Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 preseason practice games

Pushing for Selection
    Is there a list of best players ??

I'm just wondering which side had the most top ten draft picks? Our Friday night side, or the GWS reserve side that went around on Saturday?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Hewett Jones Nankervis Rose and Newman granted special permission to play the NEAFL practice game

Im guessing they are in that group who played some NAB matches and hence require the permission whereas someone like Ted didn't play any so doesn't require permission

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Hewett Jones Nankervis Rose and Newman granted special permission to play the NEAFL practice game

Im guessing they are in that group who played some NAB matches and hence require the permission whereas someone like Ted didn't play any so doesn't require permission
    Good point, seems likely to be the explanation. Would there be some other players whom you would expect to play in this match but have not been granted "permission" but who are in similar position to Ted - that is, didn't play in NAB? Aliir Aliir? Abe Davis?

Davis didn't play last week's NEAFL practice match, even though he was named. Off the top of my head the guys who didn't play NAB but played NEAFL last week are Derickx, Aliir, O'Riordan, Melican and Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

I'm not sure it works that way. I believe you have to get permission for any senior listed players to play the week before the season meaning Ted would have to be on that list. But i could be wrong...

So you're saying Dawson BJ XR leonardis Aliir Derickx and Hiscox won't be playing tomorrow?

Veteran Site Admin
    My guess is that you need to seek permission for anyone who played in NAB 3. Players are meant to have a week off before the season starts- hence the need for "permission" if they don't get that week off. Nankervis is the odd one out of that group given permission as the only one who played in all three NAB games. Presumably the club has argued he's not really in the running for a round 1 senior game, and hence it is to his benefit to keep playing as much footy as possible.

It would certainly be a bit pointless the Swans playing a practice game with only five players.

The AFL is a bit clueless putting out the list of names with "permission" without bothering to explain what the term means. Typical of the AFL's poor communication skills in my view.

Ted indicates here that he hopes to be playing in Reserves match.

'"We've got a reserves game so I'm hoping to play in that, but at the same time if I do get ruled out of that I'm not sure what that means for round one," Richards said.'

Swans veteran disappointed with AFL tardiness on Goodes - AFL.com.au

It is confusing as Joel Selwood is on Geelong's 'permission' list (and did play yesterday) but is in the same boat as Richards re: missing the NAB Challenge.

Senior Player
    Any RWOers going to this game?
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast