Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: This weeks NAB Challenge against Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    a lot of our list don't get to play against VFL+ standard players - be good to see them tested.
    This is no longer the case. We are no longer the bullies of the NEAFL.

We play Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS (the new bullies), along with some other pretty handy sides.

We, along with Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS, also have the distinct advantage of having our own reserves team, unlike the rest of the competition.

We therefore have total control on our reserves developement, play them in whatever position and whatever style, amount of game time, etc etc, that suits our coaches.

This is an advantage you would hope leads to better depth.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

On the veteran's list
    People forget that against GWS, Sydney stayed within the 90 interchanges while GWS went with much larger rotations. Made a big difference
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Since we do need to "find" a handful more players capable of playing senior footy this year, I hope they rotate the fringe players from last week. I'd keep anyone whose close to a certainty for a round 1 spot (unless anyone has a niggle that needs managing). That means Mills stays, as do Cunningham and Towers. Even though these two remain at the bottom of our best team, with the injuries to Rohan, McVeigh and Reid, they are both sit comfortably in our best likely available 22 for round 1.

Jones will get another game, given they want / need to get him up to match fitness quickly. He may not be deemed fit enough for round 1 but he's up there in the pecking order when he does get enough game time under his belt. I'd like to see Papley get another game. Last week was his first chance and he earned another go. Similarly with Newman. He'll be in senior team calculations, so he should get another game.

But then I hope Hewitt gets a second game, after missing out last week. Robinson has played two without impressing so I'd swap the two. Similarly with Jack and Rose, whose been close but missed out both times. And maybe switch around Aliir and X, though that might depend on whether Ted is available.

Though given that the squad size reduces by three players, some of my "outs" will likely lose their spots without my "ins" getting a go. I suspect Dawson will lose his spot, notwithstanding his excellent cameos. So it could be Dawson, Robinson, Jack and X out, with just Hewitt in. Or more likely we'll see one or both of Robinson and Jack keep their spots, with Hewitt left on the sidelines and Papley cut.
    I've been thinking along similar lines Liz, although with a couple of differences. Bearing in mind we have a couple of Gorillas to contend with in the Pies forward line in round one I would persevere with X and Talia and rest Reg who seems to be in fine form and does not seem to need the run. Give X a full game and compare him to Talia before deciding on who plays round 1.

I would really like to see Aliir get a bit of a go and I think he should be tried on the wing given his speed and reasonable disposal, both of which are in short supply.

I agree re Robbo, BJ and Dawson, Robbo has really struggled for form and it's just too soon for Dawson. Sadly, BJ doesn't seem to have developed the poise that he needs to be in the team.

Papley definitely needs to line up in part because if we have Hewett, Parker and Papley in the side we have 3 players who are good on either foot which is a great advantage.

I also wonder whether Mills should also be tried on the wing given the number of Swans he skittled in the back line. His delivery is good and it could be a real bonus to have him delivering forward.

A case could be made for Marsh on half back given our back line woes, he does at least have speed and can kick .He also wasn't too bad against Port .It then becomes a matter of who else you would leave out however.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Little surprised Dawson and Leo weren't named and Hiscox was Experienced squad named - sydneyswans.com.au

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Little surprised Dawson and Leo weren't named and Hiscox was Experienced squad named - sydneyswans.com.au
    I can understand the 2 youngest and greenest guys not getting a go for the final hitout, better to test them out in the NEAFL at this stage.

But why is Hiscox back??? Please not him ahead of Rose and Hewett.

Looks like Talia is preferred over X.

Robbo and BJ very lucky to be there.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

We still need to cut 2 from the final team. I think it will be from these 5: Rose, Hiscox, Robbo, BJ and Newman. I'd leave out Hiscox and either BJ or Robbo. Hewett comes into the final side after being cut last week.

It looks as if we will be going with a round 1 backline of Talia, Grundy and Laidler with the possibility of Ted, Reid and Macca ready to into the side for round 2 or 3.

Veterans List
    Good to see Rose, Newman, Hewett and Papley named, I hope they make the final team because all four need to step up for us and appear the most likely types long term. Rose and Papley clever small/med forwards, Hewett to add to the midfield rotations and Newman looks to be a very promising HBF with poise and good skills.

Hiscox has shown little other than speed and endurance, even at a lower level so he seems to be a long way off seniors.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    The article says a 26 man squad but I count 27.

In: Rose, Hiscox, Hewett
    Out: Jordan DAWSON, Xavier RICHARDS

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Here's Carlton's list

1 Andrew Walker
    4 Bryce Gibbs
    6 Kade Simpson (C)
    7 Dylan Buckley
    8 Matthew Kreuzer
    9 Patrick Cripps
    11 Sam Kerridge
    12 Blaine Boekhorst
    13 Jed Lamb
    15 Sam Docherty
    17 Sam Rowe
    22 Jason Tutt
    23 Jacob Weitering
    24 Mark Whiley
    30 Charlie Curnow
    32 Nick Graham
    33 Andrejs Everitt
    34 Andrew Phillips
    35 Ed Curnow
    37 Daniel Gorringe
    38 Ciaran Byrne
    39 Dale Thomas
    40 Michael Jamison
    41 Levi Casboult
    42 Zach Tuohy
    43 Simon White
    46 Matthew Wright

Warming the Bench
    I was just reading the article on the Swans Web Site "We learnt a lot" and Grundy talks about the turnovers.
    There are times in football matches where it is best to take the mark or free kick and just go back and look at your options before kicking it. So many times we just play on without looking and then find out that there is no one ahead of us to kick it to, so we have to try an invent something or handball or a silly little kick that results in turnovers. The other one is the "Rhyce Shaw" run past the man with the ball and receive the handball then look up and as above there is no one to kick it to, or the player than runs to the wrong side then realises he can't kick with his opposite foot so he has to turn back and he either kicks it further back or to the same place it came from surely you would check on your options before demanding the ball. I think if we just slowed it down sometimes we may not turn it over as much.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    I think if we just slowed it down sometimes we may not turn it over as much.
    A solution, in part, is finding more time and space, which should lead to more effective disposal, although some of our players make far too many unpressured disposal errors. It's hard to slow the game down if under intense pressure, which was the case against GWS. And if an equal amount of pressure is not applied when the other side have the ball, it only makes it easier for them to move the ball down field and add to the pressure on us.

Work rate is certainly a major factor in the pressure game. Get more players to the contest. Run harder to get open to receive the ball. Work rate has to be a key part of our game, at least until we get better users of the ball. We are making progress regarding ball use by drafting players with better skills, but the transition will take years, not months. Heeney, Mills, Jones and Hewett should go a long way to improving our ball use. Hopefully recent draftees like O'Riordan, Newman, Dawson and Leonardis will make an impact in the coming years. We have a problem in that some of more wasteful ball users, like Mitchell, Hanners and Rampe, are among our best players in other parts of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We have a problem in that some of more wasteful ball users, like Mitchell, Hanners and Rampe, are among our best players in other parts of the game.
    Since when is Hanners one of our wasteful ball users? He doesn't bomb away kicks to a contest or finds a free target has clean hands

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast