Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big bash lessons for AFL

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I only know it is on when it interrupts my viewing of The Project :-).
    ...and you don't admit that to just anyone

80,000 packing the MCG and a sell out at Etihad are pretty good indicators that this isn't a flash in the pan.
    Test cricket continues it's decline...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Do the mods think the RWO Swans Chat was getting too much traffic, so they moved this off to the thread graveyard of "General footy chat" which no one reads.

Good way to kill an interesting discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Test cricket continues it's decline...
    People like to say that but is it really true? Certainly not for an Ashes series. And the Adelaide Oval day/night test with initiatives such as cut price tickets for the night sessions was extremely popular. Even the first day of the SCG test (the rest of the match was rained out) against a poor West Indies team had a good crowd (over 30,000).

I do think there are lessons to be learnt for test series, with pricing being a key one. Ticket prices for the SCG test were ridiculous. But I don't think tests are a doomed product. Well, I certainly hope not.

You're right.
    Test cricket is as boring and poorly attended as it ever was

Must be a generational thing.

Yes, test cricket is well and truly in decline but it could be saved by the simplest of measures.
    Play tests over four days with teams allocated a set number of possible overs to be used over two innings.
    The fifth day is reserved for any interruptions.
    WRT BBL the probable lessons are probably that summer is open to a football league of some sort like a 2nd tier championship, SOO or IRS.
    Your not even comparing oranges with apples but oranges with potatoes.
    give it to the game

Screw with the test format and you lose whoever is left.
    And tests are gone more quickly.
    They are a finite entity. Guess they had a good run

I love the BBL but I think it just complements test cricket and the 50 over format.

And it certainly is a game changer in terms of economics and player opportunities at the first class level. In five years the BBL has created a viable career path in cricket (and a very lucrative one at that) for at least an extra 100 players in Australia. In an age where talented sportsmen, who are usually good and cricket and a football code, this is a real win for cricket.

Lose test cricket and you lose the game's soul and heritage. Over-expose T20 and you kill the goose that is laying the golden egg. The three forms can co-exist

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Lose test cricket and you lose the game's soul and heritage. Over-expose T20 and you kill the goose that is laying the golden egg. The three forms can co-exist
    Australian Football is probably the best example of a sport that has evolved over time. Some of the original laws of the game are the complete opposite of today.
    You couldn't pick the ball up of the ground but rather soccer it and pick the ball up on the hop.
    Also you couldn't tackle a player, so how did you take possession ? Well you pushed him (in the back) and hacked (tripped).
    There is argument as to whether we should let the game further evolve or bring in laws to preserve the older nature of the game.
    American Football has a lot of rules specifically designed to ensure there is no evolution.
    Soccer has had few but important tweaks. The creation of a penalty box and the removal of back-passing to the goalie.
    Rugby has had numerous small changes with little apparent effect.
    W.R.T. test cricket we're not talking about any evolution but underlining the fundamentals. That is, people want to see cricket played at test cricket rate and they want to see a result. Playing for a draw or the weather is not a true contest. So dividing up the allotted time into available overs, half to each team to be used as desired, not only seems fair but probably the original general intent of the game before the emergence of block-athons.. Having one team bat endlessly and then leave insufficient time to bowl out the other team has lost many people. Undoubtedly BBL is popular but I wonder how long it takes people to realise that it already exists in the form of baseball.
    give it to the game

Unfortunately for test cricket, kids just don't have the attention span these days.
    Even with their smart phones at a game, a day at a test match it an endurance.
    And they don't really watch TV any more.
    I remember when the ODI's came in and it was great. Sitting in the lounge room with the aircon on full blast. A swim half way through.
    Too hot outside to do anything else, and there were only 4 other channels to flick through.

There is actually a risk that ODI's will be the first to go.
    10/10 is the same thing but lasts 3 hours instead of a full day, and is more exciting.
    We used to have two teams come out for a what? 12 games? Then the two better teams would play off in 3 finals.
    now it's one side, best of 5.

The best thing the Big bash has going for it is the regional teams.
    Like AFL, it enables rivalries between friends.
    Unlike tests and ODI's where everyone in Australia pretty much wants the same thing.
    I'm more inclined to watch a Big Bash between the Scorchers and the Strikers than a 20/20 between Australia and India - probably because of the way the games are on, you can pretty much turn on channel 10 every night and watch a game.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    The best thing the Big bash has going for it is the regional teams. Like AFL, it enables rivalries between friends.

Unlike tests and ODI's where everyone in Australia pretty much wants the same thing.
    Ha! Tell that to the 20,000 (my guess) Indian-Australians at the SCG where I've been tonight. Great atmosphere, great that it was only won with two balls left, and appropriate that India should win.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Ha! Tell that to the 20,000 (my guess) Indian-Australians at the SCG where I've been tonight. Great atmosphere, great that it was only won with two balls left, and appropriate that India should win.
    Don't they love the game? I saw them applauding Australian boundaries!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I was in India during the world cup in 2011. Ruled all of their lives while it was on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast