Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Now that Talia is out for 8-12 weeks, can he be put on the LTI list and can we upgrade another Rookie or is there a limit?
    I would think we could. I don't believe AJ has been put on the LTI either.

As for Talia, I am assuming that although he had some bone displacement he will not require surgery for bone fixation, else the recovery period would likely be longer than the time stated. It's a scary injury with many re-injuries when the recovery is not done properly. The NFL had a study on Lisfranc injuries and the average return to playing time was 11 months, but there is a whole range of severity in this type of injury. The Dane Swan injury with 3 broken bones reported is one example. I can't see him returning this year. I suppose Talia will be in a moonboot for a good 4-6 weeks. I would think 12 weeks is a best case scenario as it will take time to scale up to match fitness.

I know we shouldn't take Carlton lightly, but they really don't have much of a forward line to worry about. Casboult will take his marks even against the best defenders, but it usually doesn't amount to much damage due to his poor kicking. I would give Ted another week in the reserves and try Aliir to come in for Talia. I would put him on Casboult and see how he goes. With Talia likely missing for at least half the season and with some uncertainty to the time off his return, I would take the opportunity against Carlton to try to build the depth in our KPD area. If not Aliir, then XR is okay too. Furthermore, with both Cameron and McCarthy not playing in the round 3 game for GWS, we could even extend the Aliir or XR inclusion for another game, as both would have had experience playing against Patton, Lobb and Stewart in reserves matches, which would help. With Reid and Rohan also out injured, an all too frequent state of affairs, we should take every chance available to build depth to our defence.

I know Robinson had a decent game against Collingwood, but I would bring in Rose for Robbo, just to be able to compare the 2. Rose is a more natural forward and would allow Hewett and Heeney to spend more time in the midfield, where they would certainly be comfortable. Once McVeigh returns, Robbo would be the first be dropped anyway. Even McGlynn would be a likely replacement as I think Papley would be preferred to Robbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would think we could. I don't believe AJ has been put on the LTI either.

As for Talia, I am assuming that although he had some bone displacement he will not require surgery for bone fixation, else the recovery period would likely be longer than the time stated. It's a scary injury with many re-injuries when the recovery is not done properly. The NFL had a study on Lisfranc injuries and the average return to playing time was 11 months, but there is a whole range of severity in this type of injury. The Dane Swan injury with 3 broken bones reported is one example. I can't see him returning this year. I suppose Talia will be in a moonboot for a good 4-6 weeks. I would think 12 weeks is a best case scenario as it will take time to scale up to match fitness.

I know we shouldn't take Carlton lightly, but they really don't have much of a forward line to worry about. Casboult will take his marks even against the best defenders, but it usually doesn't amount to much damage due to his poor kicking. I would give Ted another week in the reserves and try Aliir to come in for Talia. I would put him on Casboult and see how he goes. With Talia likely missing for at least half the season and with some uncertainty to the time off his return, I would take the opportunity against Carlton to try to build the depth in our KPD area. If not Aliir, then XR is okay too. Furthermore, with both Cameron and McCarthy not playing in the round 3 game for GWS, we could even extend the Aliir or XR inclusion for another game, as both would have had experience playing against Patton, Lobb and Stewart in reserves matches, which would help. With Reid and Rohan also out injured, an all too frequent state of affairs, we should take every chance available to build depth to our defence.

I know Robinson had a decent game against Collingwood, but I would bring in Rose for Robbo, just to be able to compare the 2. Rose is a more natural forward and would allow Hewett and Heeney to spend more time in the midfield, where they would certainly be comfortable. Once McVeigh returns, Robbo would be the first be dropped anyway. Even McGlynn would be a likely replacement as I think Papley would be preferred to Robbo.
    I like your idea of blooding players but if Ted's fit he plays in my book.

Your idea of giving Rose a chance has some real merit as from all reports his brained it against GWS but I tend to lean towards giving fringe players like him and Robbo blocks of time as they are being introduced to senior footy.

I'll trust the match committee to make the right decision but that's my 20p

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

I'll trust the match committee to make the right decision but that's my 20p
    Geez, inflation!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    That is true.....a tiny little article that was easy to miss. It's a reflection of the Hun's deplorable attitude towards our club. No write up of the Swans-Collingwood game at all on the Monday, just stats( it didn't make Sundays edition as it was late the night before). Oh, but lots on the poor Magpies, the drug testing leak, Swan's injury, Buckley's ire at the drug testing leak, Sidebottom's suspension etc etc etc!
    The Sunday Herald Sun that I bought had a write up of our game. You must have bought one that was an earlier edition.

I do agree with you that most of the talk after the game in the newspapers and on the various footy shows was all about the drugs story, Dane Swan and Sidebottom. We weren't given much credit for the win whereas for the bulldogs all the talk has been about how good they are. (Although we do prefer to be under the radar!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree.
    I would love to see the dynamic of Papley and Rose buzzing around the forward 50 together.
    Throw in Benny McGlynn and we have our very own 'mosquito fleet'.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Who was the mosquito in the 70's?
    Wasn't he a Carlton player?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I agree.
    I would love to see the dynamic of Papley and Rose buzzing around the forward 50 together.
    Throw in Benny McGlynn and we have our very own 'mosquito fleet'.
    Well said, damn I would like to see that.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    The Sunday Herald Sun that I bought had a write up of our game. You must have bought one that was an earlier edition.

I do agree with you that most of the talk after the game in the newspapers and on the various footy shows was all about the drugs story, Dane Swan and Sidebottom. We weren't given much credit for the win whereas for the bulldogs all the talk has been about how good they are. (Although we do prefer to be under the radar!)
    I'm in the country, so that edition must go out earlier and miss the write up. Still sucks! They should put it in the Sunday country edition! So it's a city/country thing then!

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Was don't we blood AA or Abe Davis??

Carlton does not have a great forward line, and if Talia injury has show anything, we need more players to be able to cover injuries.

It the second game of the season, we can take risks, lets experiment.

Blood one more youngest please, and let see how it goes!
    doof-doof

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    An odd quirk from Round 1 - every winning team plays in Round 2 a team that was a loser in Round 1.
    Actually three coincidences happening here.
    1. In round one the home team won every game
    2. In round two the losing teams from round one are the home teams
    3. Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
      An odd quirk from Round 1 - every winning team plays in Round 2 a team that was a loser in Round 1.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Both Reid and Rohan are injured but if we are going to keep playing a more open game REID would be an unstoppable 196cm roving wingman or Forward/Back flanker and ROHAN can stay forward and burnt all the defenders. I have baked McVEIGH quite a bit but again in an open game plan McVEIGH can play anyway and will play very good footy. Unsure about Benny though might get a go when PAPS need a break.

Just one question. Who is the next best tall defender after TEDDY, right now?
    Teddy was not our best tall defender last year, Reg was. Reg is still our best tall defender until proven otherwise. Aliir is developing and unfortunately Talia, who I think was really good, is injured. Xav isn't as bad as some people make out.

Senior Player
    As much as I love Ted I'm almost hoping that X or aliir gets named this week to replace talia because ( I know this is dangerous) we should have carltons measure and secondly we need to build the experience into the younger guys and see what they can do at senior level. Last week showed us that the younger guys often just the opportunity and BOOM

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast