Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best 5 Swans wins from the modern era

Just watched Rnd 8 2006 against Bulldogs.
    Forgot what a solid player Luke Ablett was, not flashy but very good.
    From what I have heard after his playing days he is a very nice, ethical man.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Luke was a much underrated player, as was Ben Mathews, another who was far from flashy but a solid defender.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I remember Teaser playing a blinder against Collingwood at Vic Park in 1977 and we beat the Pies - those days didn't happen much - happy days for a schoolboy
    Was that the day he kicked 14?
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    ..... also a game in 1977 against StKilda at home Teaser took a screamer and everyone was saying that will be mark of the year only for Trevor Barker to take a hangar over Ricky Quade in front of the members stand 10 minutes later....
    I was there too, as a primary school kid with my father. I remember it the other way around, with Barker taking the first grab and Teaser following up a few minutes later. Either way, Teaser's grab (which I still maintain was better than Barker's far more replayed effort) was THE seminal moment in my life as a Swans supporter - Grand finals and all the rest included.

I started life as a third generation Bloods fan but went through a few years of trying to be a Saints supporter, because every kid at my bayside primary school went for St Kilda and I was the lone Swan. Peer group pressure took its toll.

My father was smart and patient enough not to apply any overt pressure on me to revert - instead, he took me to a few token Saints games each year, but mostly still to Swans matches (which meant about 16 a year in those pre-move days) and was content to let heredity do its work.

So we were always going to be at that game, given it was "my" team against my dad's. We were on the half forward line, not far from where both marks occurred. When Teaser took his grab, I remember erupting and cheering hysterically ...... And then I recalled I was in a Saints jumper .......

It was at that precise instant that I gave up my soulless pretence of barracking for St Kilda. Even as a primary school kid, I knew enough to know from that burst of unbridled joy that my heart was red and white, whatever I might try to tell my mates in the schoolyard, or my old man. So I went back to being the only Swans follower at my school, became a lifelong fan of the most important bearded miracle worker to ever walk this earth, and to this day enjoy going to the football with my father - although officially barracking for the same team.

A post script. Someone mentioned the Barry Mitchell game at Pie Park. That was 1986 and my father and I were there too. Given we were seven goals down a little before 3/4 time, I was beside myself when we won against all odds, and all sense of self preservation deserted me. Wearing a Swans scarf, I let my pleasure at the victory be known to all around me as I exited the ground. My poor father, a peaceful and restrained gentleman, had to physically intervene to protect me from being publicly lynched by a couple of violently embittered, snaggle-toothed Magpie lowlife. Another immortal memory ...And if anyone doubts me, read this account of the Pie fans' behaviour that day: Mayhem at Victoria Park - collingwoodfc.com.au
    Last edited by Velour&Ruffles; 16th January 2016 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I was there too, as a primary school kid with my father. I remember it the other way around, with Barker taking the first grab and Teaser following up a few minutes later. Either way, Teaser's grab (which I still maintain was better than Barker's far more replayed effort) was THE seminal moment in my life as a Swans supporter - Grand finals and all the rest included.

I started life as a third generation Bloods fan but went through a few years of trying to be a Saints supporter, because every kid at my bayside primary school went for St Kilda and I was the lone Swan. Peer group pressure took its toll.

My father was smart and patient enough not to apply any overt pressure on me to revert - instead, he took me to a few token Saints games each year, but mostly still to Swans matches (which meant about 16 a year in those pre-move days) and was content to let heredity do its work.

So we were always going to be at that game, given it was "my" team against my dad's. We were on the half forward line, not far from where both marks occurred. When Teaser took his grab, I remember erupting and cheering hysterically ...... And then I recalled I was in a Saints jumper .......

It was at that precise instant that I gave up my soulless pretence of barracking for St Kilda. Even as a primary school kid, I knew enough to know from that burst of unbridled joy that my heart was red and white, whatever I might try to tell my mates in the schoolyard, or my old man. So I went back to being the only Swans follower at my school, became a lifelong fan of the most important bearded miracle worker to ever walk this earth, and to this day enjoy going to the football with my father - although officially barracking for the same team.

A post script. Someone mentioned the Barry Mitchell game at Pie Park. That was 1986 and my father and I were there too. Given we were seven goals down a little before 3/4 time, I was beside myself when we won against all odds, and all sense of self preservation deserted me. Wearing a Swans scarf, I let my pleasure at the victory be known to all around me as I exited the ground. My poor father, a peaceful and restrained gentleman, had to physically intervene to protect me from being publicly lynched by a couple of violently embittered, snaggle-toothed Magpie lowlife. Another immortal memory ...And if anyone doubts me, read this account of the Pie fans' behaviour that day: Mayhem at Victoria Park - collingwoodfc.com.au
    Wow that's a good get V&R. My memory is Mitch slotted the winner on the siren, but obviously not.

The description of the crowd was in accordance with my memory. They were totally feral.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Was that the day he kicked 14?
    no - he played in the ruck and dominated

Senior Player
    I agree. The 1996 H & A season was awesome. After winning one game in 1993, four in 1994, eight in 1995 with the arrival of Plugger, Roos and Maxfield, we went 16-1-5 in 1996. My favourites were wiping out North by about 80 at Princes Park, beating Geelong in frount of 44,000 people at home by eight goals or so, and the sight of Plugger soccering the ball along the ground towards the boundary with our entire team within 50M of Richmond's goal in the dying seconds of the game against Richmond at Waverley Park as we held on to win by one point.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There were many magical games from 1996. I suspect part of it was that Swans fans weren't used to following a successful team, and hence every great victory seemed special. But yes, that Carlton game stands out, even amongst the many other memorable wins that year.

Another favourite of mine was the 1998 game against Port at the SCG. Kelly did his knee in the first half, and the team looked on the ropes. But they lifted, and Plugger, in particular had an outstanding second half. He kicked 12 goals for the game and, from memory, nine came in the second half. A couple were monster kicks that even Buddy would have been impressed with.

Most have been covered, but here are my favourites over the years.

1987 vs Essendon - 36.22 still the 3rd highest score ever and smashed the Bombers by 163. Middle game in a 3 game hot streak.
    1993 vs Melbourne - First win in 26 games. Huge celebration as the drought was broken. Ozzie kicked 10
    1994 vs Adelaide - Modra got in trouble midweek, so the Crows suspended him because they figured they could beat the Swans without him. Whoops.
    1995 vs Carlton - Blues undefeated and only dropped one other game that year. Smashed them by 12 goals.
    1995 vs Fitzroy - Granted the Lions were marching towards the grave, but Lockett kicked 16 without a miss.
    1996 vs Richmond - Richo's goal in the dying minutes disallowed due to illegal sheparding on Dunkley on the goal line.
    1996 vs Carlton - Blues were still the dominant team at this stage, but knocking them off at Princes Park was a big statement.
    1996 vs North Melbourne - The Roos would go on to win the premiership, but not before being belted at Princes Park in Roosy's 300th
    1996 vs West Coast - With other results already played this was a battle for the minor premiership, won the slog in shocking conditions
    1998 vs Geelong - Lockett went on a rampage in the first half before shutting up shop in the 2nd. A rare win at Geelong.
    1999 vs North Melbourne - Roos got the jump in the first half and stopped dead in the 2nd. Ran them down to win by 2. Maxfield and Kelly huge.
    2001 vs North Melbourne - "Boo a Roo", 10 goal last quarter, won by 80.
    2001 vs North Melbourne - As if the first edition of "Boo a Roo" wasn't enough, held them to 3 goals all night, won by 100+ and put an end to the "Sydney experiment"
    2002 vs Carlton - Blues goalless in second half, biggest ever win at Carlton. Nick Daffy's goal the highlight of his Sydney career.
    2002 vs North Melbourne (again!) - Cresswell free kick on the siren.
    2002 vs St Kilda (draw) - I'm kidding of course, this game is universally panned by everyone as the worst game in history
    2002 vs Richmond - The "Choose Roos" game. Farewelled Kelly and Dunkley in style.
    2005 vs Brisbane - Never in it all night, Barry Hall goal after the siren to win
    2006 vs Richmond - Outclassed the Tigers all day. 100+ win without getting out of 3rd gear.
    2011 vs Geelong - Broke the Cats winning streak
    2012 vs Hawthorn - Ran away in the last quarter in Tassie, Goodes breaks Swans game record, win by 37.
    2014 vs Geelong - Destroyed the Cats, they had only 2 goals at 3 quarter time.
    2014 vs Port Adelaide - Buddy brilliance in the dying minutes

Senior Player
    Well it seems that tomorrow will be just the day to determine just how well our respective memories serve us. Tomorrow is Swans day on fox footy and from midnight tonight until midnight tomorrow night the viewer is treated to 24 straight hours of memorable Swans victories. Many of the games mentioned above will be featured. Pretty much from '96 onwards though by the looks. Need to hook up with my truck driving mate to see if he has any of those keep me ups. 24 hours is pretty serious.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Looking back at the 2005 GF I forgot how many relatively simple goals Magic missed ( and it was the same in the 2006 GF ) .

Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Looking back at the 2005 GF I forgot how many relatively simple goals Magic missed ( and it was the same in the 2006 GF ) .
    Even the greatest of players have their faults, and for Magic Micky O', that was his tendency to get the goal kicking yips - how it would of been great to settle the nerves had he nailed one of those several misses in 2005 however!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234