Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dunstall hates the Swans

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Many times. I'm familiar with all of their work to varying degrees. Some good ones there but some ordinary ones too. Does anyone take Maclure seriously? Dan Lonergan is a gun.

David Parkin is no dill but I reckon he's completely out of touch with the current game. Each to their own.

Without doubt they're better than the Fox and Seven brigade. But I want to watch the footy, not listen to it.
    Agree with all of that Plugger...FWIW the ABC cricket commentary crew would have to be up there with the best commentary team for any sport anywhere in the world, they are a joy to listen to.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Many times. I'm familiar with all of their work to varying degrees. Some good ones there but some ordinary ones too. Does anyone take Maclure seriously? Dan Lonergan is a gun.

David Parkin is no dill but I reckon he's completely out of touch with the current game. Each to their own.

Without doubt they're better than the Fox and Seven brigade. But I want to watch the footy, not listen to it.

I used to watch the footy with the volume turned down and have the ABC commentary on. It was much better

By the way back to the point of the post. I actually like Dunstall. He isn't anti Swans at all but he does have a soft spot for anything Victorian. Funny that he actually comes from Queensland. His teeth grinding about the dribble ball and the kick around the corner when players could just kick a drop punt is I think warranted. Too many players miss easy shots because they lairise.

Pushing for Selection
    I have always found Dunstall to be quite measured in his comments re: swans

If you are looking for a commentator/special comments person who absolutely hates the swans look no further than David King
    He has carved out a career as a SC guy by simply jumping on board with the Champion Data crew and just runs with the in topic/stat of the week, but this is the kicker HE NEVER ACTUALLY SAYS ANYTHING EVER
    if your head is made out of chocolate dont stand out in the sun

There seems to be a lot of resentment towards Dermott Brereton on here about his abilities as a football commentator, with people claiming that he "hates the swans" If you look a little closer, perhaps the reason for that hate, could be the fact, that when he played his 7 games in season 1994, he was never paid for his services, an amount, according to reliable sources, to be about $50,000. Now if you had worked for your employer for a year, and never received payment, wouldnt you be resentful???

Some may argue that he wasnt very good in those games that he played, but people need to remember, that when he left Hawthorn at the end of 1993, his body was absolutely shot, and he still managed to play about 12 games with Collingwood in season 1995.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by langers1971 View Post
    There seems to be a lot of resentment towards Dermott Brereton on here about his abilities as a football commentator, with people claiming that he "hates the swans" If you look a little closer, perhaps the reason for that hate, could be the fact, that when he played his 7 games in season 1994, he was never paid for his services, an amount, according to reliable sources, to be about $50,000. Now if you had worked for your employer for a year, and never received payment, wouldnt you be resentful???

Some may argue that he wasnt very good in those games that he played, but people need to remember, that when he left Hawthorn at the end of 1993, his body was absolutely shot, and he still managed to play about 12 games with Collingwood in season 1995.
    I have no idea whether what you say about his non-payment is true.

My view of Brereton is that he showed, until 2012, a fair bit of fondness towards the Swans. There was a most marked change in his commentary following the 2012 Grand Final, which I (and many others) have interpreted as petulant bad-losership. It might be understandable if "his" club, that was defeated in that game was a perennial struggler. But given that it was a club that dominated during his own career, had won a premiership as recently as 2008, not to mention that has won three since, it comes across as petty in the extreme.

FWIW, I still think some of his commentary on games is amongst the most interesting. He attempts to explain tactical nuances to the public in a way that is far clearer and more insightful than someone like David King. But his efforts in this direction are becoming increasingly lost amongst all his other idiosyncrasies. Like Bruce and Dennis, he is fast becoming a parody of himself.

In contrast, Dunstall's public response to the 2012 grand final result, to the Swans' recruitment of Buddy, and to the blossoming of Kennedy at Sydney, I have always found to be measured and gracious.

Dermott is horrendous, definitely anti-Swans (I think more to do with Buddy, probably also his closeness to GWS, than 2012).

Although disdain would be worse than criticism - he thinks we are are threat and hence worthy of his interest, so it is actually a compliment he cares about us so much to be critical.

He gets away with his fawning over Hawthorn due to them having been so good recently - not sure how he'll cope when they deserve criticism.

Other than Hawthorn or GWS players, and the obvious stars of the comp, he knows SFA about almost every other player, yet when forced to make a comment rambles on about some minor thing as though he has studied them closely. Usually it is something generic enough to not be proven totally wrong about, but he still regularly slips up banging on about something that is actually an uncharacteristic mistake by that player and shows Dermie is just talking #%*~.

David King is a bore - to most his stats and ratings would go over their heads, to those who understand the game it only supports what is patently obvious anyway.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    FWIW, I still think some of his commentary on games is amongst the most interesting.
    I think his repeated and utterly predictable self-referencing is excruciating
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234