Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intra Club

While agree with much of MP's assessment, particularly with regard to Hewitt and Newman, l thought BJ lost some ground to others looking to step up. Mills came into the game late but I thought Towers was very effective and made in roads against all comers. His tackling and defensive pressure in the absence of Rohan, McVeigh and McGlynn was outstanding.

I thought the most pleasing aspects were the attitudes of Tippett and Franklin. Both played flat out and when Reid was on the field they were unstoppable.

Saw something I thought didn't need to be on display in an intra-match when Sinclair clipped Sam Murray high and late, then followed up with bad mouthing and attitude. Didn't mind the aggression but if it had been a bit more evident during the GF, it would have been a lot more convincing.

Only injury concern was Sam Reid with what looked to be precautionary treatment for a corked thigh and a bloody nose for Tom Mitchell after an incident with AA.

Interesting exchange near Red dugout when Rampe (then playing for the red team) allowed a ball to go out and Blackey the Reds coach gave him an earful for not trying harder to win the ball outright.

With respect to Mills I thought he took some time to pick up the pace of the game and was caught out of position a number of times but toward the end of the evening was carrying the white defence and looked more comfortable. Although touted for his tackling, he attempted a "ball and all" tackle on Joey early in the first half, when Kennedy owned the footy, and got tossed away with a shrug of the shoulders. Lesson learned.

Parker looked fully recovered and KJ looked great as well, might have picked up a slight injury late in game.

Enjoyed Abe Davis' efforts as the only effective white target he presented well all night. Once again Nankervis disappointed with his consistency and unless he can become more involved more often may have limited oppourtunities going forward.

Really liked O'Riordan and Leondaris, absolutely raw but relentless and I would thought very coachable.

Best of the Academy top up players was one of the smallest in Ben Wilson (57), pace to burn and linked up beautifully for an entry into red's forward line early but his kicking needs to improve.

I agree more with you Graeme. I liked Davis too. I think MP missed a lot of what Towers did. He might not have hit the scoreboard a lot but caused turnovers and was clever in and under getting the ball out once it turned over.

The Big Bud was allowed to roam all over the park and in played in the mids starting at the centre bounces. He looked very fit and seemed to be enjoying himself a lot.

Agree with both re Hewett. He was sensational with 20 before half time playing on Kizza, Lukie, Tommy and Joey. Great effort I thought and hid decision making is very good. He manages to do a Lloydy and get plenty of space which gives him time to deliver.

Speaking of Lloydy he was good as usual.

Robbo is going to be a very good player.

Nick Newman should be immediately upgraded. Wonderful kick of the footy.

MP I thought Marsh's delivery was terrible. Sorry. Several times he took really good runs out of defence and looked woinderful and then either kicked the ball at his teammate's feet or over his head. Shame as the movement was very good.

O'Riordan looks good and plays much like Tadhg.

I liked Sinclair. he has a bit of mongrel although MP you are right an Intra is not the place for it. He is a good tap ruck.

Toby started well and kicked 1.1 very early but as you say just faded out.

Leonardis is going to have to learn how to take a tackle. He was monstered several times and totally lost control of the ball ea h time. his run and carry is good and he can kick which is nice.

Dawson did a couple of good things but seemed to be a bit off the pace early. He is a very long kick but needs to learn to dispose quicker.

Jack Hiscox is really quick we know but I'd like him to settle and slow just before he kicks as his field kicking is crap. He is reasonably accurate at goal 50/50, funny about that, but needs to clean up his general disposal.

BJ was good I thought. But I think he took a corkie during the second or third quarter and faded out for a while.

Was a bit peeved at the mids at times for kicking to the intercept player all the time. At one stage Sinclair manages to snare three marks in a row because the White mids insisted on kicking straight to him. First half so I will forgive them for now but if it continues into the NAB I'll be a it more than peeved.

At the other end it was Derrickx and Newman who were intercepting.

Tip & Bud both look fit and ready for the season. Joey looks sharp. Lukie & Tommy looked good and did what they had to and not much more.

Kizza was lively. But I think Hewett stitched him up at times.

Apparently Hannas, Rooster & possibly Teddy will play next week.

Sam Murray showed a bit too. Galloway showed he can mark a ball but is very raw. He is VERY TALL and skinny.

Papley was pretty good in the first but seemed to fade out of the game after.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thanks Graemed, Wolfie and others - so good to have your reports and assessments. It will be so interesting to see who gets a spot for the NAB Cup games. A couple who you didn't mention were Rosie, Aliir and also XR. How do you think they are tracking? Funny that you didn't notice Derickx - neither has anyone else!

Derickx was OK, the white team were doing OK out of the middle for a period in the 2nd half and a lot of that was TD.
    Parker and Kennedy looked really good.

Some observers will be pleased to know that Rampe appeared to be wearing a hair-band and Tippo an Alice-band (why do I notice all the wrong things).
    Ramps was VERY loud organising at the back and giving feedback ("Millsy, you've got to DEMAND that" after he got looked off, "Where's our sweeper ?", "BJ, BJ's loose !" at a ball-up).

Swans dominated, Richmond were nowhere but the back of one guys cap.

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

I don't think there's a better current thread for this and it doesn't deserve it's own thread: does anyone know what's become of Melican? Is he injured again/still?

I was frustrated I couldn't make the match. Thanks for all the reports. Disappointing to hear X is not looking too good and AA still a fair way off. I guess that's why we've invested in Talia and Laids and Ramps are stepping up, albeit not as KPDs.

I hope we get a report from Ugg too... Ugg?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I don't think there's a better current thread for this and it doesn't deserve it's own thread: does anyone know what's become of Melican? Is he injured again/still?

I was frustrated I couldn't make the match. Thanks for all the reports. Disappointing to hear X is not looking too good and AA still a fair way off. I guess that's why we've invested in Talia and Laids and Ramps are stepping up, albeit not as KPDs.

I hope we get a report from Ugg too... Ugg?
    Sorry couldn't make it. Time and place not suitable for me.

For those that did go I'm interested in the time spent in the ruck between Sinclair and Tippett? Was it 50/50 or more in Sinclair's favour?

Didn't make it, same reason as ugg plus I don't do 30C, it just doesn't work for me.
    I wouldn't be too down on X. He is a smart kid. He kind of sticks to the goal square and watches (like Peb did when he was learning). I think he has very good concentration.
    Good to hear Ramps is noisy. Taking over Shaw's persona and style I see (not the head band I mean).
    Great to think of Buddy with a smile from inside.
    Sinclair has a bit of mongrel? Good.
    Very pleased to hear Newman is a keeper. Kept an eye on him last year and he had a bit of an ability trajectory which was pleasing then.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Was it 50/50 or more in Sinclair's favour?
    I'm guessing that Sinclair must have been in there more, Tippo was playing forward a lot.
    Saw Abe do OK at one contest at least.
    Waiting for Liz to tell us what was going on in front of me
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    I'm guessing that Sinclair must have been in there more, Tippo was playing forward a lot.
    Saw Abe do OK at one contest at least.
    Waiting for Liz to tell us what was going on in front of me
    My view from Friday was that Sinclair will do the majority of our rucking. Nankervis had a good run as well but for mine will only be backup at best.

If you assume the Benny, Tom Dx and Ted will definitely be leaving then, based on our recent recruitment we'd look at an additional 1 or 2 being de-listed. I'd say that Nankervis, Xav, and AA are all under the microscope this season.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    ... Disappointing to hear X is not looking too good ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    ... I wouldn't be too down on X. He is a smart kid. He kind of sticks to the goal square and watches (like Peb did when he was learning). I think he has very good concentration...
    Isn't X coming off a leg injury?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Isn't X coming off a leg injury?
    Yeh calf-injury I believe!

If he doesn't step up this year well we can always pinch Hooker or Hurley...
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

I see plenty in x prior to this trial

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast