Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intra Club

Great reporting by Sultan (GWS fan) on big footy Sydney site (only up to half time as he had other commitments after that)

I didn't think X that bad. He got the ball a few times and was pretty good defensively. But he does have problems with decision making and disposal. He only played the first half.

Aliir was pretty good I thought. Took on the Big Bud and beat him on quite a few occasions. Sadly beaten at ground level by the Bud though. He was dreadful in the first quarter, due to his terrible disposal. Got plenty of the ball but fumbled and delivered like a suburban thirds player. Needs to start better than he does. I have noticed that in NEAFL. He doesn't seem to turn on until after quarter time. Can't afford that at AFL level, Kennedy would have kicked 10 by then.

Lewis Melican walked past us in the grandstand. He seemed alright, not in any great discomfort, but so did AJ. I think just a soft tissue injury. There are quite a few of those at this time. I think it has to do with the competitive hit out in Coffs.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 15th February 2016 at 02:22 PM.

Veterans List
    Come on Wolfie "Melican walked past us" - where was the bailing up, having a chat, telling him how RWO is right behind him and asking after his health??

You must do better than that in the future :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    My view from Friday was that Sinclair will do the majority of our rucking. Nankervis had a good run as well but for mine will only be backup at best.

If you assume the Benny, Tom Dx and Ted will definitely be leaving then, based on our recent recruitment we'd look at an additional 1 or 2 being de-listed. I'd say that Nankervis, Xav, and AA are all under the microscope this season.
    Marsh and Foote are others that will be looking over their shoulder, perhaps even more so than those you have nominated. I think this is definitely make or break year for Marsh. We kept him because he did so well in the NEAFL last year but if he's gonna break through (at least for a debut) then it's gotta be this year, surely.

Plus, was AJ's deal just one extra year? There is a limit to how long we will keep waiting for him to come good - much as we all desperately want him too (and much as we desperately need another tall down back). It might be that at least one of the new rookie recruits doesn't survive to next season also - bit like MacLaren last year.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Marsh and Foote are others that will be looking over their shoulder, perhaps even more so than those you have nominated. I think this is definitely make or break year for Marsh. We kept him because he did so well in the NEAFL last year but if he's gonna break through (at least for a debut) then it's gotta be this year, surely.

Plus, was AJ's deal just one extra year? There is a limit to how long we will keep waiting for him to come good - much as we all desperately want him too (and much as we desperately need another tall down back). It might be that at least one of the new rookie recruits doesn't survive to next season also - bit like MacLaren last year.
    Marsh has not shown enough for my liking. MP was impressed with his delivery. I wasn't. He gets it ok and runs well but after that it is all downhill. About 50/50 delivery. some of his passes were spectacular but others were not just disappointing they were the stuff that makes you throw the footy record on the ground and stamp on it. I don't know why they even bothered keeping him, rather draft another Rookie that hasn't list clogged for 3 years. Derrickx, as good as he was in the Intra, is on the way out the door. Big Toby would have to have a pretty good year too. He has one disadvantage, he's very slow, a dinosaur and Galloway showed a bity for a very young Rookie who has only played AFL seriously in the last 2 years after giving up basketball. Add to that Benny and Ted possibly retiring at the end of the year. I'll predict now they both will.

Foote has only had the one season even though he was a toppie before that. He is a goer but I think in the end poor skills will let him down. Tough, relentless, hard at it and great in and under, a Kirkie type but without Kirkie's presence. Melican is also in his second year and has not seen too much action due to injury. A lot of upside for him but if he continues to get injured he might not last. AJ will have to have a very successful op to be retained. I know we all hope but...

As to the Intra. In some ways the footy was disappointing. Not much urgency even for an Intra. The defensive work far outstripped the offensive work. Not a lot of goals kicked and we need to be able to score this year. I hope there is some remedy before the season gets going. Although Tip and Bud spent very little time forward really. Tip played more CHF after Reid went off and ruck. Sinclair played mainly ruck and CHF after Reid left too, but mainly ruck. I think the heat made a difference but it will still be hot come the season's opener so they'd better get used to it. Bud played in the mids for most of the last half, in the centre square in the third and wing.

I thought the standard last year was aweful !

Then again the guys all know how each other play and we have the same knowledge of transitions and entries into 50 so it makes for good fitness but a shocking spectacle

But the kids love it - which is important !!

OK based on the Intra and given the NAB match v Port is on this weekend its time to make some forecasts about lineups, so here goes:

First up, injuries may hinder the likelihood of a number of regulars and given this is the first trial match, selectors will be looking at the younger or untried players more closely.

Backs (8): Smith, Grundy, Rampe, Talia, Newman, Allir, Mills, Leondaris On the strength of what I saw I do not believe Dawson, Marsh and O'Riordan will play ahead of the others, although selectors may wish to see them at a later date (Laidler, Jones and Melican did not play in Intra and both Ted and X. Richards may have injuries). I would not be surprised if they rested either Reg or Smith, it would add pressure to the likely comers to perform and test the leadership of Rampe.

Mids (10): Sinclair, Derrickx, Parker, Hannebery, B Jack, Cunningham, Lloyd, Hewett, Robinson, Mitchell. I think K Jack, Heeney, Kennedy and Tippett will all get a rest.

Forwards (8): Towers, Franklin, Davis, Rose, Hiscox, Nankervis, Papley and Murray. Unsure of Rohan's situation should play if fit.

If Franklin plays he is unlikely to play more than a half.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Come on Wolfie "Melican walked past us" - where was the bailing up, having a chat, telling him how RWO is right behind him and asking after his health??

You must do better than that in the future :-)
    Can you please translate that to English?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    If Franklin plays he is unlikely to play more than a half.
    Would be strange for him to play almost every minute of an intra-club but then only half of a nab challenge game. I hope to see him playing as much of the nab challenge as possible so all his cobwebs are blown out before Round 1...the thought of losing to Collingwood at home makes me physically ill.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Saw Adam Spencer interview Amon Buchanan at Henson Park on SwansTV.
    Have I missed somehow that Amon is back with us In some capacity?
    Not sure of the spelling of Amon or Aamon.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    He was coaching the Giants NEAFL team last year. Perhaps scouting the opposition

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Can you please translate that to English?

Made perfect sense to me?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast