Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 61

Thread: New AFL Rules and Interpretations for 2016 Season

  1. #13
    McVeigh for Brownlow RogueSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Posts
    4,158
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    The game will only 'evolve itself' in a negative way ...
    No it won't
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

  2. #14
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I don't think it will bother Hawthorn at all. Clarkson seems to be a very adaptable coach.
    And to me, the umpires seem quite adaptable to all the little instances of rule bending and rule breaking, that Clarkson introduces. Though of course, I might be a little bit biased.

  3. #15
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    4,953
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    No it won't
    Yes it will
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

  4. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Yes it will
    Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

  5. #17
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    4,953
    The game naturally evolves and then the AFL come in to restrict and control the evolution.
    It can't be left to be it's own beast.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

  6. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    The game naturally evolves and then the AFL come in to restrict and control the evolution.
    It can't be left to be it's own beast.
    It's really the level of tinkering and interference that is the problem. It has now become virtually mandatory for changes to the rules to be made every year, and changes to interpretations almost every other week. It's out of control.

  7. #19
    Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fools' Paradise
    Posts
    513
    So let me make sure I'm not misunderstanding. The AFL .......the above reproach governing body of the game we all love......... has decided to muck around with the rules of the game without explaining itself or engaging in any proper consultation? Liar. LIAR!

  8. #20
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    3,312

    New AFL Rules and Interpretations for 2016 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    So let me make sure I'm not misunderstanding. The AFL .......the above reproach governing body of the game we all love......... has decided to muck around with the rules of the game without explaining itself or engaging in any proper consultation? Liar. LIAR!
    In fairness, I think there has been consultation with the clubs starting (at least) as far back as draft time last year and then following with a "rules summit" in November. (See quotes/referenced articles below.)

    But personally I never think the AFL explains its changes or provides easily obtainable information on a range of matters. Just finding a link to an up-to-date rules booklet, even more how to purchase a hard copy, is difficult. I don't believe the AFL is necessarily being deliberately secretive, but it is certainly not a skilled communicator to its fan base.

    "The league surveyed key club officials at a meeting ahead of last month's draft in Adelaide about a number of possible rule changes or alterations, including the protected area."
    AFL looking at expanding players' protected area

    "The league met AFL coaches and footy @bosses at a rules summit on Tuesday, with a @larger protected zone around the man on the mark and the nature of ruck contests @discussed. The 18 club chiefs urged the league to protect players being hurt in dangerous sling tackles."
    Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports

  9. #21
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    4,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    It's really the level of tinkering and interference that is the problem. It has now become virtually mandatory for changes to the rules to be made every year, and changes to interpretations almost every other week. It's out of control.
    It's not 1920 any more. Professional game now.
    Also we live in a nanny state. The game needs to sit well with mums and the AFL lives by some perception that unless the games is seen as being 'soccer', they will lose players from the junior lever to, well... soccer.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

  10. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    It's not 1920 any more. Professional game now.
    Also we live in a nanny state. The game needs to sit well with mums and the AFL lives by some perception that unless the games is seen as being 'soccer', they will lose players from the junior lever to, well... soccer.
    That is hardly a defence of what the AFL is doing.

  11. #23
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    4,953
    No, it's a reason.
    The defense of what the AFL are doing would be that the changes that they make generally make the game better and more enjoyable to watch.
    This is what I believe anyway.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

  12. #24
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,785
    Not liking the interpretation of the deliberate out of bounds rule after just one quarter. Both sides have received a dodgy free.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO