Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodesy article

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Goodesy article

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Does anyone know if the club has plans yet for a Goodesy celebration in 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    No Cookies | Herald Sun

Does anyone know if the club has plans yet for a Goodesy celebration in 2016?
    Magnificent piece of writing, notwithstanding the fact that it is published in the second-worst newspaper in the country.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks for putting it up, Sandridge. It's a must-read and I'd have missed it otherwise.

And I do respect Richard Hinds as a journalist.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Warming the Bench
    And because it has been published in that rag, the usual suspects are out in force justifying their puerile views if you read the comments below the article. Richards Hinds can only hope to educate them, but I am afraid that they still think there is nothing wrong with the booing. Unfortunately it has turned me off going to the football... Some people are oxygen thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    And because it has been published in that rag, the usual suspects are out in force justifying their puerile views if you read the comments below the article. Richards Hinds can only hope to educate them, but I am afraid that they still think there is nothing wrong with the booing. Unfortunately it has turned me off going to the football... Some people are oxygen thieves.
    I have a policy of never reading the comments. It's the only way to remain sane in the internet age. I do have occasional lapses but I always pay a heavy price.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Great article****** Now it is time for reviewing the season, it is good to see the role of commentary teams in what unfolded being highlighted.

I too would love to know well ahead of time if or what the Swans might be planning in order to give him the send off he deserves. I would make the effort to fly north!

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Great article****** Now it is time for reviewing the season, it is good to see the role of commentary teams in what unfolded being highlighted.

I too would love to know well ahead of time if or what the Swans might be planning in order to give him the send off he deserves. I would make the effort to fly north!
    Yes, the "sitting on the fence" attitude of a number of senior commentators was lamentable, and people like Dermott Brereton just disgraced themselves. But as Hinds suggests, the timorousness of the AFL leadership was the worst feature of this whole affair. Putting commercial considerations ahead of principle in a matter of such importance confirmed my already low opinion of McLachlan. I was never Demetriou's greatest fan, but I doubt he would have failed to rise to this challenge in the way McLachlan did. It was a defining moment for him, and he was not equal to it.

Veterans List
    I stay away from reading any comments attached to articles about Goodes. It's too depressing otherwise.

I don't think much of James Hird after his behaviour recently, but I have to commend him for his comments yesterday about the AFLs lack of leadership with the Goodes situation this year. He said that the AFL should have come out from the start and condemned the booing as it was disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I stay away from reading any comments attached to articles about Goodes. It's too depressing otherwise.

I don't think much of James Hird after his behaviour recently, but I have to commend him for his comments yesterday about the AFLs lack of leadership with the Goodes situation this year. He said that the AFL should have come out from the start and condemned the booing as it was disgraceful.
    I think Hird was using it as a forum to 'stick it up' the AFL for his own treatment by them. His views on Adam's treatment was good though.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    They've taken the comment section away. Probably for the best.

The point that sport is not used to confronting reality is only half true. Due to extensive media coverage, sport is generally forced to very publicly confront reality. The difference here seems to be that the AFL weren't able to definitively gauge from the public what stance they should take. It's usually quite easy for the AFL to appear decisive when it comes to player indiscretions and the like as there's usually a resounding chorus for them to sing along to.

It was an extraordinary situation. I've watched a lot of sport in my 38 years and I've never witnessed anything like it. It was ugly and I cringed with every jeer. I've watched Adams entire career and it's clear to me that he never did anything in his actions or demeanour when playing the game that would warrant such an extensive barrage of hate.

If you think he plays for free kicks or you think he gets special attention from the umpire, that's not a reason to systematically boo a player every time he touches the ball. If you argue that you have the right to boo at the football, that's fine. I've booed players (and umpires). This just wasn't as innocent as that. This kept happening at multiple grounds across Australia.

When you take away the lame arguments for people to dislike Adam Goodes you're left with a talented, accomplished, intelligent Indigenous role model. This is what is so embarrassing for the game. The AFL haplessly attempted to deal with it but ultimately stretched it out to the end of the season and pretty much admitted that they gave up by announcing that they couldn't guarantee that Adam wouldn't be booed on Grand Final day. A very weak effort for a genuine star of the game. Booooo!!!!!

Unfortunately there's still a lot of morons out there that just don't like being called out on ignorant behaviour.

Did this ever find its way on to RWO?

400 Bad Request

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Number 43 View Post
    Did this ever find its way on to RWO?

400 Bad Request
    I think it did, Number 43. I've read it before but great to read it again. Brilliant!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast