Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Sweet Home @ the SCG

I can't beleive the excuses for the poor crowd. 30,000 should be the minimum we get for a suns game.

We'd get that at anz with most of RWO boycotting the venue.????

Senior Player
    Jeez Barry let it go your Stadium Australia / ANZ Stadium / Telstra Stadium membership is no longer valid for watching the Swans. I understand your frustration however your repetitive relentless sniping at the Sydney Cricket Ground as our teams home venue will do nothing to change that .

Goes up to 11
    They served proper beer on Sat night too - it was only Carlton but better than that mid strength stuff they used to force on us. That was a nice change......

Nearly every interview with Swans players after the game included a line about how great it was to be back at the SCG, great stuff!

Senior Player
    Must be time for the first fact-check with charts of 2016

Let's start with crowds versus Collingwood since 2006:

swansPies.png

So yes: second-lowest crowd vs Pies of past 10 years and down on the SCG last year. But as noted elsewhere, Easter - more on that in a moment. There's also been a general decline in ANZ crowds since 2008. Both teams were considered "powerhouse" sides in the mid-2000s and consequently pulled larger crowds.

Someone asked about the win/loss record at home venues since 2000:

swansPiesResult.png

2W/1L at SCG, 3W/10L at ANZ. That 2012 final win was sweet.

Finally, the "Easter effect":

swansR1.png

There have only been 4 home games on the Easter weekend since 2000, but this years crowd was the largest of those. It was also the second largest round 1 home crowd since 2000; 2007 versus the Eagles being an outlier due to the profile of both teams at that time.

I'd suggest that this years crowd be considered "good" in the context of round 1, Easter, the declining profile of the opposition and perhaps losing a few to the game next door.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    How dare you bring facts into this Neil
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

You cant discount the Eagles as an outlier, and then include collingwood.
    Collingwood is the biggest drawing club in the land. Doesnt matter where they are on the ladder.
    30,000 to them should be ringing alarm bells everywhere, especially as there is not the boycott factor of the SCG that a large band of Swans fans had against ANZ (present company excluded)
    An this easter excuse is a furphy. Doesnt seem to impact any other host city.

Quote Originally Posted by bungwahl View Post
    Nearly every interview with Swans players after the game included a line about how great it was to be back at the SCG, great stuff!
    As long as the players are happy, who cares about the bottom line of abandoning half the city.
    There are doubts whether Sydney can support two teams, and willingly relying only on the eastern suburbs seems an absurd policy when you look at demographics.

Senior Player
    I hoped that once the season proper started that we could drift away from the peripheral, time wasting nonsense and get to the real thing.

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I hoped that once the season proper started that we could drift away from the peripheral, time wasting nonsense and get to the real thing.

Sigh.
    It's a one man crusade......

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    As long as the players are happy, who cares about the bottom line of abandoning half the city.
    There are doubts whether Sydney can support two teams, and willingly relying only on the eastern suburbs seems an absurd policy when you look at demographics.
    Mate you must be the only guy who's upset about moving back to the SCG. I have Swans loving friends from Campbelltown to Dural to Gosford and they're all much happier with having games at the SCG, despite it taking a bit longer for them to get there.

ANZ Stadium is much too small for AFL football anyway, so at least the Swans now play on a proper sized ground.

... and dont get me started on the number of serious injuries (Talia and Swan) as a result of playing on a hard cricket ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bungwahl View Post
    Mate you must be the only guy who's upset about moving back to the SCG. I have Swans loving friends from Campbelltown to Dural to Gosford and they're all much happier with having games at the SCG, despite it taking a bit longer for them to get there.
    Happiness is not translating to the Swans bottom line.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast