Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Expectations & Predictions

Nothing more sure than the Swans winning the flag this year...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    +1

I think back to how I thought we were placed after 2004, 2011 and 2013 - and think we're probably in a similar position going into this year. Disappointing finishes to those seasons, it was easy to identify areas we were inferior to the top team(s) of the time etc - but (with a decent run with injuries) we stepped up in each of those subsequent seasons and made the GF.

Presumably Hawthorn will slip this year - if so I don't see why we are behind any of the other teams (assuming we're at full strength, and we are playing in a way that exploits our strengths).

It's funny how the experts go from one year saying how players like Goodes, Shaw and Pyke are past it and not contributing, to the next year saying how big a loss they are. If you break down the actual contribution Jetta made from week-to-week, he was just a highlight reel player who would have probably been in the best players half a dozen times in his whole career. I think we'll be the big winners out of his trade.

Our ball movement from defence is our biggest issue, but hopefully the new rule re: the 10m zone helps that - we chip it around because all our defenders are not confident in playing on and hitting a target, which is exacerbated when they have less space and time. But we're possibly only 1 good kick short of being OK - another 'go-to' player to get the ball into his hands like a Malceski to hit those targets.

Hopefully we find a way to maximise the (potential) potency of our forward line - it should be a nightmare for oppositions to match up on Franklin, Tippett/Sinclair, Reid and Heeney.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The Footy Bible arrived today in The Age. Matthew Lloyd has us finishing 6th and Rohan Connolly has us finishing 9th. They both pick out our "ageing defenders", which apparently means that they know Ted is in his thirties, but Reg doesn't get there until later this year and seems to keep improving over the last couple of seasons. True, it's be a different story if Alex were fit, but I think we can manage well enough to continue being one of the better defending teams. They both rate our forwards and mids - as they should.

Both commentators pick WC as 1st and Hawthorn as 2nd (Lloyd) and 3rd (Connolly). The other top contender is Geelong, 3rd for Lloyd and 2nd for Connolly. Both have Port and GWS finishing outside the eight. Their biggest discrepancy is Collingwood - 11th for Lloyd and 4th for Connolly; I think Connolly is more on the money with that one.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Their biggest discrepancy is Collingwood - 11th for Lloyd and 4th for Connolly; I think Connolly is more on the money with that one.
    Why do you think Collingwood will be so competitive this year?

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Anything less than a top 4 finish will be an abject failure - we didn't recruit Buddy so we could make up the numbers in the 8.
    The recruiting of Buddy might be the thing that just keeps us from making the top 4. No real trades allowed. Not enough salary cap space. But then again we have recruited good youngsters. Time will tell I think. Everyone talks about Heeney and Mills but two players don't make a side. When we had Diesel, Healy, Mitchell etc playing we had the stars but not enough team to win a premiership.

Team is what it is about and players like Hewett, Papley, Dawson, Towers, Jones, Leonardis, Newman, Talia, Rose, Cunningham, Sinclair, Rohan, Robinson, Aliir, Davis, BJ and X all have to stand up and be counted. Naismith and Galloway are long term prospects. Naismith will play this year and so will Toby I'm sure. Toby was pretty handy in the NAb and the only doubt on him is his lack of pace. But his delivery is generally sound and his tackling is fierce. He can also take a huge mark. Same with Naismith. Both Toby and big Sammy are second, third and fourth effort players, they never give up and tackle, bustle and bludgeon their opposition into submission. They also protect the small players.

What we need to see this year is as many players who looked like they are starting to come on given a chance to prove themselves. Papley, Dawson, Leonardis, Hewett & Newman all showed good composure in the NAB. Composure is an important word. It means they don't panic and they all looked very composed at AFL level. Yes it is only NAB but they were under more pressure than they would have ever been in any other comp and generally acquitted themselves well. BJ & Robbo were a little disappointing.

The NEAFL Trial. Apparently Abe Davis played very well. So did Aliir, Leonardis, Hewett & Newman. didn't see it maybe some of the people who did can report on the best players and hopefuls.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Why do you think Collingwood will be so competitive this year?
    They had a decent list with a few real stars. They have added Aish from Brisbane who could do very well if he is over his attack of second year blues, and Treloar from GWS who will have quite an impact if he is over his injuries. They have hopes the same will apply to Ben Reid.

I expect they'll improve on last year. I think getting to 4th is a bit optimistic, but I expect them to improve, hopefully not at our expense!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

They had a decent list with a few real stars. They have added Aish from Brisbane who could do very well if he is over his attack of second year blues, and Treloar from GWS who will have quite an impact if he is over his injuries. They have hopes the same will apply to Ben Reid.

I expect they'll improve on last year. I think getting to 4th is a bit optimistic, but I expect them to improve, hopefully not at our expense!
    Aish is an unknown quantity at this stage. Treloar I'll give you but a kid who played some pretty ordinary footy last year because he had an attitude problem. Umm I think not. Collingwood are like Cats, they are trying to buy a premiership by buying players from other clubs in the trade. That strategy can backfire because if you don't win that premiership you are left with a dirty great hole for a few years as all those players you bought to win the premiership retire. You have to keep topping up constantly and that means you have to do funny business with the salary cap. I can't see how Cats and now Hawks retain all their players within the cap. Brisbane had the northern Allowance but this lot don't. I hear there are a lot of secondary deals going on with several big clubs in Melbourne.

Apart from that.

I am not thinking we will have a huge year. another 2011 for me. this is a year of regeneration for me. By that I mean we blood a few good youngsters, develop a different style and develop the group as a whole. We have some very good talent on our list and now we have to give that talent the experience to be a contender in the next two years.

Both commentators pick WC as 1st and Hawthorn as 2nd (Lloyd) and 3rd (Connolly). The other top contender is Geelong, 3rd for Lloyd and 2nd for Connolly. Both have Port and GWS finishing outside the eight. Their biggest discrepancy is Collingwood - 11th for Lloyd and 4th for Connolly; I think Connolly is more on the money with that one.
    I am be well wrong, but I honestly don't see the Cats as a top 4 side - even with Dangerfield and a few other handy recruits. Bottom half of the eight for me - I like Dangerfield as a player, but think his influence is overstated by some. He may well find another level at Geelong, but I'll wait till I see them start ripping teams a new one before they suddenly are flag contenders in my book.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    The Footy Bible arrived today in The Age. Matthew Lloyd has us finishing 6th and Rohan Connolly has us finishing 9th. They both pick out our "ageing defenders", which apparently means that they know Ted is in his thirties, but Reg doesn't get there until later this year and seems to keep improving over the last couple of seasons. True, it's be a different story if Alex were fit, but I think we can manage well enough to continue being one of the better defending teams. They both rate our forwards and mids - as they should.

They pick out our aging defenders as a reason for us slipping, but figure Geelong (who have also lost 715 games experience through Stevie J, Stokes and Kelly) are now contenders with Taylor (10 days younger than Reg) and Enright (16 months older than Ted - will turn 35 during this year's finals series) down back?

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    They pick out our aging defenders as a reason for us slipping, but figure Geelong (who have also lost 715 games experience through Stevie J, Stokes and Kelly) are now contenders with Taylor (10 days younger than Reg) and Enright (16 months older than Ted - will turn 35 during this year's finals series) down back?

The media are so much in love with Dangerfield, love is blind and Dangerfield will instantly solve all of Geelong's problems.

I'm sure the perception from non Swans supporters was that Buddy, and to a lesser degree, Tippett were presented the same way (as solving all of the Swans problems)
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast