Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: This weeks NAB Challenge against Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Since we do need to "find" a handful more players capable of playing senior footy this year, I hope they rotate the fringe players from last week. I'd keep anyone whose close to a certainty for a round 1 spot (unless anyone has a niggle that needs managing). That means Mills stays, as do Cunningham and Towers. Even though these two remain at the bottom of our best team, with the injuries to Rohan, McVeigh and Reid, they are both sit comfortably in our best likely available 22 for round 1.

Jones will get another game, given they want / need to get him up to match fitness quickly. He may not be deemed fit enough for round 1 but he's up there in the pecking order when he does get enough game time under his belt. I'd like to see Papley get another game. Last week was his first chance and he earned another go. Similarly with Newman. He'll be in senior team calculations, so he should get another game.

But then I hope Hewitt gets a second game, after missing out last week. Robinson has played two without impressing so I'd swap the two. Similarly with Jack and Rose, whose been close but missed out both times. And maybe switch around Aliir and X, though that might depend on whether Ted is available.

Though given that the squad size reduces by three players, some of my "outs" will likely lose their spots without my "ins" getting a go. I suspect Dawson will lose his spot, notwithstanding his excellent cameos. So it could be Dawson, Robinson, Jack and X out, with just Hewitt in. Or more likely we'll see one or both of Robinson and Jack keep their spots, with Hewitt left on the sidelines and Papley cut.
    I think you had the right of it. X, Robbo, BJ, but I'd keep Dawson and drop Toby. The reason for this is that we will not play a three way ruck set up in the first match unless Tip plays only forward and not in the ruck, which I can't see happening. We played 9 defenders and at least one has to come out. I'd rest Laids as he as far as I'm concerned is an automatic selection for the first game and has played well. Him and Reg have both played well. The ones who seem to need the practice are Smithy (dreadful so far), Jones (fitness), Ramps (not much better than Smithy), Talia, Newman & Mills (the last three need to get used to their teammates and set ups).

In saying that i would bring in Aliir for X (I think he has been good in his cameos) if X comes out, although I'd like to see Reg have a rest and us to keep X and see what the Aliir, X, Talia combo can do. But it won't happen.

As for the forwards and mids I'd like to see Rose & Hewett in and Robbo, Toby, BJ & Harry rested. Harry was terrible last week. Let's try an alternative. Rose or Dawson on a wing.

I think then that this is what I'd like to see;

Out; Laids (rested) & Reg (rested), BJ, Robbo, Toby (although I think he has been ok there is no place for three rucks)

in; Rose, Hewett, Aliir

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Since when is Hanners one of our wasteful ball users? He doesn't bomb away kicks to a contest or finds a free target has clean hands
    Hanners is big time ball winner and an elite runner. He creates lots of time and space for himself, which makes him such a great player. But given how often he has the ball in upressured situations, he really doesn't hit targets often enough and is a poor kick on his right side. It's the one weakness in an otherwise elite game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I think you had the right of it. X, Robbo, BJ, but I'd keep Dawson and drop Toby. The reason for this is that we will not play a three way ruck set up in the first match unless Tip plays only forward and not in the ruck, which I can't see happening. We played 9 defenders and at least one has to come out. I'd rest Laids as he as far as I'm concerned is an automatic selection for the first game and has played well. Him and Reg have both played well. The ones who seem to need the practice are Smithy (dreadful so far), Jones (fitness), Ramps (not much better than Smithy), Talia, Newman & Mills (the last three need to get used to their teammates and set ups).

In saying that i would bring in Aliir for X (I think he has been good in his cameos) if X comes out, although I'd like to see Reg have a rest and us to keep X and see what the Aliir, X, Talia combo can do. But it won't happen.

As for the forwards and mids I'd like to see Rose & Hewett in and Robbo, Toby, BJ & Harry rested. Harry was terrible last week. Let's try an alternative. Rose or Dawson on a wing.

I think then that this is what I'd like to see;

Out; Laids (rested) & Reg (rested), BJ, Robbo, Toby (although I think he has been ok there is no place for three rucks)

in; Rose, Hewett, Aliir
    Good point about Laidler, he has looked pretty good and can do with a break but he might need the run due to a restricted pre-season etc - not sure. I think we are crazy not to play Aliir - got to test him against better opposition and see what he can do. Grundy has had a great 2 games and should get a break - he is critical for round 1 if Teddy is doubtful in any way. Would like to see if Rose's 3 goal 1/4 against GWS was a total fluke or not - hope not heh.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I think that, for our guys, intensity and skill go hand in hand. I guess if they are not totally in a game they are not also going to be completely focused on their next kick and its result, more about just getting through the game. In the season proper, intensity rises, instincts and reflexes dominate more and the footballer (and hopefully those drilled in skills) in them emerges.
    do you remember in 2010 and early 2011. They just seemed to be going around for the sake of it. Then horse changed the game plan and suddenly there was so much excitement about the place. they started playing great footy and seemed to be really enjoying themselves. I think that is what is needed now. We need a totally new game plan to get the players excited. I think they are bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Good point about Laidler, he has looked pretty good and can do with a break but he might need the run due to a restricted pre-season etc - not sure. I think we are crazy not to play Aliir - got to test him against better opposition and see what he can do. Grundy has had a great 2 games and should get a break - he is critical for round 1 if Teddy is doubtful in any way. Would like to see if Rose's 3 goal 1/4 against GWS was a total fluke or not - hope not heh.
    The reason we are likely to play both Reg and Laidler is that we need to work on the chemistry of bringing 2 new players into the back six in Talia and Mills, and even Jones only has a few full games under his belt. We should have tested Allir in the first game, but the thinking must have been that X was ahead of him so there was little chance of him playing in the early rounds of the season, if at all this year. Talia is definitely part of our long term plans for our back six and we are likely to stick with his development unless he turns out to be a total flop. So far, he looks good enough for a 30 game player.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    This is no longer the case. We are no longer the bullies of the NEAFL.

We play Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS (the new bullies), along with some other pretty handy sides.

We, along with Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS, also have the distinct advantage of having our own reserves team, unlike the rest of the competition.

We therefore have total control on our reserves developement, play them in whatever position and whatever style, amount of game time, etc etc, that suits our coaches.

This is an advantage you would hope leads to better depth.

you say we, along with GWS, Suns and Lions, have our own reserves teams unlike the rest of the comp. That statement is flawed in that Essendon, Collingwood, Geelong, Footscray Reserves (yes they say Footscray) and Box Hill may as well be Hawks reserves because their coaches are paid by Hawthorn. they train together for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I've been thinking along similar lines Liz, although with a couple of differences. Bearing in mind we have a couple of Gorillas to contend with in the Pies forward line in round one I would persevere with X and Talia and rest Reg who seems to be in fine form and does not seem to need the run. Give X a full game and compare him to Talia before deciding on who plays round 1.

I would really like to see Aliir get a bit of a go and I think he should be tried on the wing given his speed and reasonable disposal, both of which are in short supply.

I agree re Robbo, BJ and Dawson, Robbo has really struggled for form and it's just too soon for Dawson. Sadly, BJ doesn't seem to have developed the poise that he needs to be in the team.

Papley definitely needs to line up in part because if we have Hewett, Parker and Papley in the side we have 3 players who are good on either foot which is a great advantage.

I also wonder whether Mills should also be tried on the wing given the number of Swans he skittled in the back line. His delivery is good and it could be a real bonus to have him delivering forward.

A case could be made for Marsh on half back given our back line woes, he does at least have speed and can kick .He also wasn't too bad against Port .It then becomes a matter of who else you would leave out however.
    Marsh got 4 disposals in 2.5 quarters. He wasted 2 of them. He let his man off the hook several times.

[QUOTE=Scottee;690398]I can understand the 2 youngest and greenest guys not getting a go for the final hitout, better to test them out in the NEAFL at this stage.

But why is Hiscox back??? Please not him ahead of Rose and Hewett.

Looks like Talia is preferred over X.

Robbo and BJ very lucky to be ther

Robbo & BJ very lucky indeed. I would have chucked them both out to play NEAFL next week. They were shocking. I want players who give you something. I don't care if Dawson and Leonardis are green they actually do stuff. I'd rather them getting anther game than the others and Hiscox is hopeless, can't kick and stuffs it up. Marsh is a waste of list space as is Derrickx.

I fail to see what good keeping Reg in who is bloody fantastic and won't benefit by the run when we could give Aliir a go and see how he handles the monsters. He handled Bud really well in the Intra. In fact I thought he was one of the best in the Intra. Don't know why horse doesn't like him? Maybe he doesn't buy lollies for the boss. If I was him I would be asking why I keep getting overlooked.

By the way Lloydie was dreadful last week too. Couldn't get a kick in an electricity generation station. The others (BJ & Robbo) couldn't get touched up in a brothel they were so far from their opponents. Maybe they had BO their opponents were running so fast in the other direction. The NAB is about trying players. Scottee Papley is still in and he is youngest and greenest too. I hope Hewett plays, the kid has talent and he at least can deliver the ball. Something most of the others can't seem to do. Newman, Hewett, Papley, Heeney, Mills, Macca, Dawson, Leonardis, Laids (75%of the time) all have very good disposal. But of course 2 years under Horse and they will be cured of that, all except Macca who is incurable.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    you say we, along with GWS, Suns and Lions, have our own reserves teams unlike the rest of the comp. That statement is flawed in that Essendon, Collingwood, Geelong, Footscray Reserves (yes they say Footscray) and Box Hill may as well be Hawks reserves because their coaches are paid by Hawthorn. they train together for the most part.
    And Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Crows have had their own reserves teams playing in the SANFL since 2014.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The reason we are likely to play both Reg and Laidler is that we need to work on the chemistry of bringing 2 new players into the back six in Talia and Mills, and even Jones only has a few full games under his belt. We should have tested Allir in the first game, but the thinking must have been that X was ahead of him so there was little chance of him playing in the early rounds of the season, if at all this year. Talia is definitely part of our long term plans for our back six and we are likely to stick with his development unless he turns out to be a total flop. So far, he looks good enough for a 30 game player.
    I think Talia looks pretty good so far and is certainly useful if Ted has ongoing problems.

Herald Sun says we have the number 3 midfield six in the comp and number 1 for quality and 15 for depth http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...7e010bba0a6000 Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 12.48.17 pm.png

Veteran Site Admin
    Table looks odd. It assesses Freo to have a better top six mids than Sydney and better depth, yet comes out with us overall ahead of Freo.

I find it hard to believe the Cats best six mids are better than the Swans' best six. They've got a very good best two (but so do we). But they drop away far quicker from that very high echelon, at least on my biased and subjective (ie non-statistical) assessment of their next group against ours.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast