Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: NAB Challenge Game 1: Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide Power @ BISP

Veteran Site Admin
    Mills, Dawson, Hewitt, Leonardis, and even a few minute package from big Toby were all encouraging. And that's really what the first round of NAB Cup is about. Most of the senior players were well down on intensity, and it showed in their skill execution but it's too early to know how this will translate into the season proper.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Not sure if it was mentioned on the telecast but we played the last five or so minutes with only 17 after Rampe came off and no one came on for him. All the big guns + Heeney and Mills were on the bench by then

Liked what I saw from Hewitt, Dawson, Leonardis and Nankervis, Brandon Jack same old, same old. Unfortunately the same rubbish kicking into the forward line, is there any danger of hitting up a short pass?? Looked good when we did that, see Parker effort. I honestly believe that Nankervis, albeit slow, is the only ruckman on our list that can palm the ball to a midfielder, Sinclairs ruck work wasn't much chop...

Already have a man crush on Millsy and Dawson but concerned about Heeney.

I hope I am not mistaken, but thought a commentator mentioned that he had spoken to Tom Harley and Heeney's injury may not be too bad. Apparently it is not a structural issue. Fingers crossed.

Goes up to 11
    We have seen the first twinkles of a star in Mills. He was massive, and playing across half back showed exactly why plenty of faith is being shown in him from the outset. He should play most games this year and will be a red hot chance for the Rising Star.

We saw some good glimpses from a few youngsters today inc Hewitt, Leonardis and Dawson but Mills was head and shoulders above them and will soon be an integral part of our team.

He is quality.

Senior Player
    The standout swans for me were Mills and Towers. They both looked like they are 100% ready for AFL level footy. Lloyd was also very good just needed to improve his kicking a little bit which he is normally good at.

There were promising signs for Leonardis, Simpson and Nanko even played ok.

I was a little disappointed in talia and Sinclair for their debuts in swans jumpers but they will grow into it I'm sure.

Much to ponder for our round one team

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    I hope I am not mistaken, but thought a commentator mentioned that he had spoken to Tom Harley and Heeney's injury may not be too bad. Apparently it is not a structural issue. Fingers crossed.
    I suspect Heeney might have a mild exacerbation of his tendinitis. Better to rest that when able during this time of year. ie playing out a game worth nothing against Port's reserves will have been of no benefit. He's such a driven kid that I'd have thought his dejected appearance was more that he wasn't out there competing, than frustration about serious injury. Just an opinion & observation, not informed commentary.

Goes up to 11
    BTW the meagre crowd reflected the poor, poor choice of venue...

Crowd was a touch over 3000 a little small but weather may have played a part but still swans need to have a presence in western sydney and not just leave it to GWS and lose existing supporters. Blacktown is not the worst place for footy ANZ is

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    BTW the meagre crowd reflected the poor, poor choice of venue...
    Strongly disagree with this...I for one am very thankful that the AFL and Sydney Swans still have some thought for the thousands of Swan's fan who live in Western Sydney. For one time in the year, it was nice to be to and from the ground in 15 minutes. Blacktown ISP is a great spot for pre season footy, good surface and facilities for what it is...a scratch match.
    Swannies for life!

Veterans List
    Jack, Hiscox and Robinson, to me, don't appear to have what it takes. They all kick poorly and Robinson goes to ground a lot and just seems to be missing something when he attacks the ball. Leonardis looked promising - he gets where the ball's at and Dawson has very clean skills, looks like the ideal footballer and looks like he plays like one.
    Lloyd is a concern. He gets plenty of it and gets into space, but is slow to dispose of the footy, and when he is clear doesn't sprint to give himself that extra yard to steady and dispose. The opposition close on him quickly. If he plays like this his disposal must be a hell of a lot better. Doesn't create much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Jack, Hiscox and Robinson, to me, don't appear to have what it takes.
    I agree. Fringe players at best. Dawson reminded me of a young Mark Bayes. Hope he turns out as good.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast