest ever crowd of the Swans era (post 1981) - August 22 1992, round 23 versus Brisbane Bears at Carrara, 4349.

There are reports of 3000 from 1922 (Geelong) and 1941 (Hawthorn) but I guess those are estimated.

The only site I know with historical membership data is this one; it only goes back to 1995 when there were 6088 members. I'd guess there were less in the early 1980s.
    1922 doesn't surprise me; not many people had cars to get to Geelong. Thos that went probably went by train, and it could have been one of those horror wet days.
    In 1941 Hawthorn was the worst team for a long time. Again could have been a howler of a day and if at Glenferrie it would have been a bog.
    We went to a game against North at Coburg oval in the 60's or 70's and it poured all day. Cant have been more than 5000 that day.

With Buddy back in town expect a spike in sign ups and renewals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    1922 doesn't surprise me; not many people had cars to get to Geelong. Thos that went probably went by train, and it could have been one of those horror wet days.
    In 1941 Hawthorn was the worst team for a long time. Again could have been a howler of a day and if at Glenferrie it would have been a bog.
    We went to a game against North at Coburg oval in the 60's or 70's and it poured all day. Cant have been more than 5000 that day.

With Buddy back in town expect a spike in sign ups and renewals.
    I was at that game against North at Coburg! The crowd was that sparse that we could clearly see ourselves on the TV replay that night. (South wasn't on the replay very often - must've been a split round with less game choices to televise.) My father said we went to the game even though the weather was atrocious to support Bobby Skilton - it was his first game as coach, I think.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast