Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 114

Thread: Round 1 Team V Collingwood

  1. #1
    Senior Player ernie koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    northern beaches
    Posts
    3,055

    Round 1 Team V Collingwood

    My guess of the team line up, based on what I've seen in the NAB Cup.....

    FB : Smith Grundy Rampe
    HB : Laidler Richards Jones
    C : Jack Kennedy Hannebery
    HF : Heeney Franklin Cunningham
    FF : Papley Tippett Towers
    Fol : Sinclair Parker Mitchell
    Int : Mills, Talia, Lloyd, Hewitt

    Emg : Rose, Dawson, Nankervis

    Without the 4 or 5 injured players, we do look a little thin.
    I don't like having Towers in the team, but B Jack and Robinson have shown even less this year.
    I suspect Horse will pick him over Rose...Personally I'd like it the other way around.
    Nankervis, as back up ruck, is a worry. Let's hope we don't have to call on him any time soon...
    Personally I'd prefer Derrickx, at least he throws his weight around.
    Papley is the bolter, Horse may prefer Rose, both have looked lively, though I think Papley has been more involved.
    If they do upgrade Papley , then I assume Newman stays a rookie?

    Others thoughts?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

  2. #2
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    13,914
    I'm not sure Talia plays if Teddy is passed fit for Round 1. He would have to knock out one of Jones or Mills to make the back 7. I think we would be quite comfortable with Ted, Reg and Rampe as the 3 talls and Laidler to help out if required. Collingwood look to be running with Cloke as the main target, the resting ruck, Moore as the third tall and a bevy of medium/smalls like Fasolo, Varcoe and Blair as well as Swan spending more time forward.

    I would have picked Robinson in his place but Robbo went off injured after 1 quarter in today's NEAFL practice game and not sure what's wrong with him.

    Dawson if he has another strong game next week in the NEAFL practice match could be a bolter for round 1, not only does he provide something different with his long kicking but can also play back, forward or as he showed today in the midfield if required. But with Mills, Papley and Hewett in line to all debut I'm not sure Longmire will want to have a 4th debutant in the same team.
    Last edited by ugg; 12th March 2016 at 11:09 PM.

  3. #3
    You wouldn't swap Newman for Jones ?

  4. #4
    Senior Player ernie koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    northern beaches
    Posts
    3,055
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    You wouldn't swap Newman for Jones ?
    No, I think Jones will get the nod at this stage...

    Personally, I love the way he plays and suspect, injuries aside, he'll lock down a spot in defence this year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    My guess of the team line up, based on what I've seen in the NAB Cup.....

    FB : Smith Grundy Rampe
    HB : Laidler Richards Jones
    C : Jack Kennedy Hannebery
    HF : Heeney Franklin Cunningham
    FF : Papley Tippett Towers
    Fol : Sinclair Parker Mitchell
    Int : Mills, Talia, Lloyd, Hewitt

    Emg : Rose, Dawson, Nankervis

    Without the 4 or 5 injured players, we do look a little thin.
    I don't like having Towers in the team, but B Jack and Robinson have shown even less this year.
    I suspect Horse will pick him over Rose...Personally I'd like it the other way around.
    Nankervis, as back up ruck, is a worry. Let's hope we don't have to call on him any time soon...
    Personally I'd prefer Derrickx, at least he throws his weight around.
    Papley is the bolter, Horse may prefer Rose, both have looked lively, though I think Papley has been more involved.
    If they do upgrade Papley , then I assume Newman stays a rookie?

    Others thoughts?
    That's pretty much the lineup I would go with in round 1 considering a few of the injuries we have. It would be nice to a have a fit Sam Reid in the side against the pies with his versatility but we can only put out there who we have fit and ready to go so no point in dreaming!

    In saying that it's pretty exciting to see possibly 3 debutantes in the side and really does show that we don't have this old experienced list as the media and opposition supporters think we do!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I'm not sure Talia plays if Teddy is passed fit for Round 1. He would have to knock out one of Jones or Mills to make the back 7. I think we would be quite comfortable with Ted, Reg and Rampe as the 3 talls and Laidler to help out if required. Collingwood look to be running with Cloke as the main target, the resting ruck, Moore as the third tall and a bevy of medium/smalls like Fasolo, Varcoe and Blair as well as Swan spending more time forward.

    I would have picked Robinson in his place but Robbo went off injured after 1 quarter in today's NEAFL practice game and not sure what's wrong with him.

    Dawson if he has another strong game next week in the NEAFL practice match could be a bolter for round 1, not only does he provide something different with his long kicking but can also play back, forward or as he showed today in the midfield if required. But with Mills, Papley and Hewett in line to all debut I'm not sure Longmire will want to have a 4th debutant in the same team.
    Ugg, sounds like you may have witnessed this NEAFL practice match. Any chance of a detailed report for us Swans starved fans in the South??? Apologies if you already have in another thread.

  7. #7
    Speaking of round 1, is there a Red & White footy tips this season?

  8. #8
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    12,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    Speaking of round 1, is there a Red & White footy tips this season?
    Looking through the Competitions forum, I can't see evidence of one last year. Was there one?

    Regardless, it would be great to have a volunteer to organise one for 2016 and to post details on the Competitions forum.

  9. #9
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    13,914
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Ugg, sounds like you may have witnessed this NEAFL practice match. Any chance of a detailed report for us Swans starved fans in the South??? Apologies if you already have in another thread.
    I was waiting for the official report myself but that doesn't look like it will ever materialise

    To be honest it was hard to gain too much for it was a bad ground to view the game from with no elevation and the only shaded area was under the roof of the GWS offices behind one of the goals

    We started well probably shaded them in possessions and territory in the first quarter. They were marginally cleaner with the ball and the scores were roughly the same at quarter time. Both teams lost a major midfielder during this time - Robinson for us and Hopper for them

    However for the next three quarters it was all one way traffic with GWS trapping the ball in our defensive half. Due to inaccuracy on their part, particularly in the last quarter, and a lack of quality in moving the ball out of our half (our kick in strategy seems to be solely consisting of Aliir booting it as far as he can to one wing) they had repeat inside fifty entries that overworked our exposed defenders

    Individually:
    Dawson was clearly our best on the day. He started as a CHF and where he demonstrated he had some marking ability in him. Spent some time in the midfield during the middle stretches of the game (including attending a few centre bounces) and eventually switched to defence in the latter part of the third he provided some much needed class there with his long kicking

    Jack was our best midfielder. He ended up with two goals, one of which was a determined solo effort that saw him evade two tacklers in close quarters before snapping truly. He worked really hard all day which was no mean feat given the lack of support and the hot conditions

    Xavier had a good battle with Patton, and acquitted himself well given how often the ball was being pinged back in his direction. Aliir had Matthew Flynn for most of the day, who was their second ruckman. Outpointed a few times when caught out of position.

    Galloway rotated with Derickx in the ruck and both fell away after a bright start against the mammoth Dawson Simpson in the ruck. One of the coaches was continually shouting at Galloway about his starting position at throw ins

    Marsh played inside midfield alongside Jack and Academy player Jake Veale. Struggled to win his own ball but one of our better distributors on the day.

    O'Riordan started at HF and finished at HB. Very good kicking skills for someone new to the game but some poor decision making let him down. For example kicking across the defensive 50 to a clear one on one contest

    Hiscox playing an outside role didn't get many touches or chances to show his speed. Didn't see much of Melican at all.

    Final score from memory was 5.4 34 13.21 99
    Jack kicked two Derickx one Academy player Tom Chichester one and Hiscox one

  10. #10
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northcote
    Posts
    6,247
    Thanks ugg, always appreciated.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  11. #11
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    2,866
    Thanks Ugg, pleasing to see that Dawson showed up against what is a fairly strong side. Hoping that given the cameos we saw from him in the senior preseason games that he can develop quickly and get a senior call up. We need a player with his skill set. He may be a draft bolter!

    As far as the team for R1 goes, I think the opening post just about nailed it. Papley must be a chance given his energetic and effective preseason games, probably vying with BJ for that small forward spot. Ted if ready will play rather than Talia. Mills will be about the 6/7th player picked! and Jones will definitely play.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Looking through the Competitions forum, I can't see evidence of one last year. Was there one?

    Regardless, it would be great to have a volunteer to organise one for 2016 and to post details on the Competitions forum.
    I'm already in Footy Tips so I guess I could do it with Snarky? What do you think US? We can share the password or something.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO