Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shane Biggs - why did we delist him again?

Shane Biggs - why did we delist him again?

I read that Shane Biggs absolutely tore up Freo for the Dogs. And good luck to him - great to see him do well!

I'm a bit puzzled though by why we delisted him if he really is that good. Was it a mistake? Is this a one-off performance? Or was it a case of someone who needed to go somewhere else to prosper.

Just curious.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    We didn't, he wanted to leave. Took the easy way out instead of staying and fighting for his spot.

Wasn't he traded for a second round pick?

Young Dunks looked quite good too, time will tell whether we made the right call there.

Our depth is pretty good though and as we know we can't have everyone

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    35 touches, not bad!

I liked Shane a lot, although feared he was going to snap in two every time he went near a grown up if he didn't add much more to his 45 kg frame. Didn't he reach a point where he'd need to be upgraded and we had the riches of the Academy coming through taking up senior list spots?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

If Shaw would have retired at the end of the 2014 season then Biggs would have had a good chance of slotting into our defence. Most of us on here would have wanted him to stay, but I can understand that at 23 yo he would choose to leave and go to a club that gave him a better opportunity to gain a spot in the senior side. Even though Biggs is doing well at the Bulldogs, he would still be fighting for a spot against the likes of Jones, Mills and Rohan this year. I think he made the right choice. It's hard to stockpile players.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Wasn't he traded for a second round pick?
    He was traded for a two pick upgrade. Which was basically a way for him to get to the Bulldogs without waiting for the PSD. We picked up Rose with that pick.

He wanted to leave so screw him. If only all our players tried as hard as someone like Ted Richards, who battled it out in the seconds for a while after 2006 before cementing a spot in the side.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    He wanted to leave so screw him. If only all our players tried as hard as someone like Ted Richards, who battled it out in the seconds for a while after 2006 before cementing a spot in the side.
    How do you feel about players like Joey Kennedy and Shane Mumford who decided to leave their original club for better opportunities instead of battling it out in the reserves.

Biggs spent three years on our rookie list so the accusation that he wasn't prepared to tough it out is incorrect. The extent of Ted's spell in the ressies was 6 games in 2010 and he only really got back into the side because of injury to B2

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    How do you feel about players like Joey Kennedy and Shane Mumford who decided to leave their original club for better opportunities instead of battling it out in the reserves.

Biggs spent three years on our rookie list so the accusation that he wasn't prepared to tough it out is incorrect. The extent of Ted's spell in the ressies was 6 games in 2010 and he only really got back into the side because of injury to B2
    Yeah, think he deserved an upgrade after his second year on the rookie list. Performed well at senior level including a couple of finals when called upon and would have been the perfect replacement for Malceski.

Salary cap versus what the dogs were willing to offer probably impacted but wish we'd played him a bit more and tried harder to retain him

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    If only all our players tried as hard as someone like Ted Richards, who battled it out in the seconds for a while after....
    ....leaving Essendon for a fresh start and more opportunities.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Biggs was here at a time when the first team squad was incredibly settled and I don't blame him for leaving. He'd be a chance of getting a game for us now but who would we be leaving out?

The loss of Jetta, Goodes and Shaw and to a lesser extent Bird has really given the squad a massive refresh for player opportunity (I've not mentioned Pyke because he was directly replaced).

Hindsight is great but we don't lose too many players that go on to be superstars elsewhere, plus I like that kids can come here learn their trade and even if they don't get a great chance here they can still get a chance elsewhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast