Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Home Sweet Home @ the SCG

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Gee that sounds so easy.

Only a 20 minute walk!

Lol
    A couple of very nice pubs and restaurants on that stroll too!

Looks like ANZ Stadium is set to become a permanent rectangular stadium: Revealed: ANZ Stadium plans for 75,000-seat rectangular revamp

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus26 View Post
    It takes us 3 hours one way to get to the SCG (door to door). I am not complaining and will support the Swans all my days. Getting to the SCG for those based in Sydney is not difficult. Leave half an hour earlier. Catch a train into Central and walk for 20 mins. The SCG is the Swans' home since migrating north. ANZ was always second rate.
    You can always stop off at our place if the journey is too far

Gee that sounds so easy.

Only a 20 minute walk!

Lol
    Barry,

On the few occasions that I went to ANZ it took me more than 20 minutes to walk from the railway platform to the gates of ANZ. Also it took me about 15 minutes to walk from where my car was parked to Strathfield Station where I caught catch the train to ANZ.
    How long did it take you to get to ANZ?

Quote Originally Posted by bungwahl View Post
    Looks like ANZ Stadium is set to become a permanent rectangular stadium: Revealed: ANZ Stadium plans for 75,000-seat rectangular revamp
    Rectangular is sort of an odd shape for a white elephant?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Rectangular is sort of an odd shape for a white elephant?
    I disagree.

What I do think is ridiculous is building a $1Bn 60,000 capacity stadium at Moore Park when the current one barely gets half full and the current tenants don't want a new one.

For mine the revised stadium strategy makes sense. Build a 30,000 purpose built rectangular ground at Parramatta, that is a no brainer. Spend the remainder of the strategy for a genuine refurb of the two, put a roof on Allianz and make ANZ rectangular (to do that you'd probably need to knock down half the stadium but it will still be cheaper than a full rebuild at Allianz.

You then have three stadiums that can cater for different events. Now that the SCG and Spotless cater for AFL and cricket a rectangular ANZ can cater for the major events, the ones people don't mind travelling for - i.e. State of Origins, NRL Finals, World Cup qualifiers, Bledisloe Cup matches, A League derbies and finals and major football matches. Even from that list it should get about a dozen capacity events. The NRL clubs can then scale their games around the other venues.

I'm delighted that we're back at home but I agree that the main issue in favour of ANZ Stadium is capacity. This is compounded by the dismal Ticketek system that regularly says that the SCG is sold out when only 30,000 end up fronting up. The last thing we want is for casual supporters to give up trying to attend matches as they feel that the games are always sold out. I do see merit in finals at ANZ Stadium if it means we're going to draw 55,000 plus. If that just means more away supporters, I'm not interested but if it deprives Sydney fans a chance to see their team then we have a problem.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I'm delighted that we're back at home but I agree that the main issue in favour of ANZ Stadium is capacity. This is compounded by the dismal Ticketek system that regularly says that the SCG is sold out when only 30,000 end up fronting up. The last thing we want is for casual supporters to give up trying to attend matches as they feel that the games are always sold out. I do see merit in finals at ANZ Stadium if it means we're going to draw 55,000 plus. If that just means more away supporters, I'm not interested but if it deprives Sydney fans a chance to see their team then we have a problem.
    I have to admit that I am guilty for some of the 30000 only crowd when it's a "sellout". We have a family membership two adults and two kids reserved seats. We don't always bring the kids but I'm not very diligent at returning out unused seats to the club for sale. I should be better at it. I suspect that is similar to Many reserved seats members

Gee that sounds so easy.

Only a 20 minute walk!

Lol
    Get over yourself Barry. I lived in Sydney for about 25 years before making the move down the coast. Access to the SCG is not difficult, unless you are navigationally challenged. If you don't like the SCG, don't go. I won't miss you. Your sarcasm isn't appreciated - stick it.

Get over yourself Barry. I lived in Sydney for about 25 years before making the move down the coast. Access to the SCG is not difficult, unless you are navigationally challenged. If you don't like the SCG, don't go. I won't miss you. Your sarcasm isn't appreciated - stick it.
    HE_WILL_NOT_LET_THIS_GO....

I'd love to know how many of his 3,700 posts are about his beloved ANZ Stadium

Whilst I may not necessarily agree with all Barry says, he's entitled to his opinion. His posts are not playing the man so not against RWO rules unlike your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Whilst I may not necessarily agree with all Barry says, he's entitled to his opinion. His posts are not playing the man so not against RWO rules unlike your own.
    Sorry about my brain explosion. You shouldn't have to read it. If I get kicked off this forum, I'll wear that. My fault. And for the record, I'm ok with differing opinions, but not when sarcasm is involved; it's a weak method of attack ... Or playing the man. That's what was at the heart of my objection.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast