Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New AFL Rules and Interpretations for 2016 Season

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    The game will only 'evolve itself' in a negative way ...
    No it won't
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I don't think it will bother Hawthorn at all. Clarkson seems to be a very adaptable coach.
    And to me, the umpires seem quite adaptable to all the little instances of rule bending and rule breaking, that Clarkson introduces. Though of course, I might be a little bit biased.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    No it won't
    Yes it will
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Yes it will
    Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

The game naturally evolves and then the AFL come in to restrict and control the evolution.
    It can't be left to be it's own beast.

The game naturally evolves and then the AFL come in to restrict and control the evolution.
    It can't be left to be it's own beast.
    It's really the level of tinkering and interference that is the problem. It has now become virtually mandatory for changes to the rules to be made every year, and changes to interpretations almost every other week. It's out of control.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    So let me make sure I'm not misunderstanding. The AFL .......the above reproach governing body of the game we all love......... has decided to muck around with the rules of the game without explaining itself or engaging in any proper consultation? Liar. LIAR!

New AFL Rules and Interpretations for 2016 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    So let me make sure I'm not misunderstanding. The AFL .......the above reproach governing body of the game we all love......... has decided to muck around with the rules of the game without explaining itself or engaging in any proper consultation? Liar. LIAR!
    In fairness, I think there has been consultation with the clubs starting (at least) as far back as draft time last year and then following with a "rules summit" in November. (See quotes/referenced articles below.)

But personally I never think the AFL explains its changes or provides easily obtainable information on a range of matters. Just finding a link to an up-to-date rules booklet, even more how to purchase a hard copy, is difficult. I don't believe the AFL is necessarily being deliberately secretive, but it is certainly not a skilled communicator to its fan base.

"The league surveyed key club officials at a meeting ahead of last month's draft in Adelaide about a number of possible rule changes or alterations, including the protected area."
    AFL looking at expanding players' protected area

"The league met AFL coaches and footy @bosses at a rules summit on Tuesday, with a @larger protected zone around the man on the mark and the nature of ruck contests @discussed. The 18 club chiefs urged the league to protect players being hurt in dangerous sling tackles."
    Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    It's really the level of tinkering and interference that is the problem. It has now become virtually mandatory for changes to the rules to be made every year, and changes to interpretations almost every other week. It's out of control.
    It's not 1920 any more. Professional game now.
    Also we live in a nanny state. The game needs to sit well with mums and the AFL lives by some perception that unless the games is seen as being 'soccer', they will lose players from the junior lever to, well... soccer.

It's not 1920 any more. Professional game now.
    Also we live in a nanny state. The game needs to sit well with mums and the AFL lives by some perception that unless the games is seen as being 'soccer', they will lose players from the junior lever to, well... soccer.
    That is hardly a defence of what the AFL is doing.

No, it's a reason.
    The defense of what the AFL are doing would be that the changes that they make generally make the game better and more enjoyable to watch.
    This is what I believe anyway.

Veterans List
    Not liking the interpretation of the deliberate out of bounds rule after just one quarter. Both sides have received a dodgy free.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast