Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre Season Injury Update

Senior Player

Smile Pre Season Injury Update

The club has posted probably the most comprehensive injury update report on all of the player bar AJ on the website today. Hope they keep this up.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quick wrap for those that haven't watched the video:

McGlynn having more calf issues...not a great sign for someone his age and with his history of soft tissue injuries.

Heeney's knee tendonitis has flared up again but nothing major.

Foote unable to run at the moment due to a shin complaint.

Talia had minor finger surgery after a training mishap.

Buddy having slightly more serious finger surgery next week, back in January. (I assume he will still be doing plenty of running though)

McVeigh had knee surgery post-season and is currently nearing of the end of 3 months without running, expected to start again at Christmas time.

Jones had similar but less serious surgery than McVeigh, first lot of running this week. Disappointing as I was hoping his pre-season would be massive.

Parker back doing 100% of the running.

K.Jack doing roughly 50% of the running.

Reid - running and kicking but not participating in full drills yet (cautious approach)

Naismith - only just started running recently...sounds like he is coming from a long way back. Explains the desperation at recruiting Sinclair.

Do we normally have this many issues in November? Seems like more than usual although I can't remember ever seeing a report this extensive so it may have just been that we were kept in the dark.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    ............ Do we normally have this many issues in November? Seems like more than usual although I can't remember ever seeing a report this extensive so it may have just been that we were kept in the dark.
    A depressing read given we have absolutely NO depth :-(

Gee we really need those fringe players to step up quickly!

Opti-pessi-misti
    There's no need to rush McVeigh and McGlynn. It will enable Hanners, Parks and Mitchell to take on more responsibility and see who from the tier below can step up. I hope they don't rush Mills. It is unfortunate that Heeney has picked up so many injuries in his first year - you can almost make a case to say that he was not managed well. He started off with a bang in the forward line but by the end of the season he was back, forward, all over the park when Parks and Jack were out - was it too much for him?

Veterans List
    That is a pretty nasty injury list for November!

Veterans List
    Quick wrap for those that haven't watched the video:

McGlynn having more calf issues...not a great sign for someone his age and with his history of soft tissue injuries.

Heeney's knee tendonitis has flared up again but nothing major.

Foote unable to run at the moment due to a shin complaint.

Talia had minor finger surgery after a training mishap.

Buddy having slightly more serious finger surgery next week, back in January. (I assume he will still be doing plenty of running though)

McVeigh had knee surgery post-season and is currently nearing of the end of 3 months without running, expected to start again at Christmas time.

Jones had similar but less serious surgery than McVeigh, first lot of running this week. Disappointing as I was hoping his pre-season would be massive.

Parker back doing 100% of the running.

K.Jack doing roughly 50% of the running.

Reid - running and kicking but not participating in full drills yet (cautious approach)

Naismith - only just started running recently...sounds like he is coming from a long way back. Explains the desperation at recruiting Sinclair.

Do we normally have this many issues in November? Seems like more than usual although I can't remember ever seeing a report this extensive so it may have just been that we were kept in the dark.
    McGlynn - replaceable
    Heeney - hope it stays minor
    Foote - Rookie
    Talia - Minor
    Buddy - 2 weeks off for goodness sake
    McVeigh- a seasoned player who has a hardened body so will come to hand quickly
    Jones - Running already. No great setback. He won't take a break over the festive season to catch up.
    Parker - why is he on the list
    Jack - typical slow build up of a seasoned player
    Reid - Doesn't mean he is not fit
    Naismith - a 1 game player

Hardly a list of gloom and doom. Of that list Heeney is my only concern.

I just listed everyone that was mentioned in the video...they mentioned Parker because he's returning from a reasonably serious injury, same with Jack and Reid.

Veteran Site Admin
    Better a list like that in November than in February. Or August.

I share Nico's view that none is too bad from a list point of view. From an individual player perspective, it is sad to read that McGlynn is having ongoing problems with soft tissues. It does sound like the end might be quite close for him, given his history and age. But from a team perspective, we have few champing at the bit to fill his role, and he barely played in the second half of last season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Parker - why is he on the list
    Preseason running is often either endurance (for baseline fitness) or straight line sprinting.
    After his injury, doing these uni-directional runs is different to agility & ball-work, which would exert more force on his recovering injury.
    He could do the easier running at 100% but might not manage the more difficult stuff as comfortably or as well.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    There's no need to rush McVeigh and McGlynn. It will enable Hanners, Parks and Mitchell to take on more responsibility and see who from the tier below can step up.
    Hanners is a dual All Australian and the current of the Coaches Award Player of the Year - he is not a tier below anyone

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Hanners is a dual All Australian and the current of the Coaches Award Player of the Year - he is not a tier below anyone
    I think he was referring to the tier below Hannebery, Parker and Mitchell...i.e Lloyd, Cunningham, B.Jack, Robinson etc.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Senior Player
    I think he was referring to the tier below Hannebery, Parker and Mitchell...i.e Lloyd, Cunningham, B.Jack, Robinson etc.
    Ah yes, I see that now. Apologies, rojo, I take it back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast