Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revved up for Round One: Why we don't like Collingwood

Warming the Bench

Revved up for Round One: Why we don't like Collingwood

We Don�t Bloody Like You

�We don�t bloody like you� said Sydney.

�Well, we don�t bloody like you� replied Collingwood.

The simmering tensions between the Sydney Swans and Collingwood have been bubbling away like a sadistic mythological potion for a long time now. The rivalry can be traced back to the inaugural VFA Grand Final in 1896 when South Melbourne went down narrowly, six goals to five. However, it is the modern day rivalry that is capturing the imaginations of supporters from both sides. We just don�t like each other, it seems.

With Swan blood pulsing through my veins, the reasons for this acrimony are vehemently clear (I�m sure those of the black & white persuasion may have differing views). And with a first round battle scheduled to take place in two weeks time, what better time to stir the metaphorical pot?

Let�s start with the Magpies� recent domination of matches played at that most popular of venues, ANZ Stadium. For year upon year, a black and white army would descend upon Homebush for their annual collection of four points. Sergeant Major Malthouse would orchestrate a blockade upon the Swans� fifty-metre line. Impenetrable. The ambush of the home side�s goal would then arrive courtesy of an artillery battery including Corporals Didak, Cloke and Thomas. Resistance was futile and my team was often left to dust off and approach the match with nothing but forlorn hope. This would only result in some last ditch �Guerrilla tactics�, all to no avail. And this dominance did not only occur on the battlefield, but also in the stands. Commodore �Joffa� Corfe, would arrive in the black and white stripes, revel in three hours of tyranny and leave, rejoicing in his sparkling golden coat. As a regular eyewitness to this insufferable treatment, the pain is still palpable.

Is this reason enough to dislike an opposition football club? Well, yes. But wait, there�s more. There�s so much more.

Mr. Edward McGuire has presided over the fortunes of the Collingwood Football Club since 1998. During this time his running battles with Sydney presidents Colless & Pridham has provided a constant source of entertainment. As a true �white knight� of the football industry, his quest for �equalisation� has been commendable. Commendable for the purposes of self-interest, certainly not for the betterment of the game itself. McGuire recently embarked on a crusade to call for the disbandment of the cost of living allowance, and proved successful. As a result of this decision, the Swans also received a two-year trading ban. This remains unexplained.

The heavy-hitters from the Holden Centre have also proved vociferous in their criticism of the Sydney Swans Academy. I am sure the realisation that the Swans have picked up two top-five draft picks in successive years is horrifying. Forget the draft concessions that have been in place over the past few years, this is THE big issue. A system that was designed by a committee, which in fact, included Collingwood�s own Derek Hine, simply must be stopped. Isn�t that right? How dare these clubs develop young talent with an aim to increase the talent pool, and provide more New South Wales and Queensland kids with the opportunity to be drafted to clubs across Australia and get away with it? Perhaps the Pies are worried that they won�t be able to pilfer these locally raised players as they can with young Victorians who claim they just want to �go home�?

Most recently, Collingwood�s CEO, Gary Pert prepared to file an expense claim to the offices of the Swans due to the relocation of their round one match in the New South Wales� capital. In what can only be described as an administrative masterstroke, all Sydney Swans home matches will now be played at the iconic and immensely popular Sydney Cricket Ground. Gary didn�t like the fact that the Pies weren�t notified. He probably also didn�t like the fact that the match was moved from ANZ Stadium, a soulless pit in which his club has thrived. And, in a moment of supreme comedy, he objected to the cost of accommodation in Sydney. Wow. I�m sorry Mr. Pert, do we owe you our consideration? Should we have your club�s interests at heart when negotiating impressively beneficial deals of our own?

And how could I forget, two days after our own favourite son, Adam Goodes, was racially vilified on the opening night of Indigenous Round in 2013, the Collingwood president suggested he could play the leading role in the King Kong musical. Classy. When a thinly-veiled apology was somehow magically accepted by the general public, McGuire�s influence on the football media became indisputable. The fact that he has used this influence to continually insinuate that the club had cheated in it�s use of the COLA and in turn, insulted every member of staff that has worked it�s backside off to make the club the success that it is today, is just another reason why we just don�t like you, Collingwood. I�m sure the feeling is mutual.

This antagonistic tug-of-war between the two clubs has at times, become all consuming for the supporters of each. At one stage, in a perverse twist of fate, I found myself positioned at Mr. McGuire�s residence, to attend his son Danny�s birthday celebrations, surrounded by Magpies players, arm in arm and belting out a riotous rendition of �Oh Danny Boy�. This was of course a dream (nightmare, perhaps) that proved the fact that Collingwood were infiltrating my most intimate thoughts, and also proved that dreaming is most certainly an INVOLUNTARY action!

So, there you have it. I know many Collingwood people. I like many Collingwood people. But, when it comes to our good ol� fashioned footy rivalry, we don�t bloody like them, and they don�t bloody like us. Roll on, round one.

Yes, Joe, and I'm a bit over Hawthorn too.

Veterans List
    Well said Joe.....even Fatheads latest plan for 'Victoria (Park) Stadium' is a classic case of self interest veiled in 'great for Victoria and the game' camouflage. He's a p***k! Wants to bulldoze Etihad, riding on the coat tails of the looney mayor, and ruin country footy fans access to the game (it's right next to Southern Cross Station), for a gain of 15,000 seats! Oh, and of course have a 60,000 seat 'home' ground over the road from the Lexus Centre. What a 'not half obvious' douche! Yes, we hate all Collingwood, but I hate their President even more. That's personal yes, but I'm sure a view shared by many. How does he have so much power?! He personifies everything that is wrong with the running of this league at the moment.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Agree, a three-peat, Eddies idea of 'equalisation'.

Senior Player
    My Dad always said this was a great day - Collingwood unfurled their flag from '58 before the game. Note the Crowd figure for Victoria Park. Apparently Skilton and McGowan killed them.

Round: 1 Venue: Victoria Park Date: Sat, 18-Apr-1959 2:30 PM Attendance: 40125

Collingwood 1.4.10 3.8.26 6.13.49 7.18.60
    South Melbourne 5.4.34 8.9.57 12.11.83 14.17.101

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Me too.

Why I hate Collingwood ...

Shane Morwood
    Darren Jolly
    Graham Teasdale
    Barry Mitchell
    Anthony Rocca
    Greg Smith
    Paul Morwood
    Mark Orchard
    Paul Hawke
    Paul Licuria
    Jesse White
    Tony Armstrong
    David Young
    Dermott Brereton
    Clinton King
    Mark Kinnear
    Bill Picken

Gerard Healy (he retired because he couldn't play due to a groin injury ... still you try & pilfer him!!)
    Kent Butcher (offering us rubbish trades!)

1935. 1936.

Yup, I HATE Collingwood!

Nice work goswannies!

Thanks to Adam Treloar, our friends out west can start their own list now too. Was Taylor Adams one of theirs too intially?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Warming the Bench
    Well played goswannies!

Doctor - Taylor Adams was definitely a Giant too. 'Homesick' Vic kids often find their way there.

4 weeks ago I was confident we'd be right in this one, now not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Nice work goswannies!
    Quote Originally Posted by joemoore12 View Post
    Well played goswannies!
    Thanks ... & I'm not sure if this makes them even worse ....

B: Kinnear, S.Morwood, King
    HB: P.Morwood, Picken, Armstrong
    C: Licuria, Smith, Orchard
    HF: White, Brereton, Hawke
    F: Teasdale, Rocca, Young

FOLLOWERS:
    Jolly
    Healy
    Mitchell

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Thanks ... & I'm not sure if this makes them even worse ....

B: Kinnear, S.Morwood, King
    HB: P.Morwood, Picken, Armstrong
    C: Licuria, Smith, Orchard
    HF: White, Brereton, Hawke
    F: Teasdale, Rocca, Young

FOLLOWERS:
    Jolly
    Healy
    Mitchell
    An interesting group of players. The Pies were good at recruiting/stealing players who were either over the hill or injury prone.

Kinnear - no good
    S Morwood - probably the best. But he just didn't want to go to Sydney.
    Paul Morwood - way past it
    King - lol
    Picken - didn't we pick him up when he was way past it
    Armstrong - inspired steal from us
    Licuria - he was ok. Played better for them than us.
    Smith - over rated with us. Courageous.
    Orchard - we got him from Collingwood and they took him back. Go figure.
    White - Jesse who?
    Brereton - A hack when he went to them.
    Hawke - good average footballer for them. Claim to fame with us was goal of the year.
    Teaser - He had a chronic knee injury when we let him go. They were desperate to get him because in 1977 he took more than 20 marks at Vic Park to demolish the great Len Thompson.
    Rocca - he was good for them. Went back for mamma's home cooking. Sook.
    David Young - now there was a talented footballer who didn't realise his potential with us because of foot spurs. The Pies had their eyes closed when they picked him up. I remember reading the Herald on Flinders St station on my way home from work, to see that we had recruited this absolute gun from Adelaide
    Jolly and Mitchell were both good pick ups.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast