Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodesy Again

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Goodesy Again

There's a very good interview/article on Adam by Nikki Barrowclough in today's SMH/Age Good Weekend. I couldn't find it online but it's worth getting the hard copy.

Correction - it's here:http://www.theage.com.au/good-weeken...11-gm39aa.html
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Very good article. They only got one thing wrong. The booing did not start after the war dance in the Carlton match, it started against Hawthorn in round 8.

Goodes features prominently in this article as well:

Australia�s Day for Secrets, Flags and Cowards

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Very good article. They only got one thing wrong. The booing did not start after the war dance in the Carlton match, it started against Hawthorn in round 8.
    I beg to differ. It was evident towards the end of the 2014 season and was loud and ugly during the 2014 grand final. It was present, at varying volumes, for pretty much the whole of the 2015 season.

To suggest it was a response to Goodes' war dance is to misrepresent the events of the season - or more accurately, the last couple of seasons. An AFL article on the high and lowlights of 2015 made the same inaccurate assertion. If anything, I reckon Goodes' dance was, in part, a response to the booing. It was a statement that he was proud of his culture and wasn't going to be denied this right by the incessant bullying. I admit I am guessing somewhat, in that I haven't heard/read Goodes say that.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I beg to differ. It was evident towards the end of the 2014 season and was loud and ugly during the 2014 grand final. It was present, at varying volumes, for pretty much the whole of the 2015 season.

To suggest it was a response to Goodes' war dance is to misrepresent the events of the season - or more accurately, the last couple of seasons. An AFL article on the high and lowlights of 2015 made the same inaccurate assertion. If anything, I reckon Goodes' dance was, in part, a response to the booing. It was a statement that he was proud of his culture and wasn't going to be denied this right by the incessant bullying. I admit I am guessing somewhat, in that I haven't heard/read Goodes say that.

Even though there was some booing in 2014 it didn't really continue big time until the Hawks match in 2015. I have watched every game 3 times and am on my 4th time on each game. Until the Hawks game no booing as such, maybe the odd boo but not constant loud booing like in the Hawks match. The usual booing any player gets until then.

ARE SUGGESTING i SAID THE BOOING DIDN'T START UNTIL THE CARLTON GAME? AT NO TIME DID I SUGGEST THE BOOING STARTED WITH THE WAR DANCE. I SUGGESTED THE ARTICLE GOT THAT WRONG.

In fact Goodes did say that he wanted to show his heritage by doing the war dance after the game. He also said it wasn't directed at the Carlton cheer squad, which it wasn't as you can see on the replay, it was just to the crowd. He was simply copying the U16 Indigenous war dance.

Yes the Hawthorn crowd were disgusting during the 2014 GF but I don't believe there was huge booing of Goodes until that match. Not the stuff that came out of the season just gone. Certainly during that match. But there seems to have been a hiatus after 2014 and the booing is not really noticeable until round 8 against Hawks. It is very noticeable if you watch the Cats and Dees games. In the Dees game there is no booing and the Cats very little but the next game against Hawks WOW! You'd think Goodsie was a serial killer the way they carried on. I watched all three matches on the same day and it was incredibly noticeable.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Wonderful article! Thanks for posting dimelb!

Stan Grant's speech at the Intelligence Squared debate with a focus on Adam Goodes' experience has been going around again. You can view it here:

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/stan-...leave-for-jth/

The entire debate can be found here: http://www.iq2oz.com/debates/racism-is-destroying/

I've posted this once before. It is a magnificent speech. An absolute must for every Australian, especially Swans' fans.

Actually the booing is in evidence in 2011 (yeah, me bad, but.....) and earlier. Tall poppy syndrome with bells on.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Stan Grant's speech at the Intelligence Squared debate with a focus on Adam Goodes' experience has been going around again. You can view it here:

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/stan-...leave-for-jth/

The entire debate can be found here: http://www.iq2oz.com/debates/racism-is-destroying/

I've posted this once before. It is a magnificent speech. An absolute must for every Australian, especially Swans' fans.
    Thank you for sharing this outstanding piece of journalism with us.
    The passion and precision with which the speech was delivered only reinforces the accuracy and relevance of the content.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Yeah, the systematic booing was definitely present at the games in Melbourne during 2014, presumably as a response to his being appointed Australian of the Year. It ramped up in 2015 once the Melbourne media circus really got going.

My understanding of the war-dance was that it was meant to be a special feature of the Indigenous Round; planned by Goodes and Jetta (as witnessed by the fact that the dance would have been performed by Jetta if he'd kicked the first goal). The celebration was then "interpreted" by sections of the media in the light of the racist booing.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    That's not what the article said. It said that it was the war dance which sparked the national debate, which is correct. The article also said (again correctly) that the booing dated back to 2013. I go to every Melbourne game (and a few elsewhere) and with all due respect to Primmy I don't believe there was any abnormal booing earlier than that. I don't think there is any doubt that it started after the 2013 "ape" incident.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Actually it started in 2013 after Goodsey was called out for diving. From memory at was around the time that we were playing Hawthorn. It just got worse as time went on and climaxed in 2015 after it got media exposure and everyone jumped onto the bandwagon for @@@@s and giggles.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast