Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bombers - gonski !

This easy-to-read article from The Age is one of the better summaries I've read.

CAS' Essendon verdict damns players for 'lack of curiosity'

The Adelaide Advertiser headlined yesterday that clubs who recruited Essendon players who shave since been suspended want Essendon to pay their salaries for 2016 and potentially have top up players.
    These clubs recruited many of the players knowing they were under investigation & there was a risk of a ban. Why should they be compensated?
    If Tippett knocked himself out & had to spend a year out of the game would Sydney expect the Crows to pay his salary?! If Hawthorn knew about Buddy's mental health issues & we didn't, should they pay out his contract if he can't play for us because of the issues?

David Koch has been particularly vocal about this, saying it is unfair that Essendon is allowed to recruit top up players while Port and the other two clubs cannot.

He is being disingenuous though. Essendon have 12 current players suspended and are allowed 10 top ups and can upgrade two rookies - so a net loss of two from their total playing list. Port have two players suspended and can upgrade two rookies, so have an equivalent net loss of two from their list.

Koch has also said it is unfair that Essendon will end up with a total list of 43 while Port will have only 42. Again this is disingenuous as Essendon have an Irish rookie, so I assume always had one additional player on their list. Port could have had the same had they wished to recruit an international player.

And as you have said, the situation for these clubs is no different than it is for any other club that loses a player long-term as a result of suspension or injury. (Essendon being allowed 10 top-ups being an acknowledgment they could not field a team otherwise). The Swans have in practice been one short in their total playing list for three years because we have been carrying Alex Johnson on the long-term injury list. We have not been allowed a top-up player to cover for Johnson (nor should we have been).

I do have some sympathy with Port in regard to Monfries whom they recruited before any of this was known. But on the other hand arguably they were only able to recruit Ryder, and at a reduced trade cost, because of the suspension threat hanging over his head.

Good article on this here:

"If the Power are in hindsight so alarmed by the potential consequences for Monfries without knowledge of what was to ensue, why did they so eagerly pursue his former teammate Paddy Ryder at the end of 2014, by which time the scandal had been in the public arena for nearly two years?

On that score, his (David Koch) claim for compensation is about as reasonable as Port Adelaide's opponents seeking recompense for lost gate receipts during the time Port were a rabble as a result of their own administrative decisions."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...13-gm592i.html

Bombers - gonski !

The suspended players I feel most sorry for are those who were no longer with an AFL club but were still earning an income or part-income from Australian Rules. I wonder how many of those will still get paid this year - and will be re-employed in 2017?

I was surprised to see how many there were in this category when I read the attached article which provided the following list:

"AT OTHER AFL CLUBS: Jake Carlisle (St Kilda), Jake Melksham (Melbourne), Angus Monfries (Port Adelaide), Paddy Ryder (Port Adelaide), Stewart Crameri (Western Bulldogs).

AT WAFL CLUBS: Cory Dell�Olio (South Fremantle), Leroy Jetta (Peel Thunder), Brendan Lee (East Perth).

OTHERS:
    Dustin Fletcher (retired)
    David Hille (retired)
    Sam Lonergan (retired, now coaching Launceston in Tasmania's State Football League)
    Nathan Lovett-Murray (retired, now coach of Rumbalara, in Victoria's Murray Football League)
    Mark McVeigh (retired, now an assistant coach at Greater Western Sydney)
    Scott Gumbleton (retired, now playing with Banyule in Victoria's Northern Football League)
    Alwyn Davey (de-listed, now playing with Palmerston in Northern Territory Footabll League)
    Luke Davis (de-listed, now playing with Aberfeldie in Essendon Districts Football League)
    Ricky Dyson (de-listed, now playing with Bundoora in Victoria's Northern Football League)
    Brent Prismall (de-listed, now playing with Footscray in Victorian Football League)
    Kyle Hardingham (de-listed, now playing with Essendon in Victorian Football League)
    Alex Browne (de-listed)
    Henry Slattery (de-listed, now coaching Nooriootpa in South Australia's Barossa Light and Gawler Football Association)
    Ariel Steinberg (de-listed, now playing with Williamstown in Victorian Football League)"

BANNED BOMBERS: Where are they now? - The West Australian

Further to goswannies above post re clubs seeking compo & players to cover for the suspension of ex-Bombers, I see that St. Kilda are asking to be able to recruit an additional rookie to cover for the suspended Carlisle.

I won't be outraged if this is granted - but would expect that we (and any other club) who have a player out for the year are allowed to do the same. In our case, I understand that Alex Johnson will (sadly) again be out for the whole 2016 season, which I assume means we will upgrade a rookie. If St Kilda are given approval to recruit an additional rookie, then approval should be given to the Swans to do the same.

"Saints CEO Matt Finnis said on Sunday the club would upgrade a rookie to the senior list to replace Carlisle but would like the opportunity to add another player as a rookie so they were not disadvantaged."

St Kilda wants extra rookie over Carlisle ban - AFL.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Further to goswannies above post re clubs seeking compo & players to cover for the suspension of ex-Bombers, I see that St. Kilda are asking to be able to recruit an additional rookie to cover for the suspended Carlisle.

I won't be outraged if this is granted - but would expect that we (and any other club) who have a player out for the year are allowed to do the same. In our case, I understand that Alex Johnson will (sadly) again be out for the whole 2016 season, which I assume means we will upgrade a rookie. If St Kilda are given approval to recruit an additional rookie, then approval should be given to the Swans to do the same.

"Saints CEO Matt Finnis said on Sunday the club would upgrade a rookie to the senior list to replace Carlisle but would like the opportunity to add another player as a rookie so they were not disadvantaged."

St Kilda wants extra rookie over Carlisle ban - AFL.com.au
    I love him, but it's seriously time to let AJ go.
    Of course, we'll ensure that his health needs are met... but he's just clogging up a space on the list.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

How does everyone feel about Dyson Heppell being on AFL360 this season?
    Regardless of how it happened, at this stage he has been found guilty of doping to gain an advantage.
    I like Dyson, but I don't think that this is a good look.

The bombers are still front and centre in the news also.
    - They are about to start training as a group.
    - The 1st female field umpire is about the take centre stage against, you guessed it, Essendon.
    Last edited by YvonneH; 24th February 2016 at 08:41 AM.

I agree with your comments about Heppell and I also don't think it is a good look. I like AFL360 but one criticism I do have is that, they have have the same players on Tuesday nights. I would much rather that rotated and had different players form ALL clubs. Surely with the technology available they could organize this.

The AFL don't seem to care about what's a 'good look' with them coming out and saying "we feel sorry for the players" etc
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

What a fiasco this season will be for the Bombers if last night was any indication. A 105 point loss.
    For the teams that play them twice what a percentage booster it may turn out to be and could mean the difference between finals or not.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    What a fiasco this season will be for the Bombers if last night was any indication. A 105 point loss.
    For the teams that play them twice what a percentage booster it may turn out to be and could mean the difference between finals or not.
    Once their initial fight wears off this season will be an absolute carve up, I simply cannot wait

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345