Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New AFL Rules and Interpretations for 2016 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    You enjoy the current blocking and general chaos at the ruck contest that sees ruckmen consistently being interfered with then barry?
    Doesnt bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Doesnt bother me.
    Fair enough, and it probably doesn't massively disadvantage the swans either. I guess I am just old fashioned and think back to when rucks were a pure one on one contest.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    If the third-man up is going to help clear congestion and make for more open footy then I'm all for it.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    If the third-man up is going to help clear congestion and make for more open footy then I'm all for it.
    Yeah that's fine as long as the opposition ruckman isn't penalised for "blocking" the proper ruckman. This happened to us a number of times last year.

I see no reason to add new rules. Just inforce existing ones.
    How about removing laws. (They're not rules) One law not two.
    Every stoppage should mimic the centre bouncedown i.e. exclusion zone until ball leaves umpire's hands.
    Deliberate out - one law, remove reference to "pressure"
    Kicked out - then kick it in - one law, remove reference to kick-in.
    While we're at it, remove a multitude of laws and have kick-in as free kick 15m out.
    give it to the game

Quote Originally Posted by cos789 View Post
    How about removing laws. (They're not rules)
    Its not called Aussie Laws

Its not called Aussie Laws
    Really Barry, is that the best you can do?
    The game is formally called Australian Football and is governed by the "Laws of the game".
    give it to the game

Really Barry, is that the best you can do?
    The game is formally called Australian Football and is governed by the "Laws of the game".
    Humour is not barry's strong point....

Are you really trying to tell me the game called "aussie rules" has no "rules"?

Interesting comments in the attached article from AFL website re third man up in ruck contests.

I am a bit confused by this tactic (which became pretty common last year). Can someone clarify for me the rules around third-man-up situations. Am I right to think that an opposition player is not allowed to block the 'designated' ruckman, but can block an opposition player attempting to jump over the top ('the third man up')?

And in the case of Sandilands suspension this week, Sandilands was attempting to block Griffiths (who would have been the third man up) which was in itself a legitimate act - but he bumped Griffith high in the head which was the reason for the suspension? (Hard for Sandilands NOT to hit any player in the head - he should simply never attempt to bump).

Umpires would be happy to ban third-man up rucks, says Wayne Campbell - AFL.com.au

Cos is correct that what most of us think of as 'rules' are formally known as 'laws' - the full title being 'Laws of Australian Football'.

I was aware of that in creating this thread but virtually everyone talks about the 'laws' as 'rules' so that's what I called this discussion. Even the AFL itself often refers to 'rules' on its website when technically they mean 'laws'. For example, the article setting out the changes for this year started off referring to a 'law' and then later on referred to a 'rule'.

On the other hand, what are formally 'AFL Game Rules' are what most of us would think of as regulations. For example as below on use of the stretcher.

It's all a bit confusing!

"7.3USE OF STRETCHER
    7.3.1Health and Safety of Player
    Any Player who is injured during a Match and who, in the opinion of a doctor, trainer or Official, requires the assistance of a stretcher, shall be attended by the Team�s training staff and a stretcher as soon as possible so as to ensure the health and safety of the Player."

Veterans List
    I saw another ridiculous interpretation of the deliberate out of bounds rule in the Melbourne v Port game. The ball was bouncing towards the boundary line and the players were running full speed towards the ball. The Melbourne player took possession of the ball as he got to the boundary line and obviously momentum took him over the line. The umpire penalised him!! Even the commentators couldn't believe it was paid.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast