Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2016 preseason practice games

Coniglio, Patton, Haynes, Hoskin-Elliott and Patfull all playing NEAFL. Haven't they got some depth.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Coniglio, Patton, Haynes, Hoskin-Elliott and Patfull all playing NEAFL. Haven't they got some depth.
    Sure have, 19 players selected in the top 10, some teams have 1 or 2.

Thanks Ugg for your excellent report.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks ugg, helpfully informative report.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Thanks from me as well Ugg, I enjoyed reading your report, really informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Which is sort of interesting. Without knowing who else was playing, there are respectively, a pick one, a pick two, a pick seven and a pick four, running around in their reserves. In contrast, our team that thrashed Collingwood last night, had two top ten picks; Buddy, who was taken at five and young Mills, who cost us a number three pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Which is sort of interesting. Without knowing who else was playing, there are respectively, a pick one, a pick two, a pick seven and a pick four, running around in their reserves. In contrast, our team that thrashed Collingwood last night, had two top ten picks; Buddy, who was taken at five and young Mills, who cost us a number three pick.
    Logic says that their talent must result in success but it's no guarantee of a flag. My personal view is that if they don't make the finals in season 5 (this year) then the predictions of a GWS dynasty may not eventuate. I can't help but think the completely artificial set up of the place, the plastic fans (the away section on Saturday was sad and pathetic) and the general apathy towards them can't but provide a holiday camp atmosphere. And I think the Stevie J experiment could go horribly wrong.

They may well rue the loss against the Dees, not too many top 8 teams will lose to them. Their game against Geelong will be crucial for GWS, lose that and they could well be 0-3 if we beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Logic says that their talent must result in success but it's no guarantee of a flag. My personal view is that if they don't make the finals in season 5 (this year) then the predictions of a GWS dynasty may not eventuate. I can't help but think the completely artificial set up of the place, the plastic fans (the away section on Saturday was sad and pathetic) and the general apathy towards them can't but provide a holiday camp atmosphere. And I think the Stevie J experiment could go horribly wrong.

They may well rue the loss against the Dees, not too many top 8 teams will lose to them. Their game against Geelong will be crucial for GWS, lose that and they could well be 0-3 if we beat them.
    Yes, and if you look at Carlton, many people thought that three number one picks and Chris Judd, guaranteed them a place at the top of the table. Instead, they went in the other direction. And I do think that with GWS, it could become a situation where most of their high draft picks, once they get a few years into their contracts, will decide that they are entitled to contract upgrades, and with the salary cap, this could lead to a lot of bitterly clashing egos.

Yes, and if you look at Carlton, many people thought that three number one picks and Chris Judd, guaranteed them a place at the top of the table. Instead, they went in the other direction. And I do think that with GWS, it could become a situation where most of their high draft picks, once they get a few years into their contracts, will decide that they are entitled to contract upgrades, and with the salary cap, this could lead to a lot of bitterly clashing egos.
    If they don't make the finals this year then the wheels could really fall off.

I also think the fact that they have put their young players, highly promising young players but as yet unproven, on massive over the top multi year contracts will come back to bite them. I just think it makes them feel they've made it before they have. Plus there's the go home factor, I can see why playing for the Swans with our history and culture is exciting but I see nothing exciting about playing for that club. I cannot wait until I hear the first GWS player wanting out because "they want to play for a proper football club".

Or, "Yeah, but when I signed up, I thought there'd be beaches".

Or, "Yeah, but when I signed up, I thought there'd be beaches".
    Or, I thought there would be fans that know the difference between a Sherrin and an easter egg...

And yes, I know that comment is a bit silly but I think the lack of any fan base to speak of and a highly uneducated and docile one at that does have an impact. It leads to an absolute lack of accountability and connectivity to the players and club. Like that games at the MCG, I can guarantee 90% of the GWS fans were strategically placed behind the goals there, all 50 of them, so that they could pan the cameras there. the number of times the same GWS fans came on the telly was ridiculous. And I strongly suspect they have a rent-a-crowd happening for those matches and that even those fans are all expenses paid just to give that mob some credibility.

How embarrassing is it going to be when they play a bit final in Melbourne and take 200 supporters? Because, seriously, that is going to happen

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234