Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I don't think it is at all fair to accuse TD of having an ugly head!
    Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Tom Derickx was very excited about being named as an emergency. Here he is at training this week practicing his role in case he has to come into the side:

Yes, but why does he have an umbrella when the sun is shining? Will he be performing, It's Raining Men?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, but why does he have an umbrella when the sun is shining? Will he be performing, It's Raining Men?
    Poor Tom. Practicing with an umbrella for a game at Etihad Stadium. This is why he's only an emergency and is having trouble breaking into the senior team. If we had Mick Malthouse as head coach instead of Horse, he'd be on to this right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Poor Tom. Practicing with an umbrella for a game at Etihad Stadium. This is why he's only an emergency and is having trouble breaking into the senior team. If we had Mick Malthouse as head coach instead of Horse, he'd be on to this right away.
    Ahhh, I wonder what Paul Chambers is doing these days?

Going to be an interesting game. Teddy for Talia looks to be the only change with DRex and BJ travelling emergencies. We tend to pass the emergency baton so players don't lose too much match fitness.

1. There is a pocket of thought that says if you stop Cripps you stop Carlton. I don't agree with this, footy is a team game. If Cripps is under control that means we are putting lots of energy into him. This leaves Gibbs and Murphy with much more freedom. For me controlling all these players is about having the right strategies at stoppages and centre bounces.

2. There has also been a lot of talk on this board and others about our weak defence. I'm afraid I just can't see it. Our defence is one of the strongest in the AFL and the loss of one player is not going to hugely affect that. Talia filled the gap Teddy left over the pre-season and first match very well and Mills has been super. Reg is a rock and Laids, Smithy (after a few early stuff ups) and Rampe were more than solid last week and annihilated their respective opponents. Opponents the so called experts had murdering them. With Lloydy running back to offer a bit of help and leading the charge from defence I think we are in good shape down back.

3. Our new game plan uses much more direct play and doesn't rely chiefly on rebound footy. This also helps the defence as they are under less pressure than is usual. It also helps with our scoring opportunities as if you are going direct you are not skying the ball and having players wait for the god awful bomb. The passing game is super and the handball run in wolf packs game is wonderful to watch. This is a good way to utilise the running handball game because if it does stuff up you have back up behind you to clean up and restart the play to tackle the opposition and turn the ball over. I think the forwards are just licking their lips at this more direct footy.

4. Our forward line has the best structure it has had since 2012. Talls, crumbing smalls and medium forwards. All very different and that diversity in itself causes opposition headaches. Because any of them could be a target so they can't afford to just man up Tip & Bud, they now have Towers, Heeney, Papley and the resting mids to man up. Not easy especially if one of those is Lukie Parker. Not only that they have to worry about Hannas and Harry getting loose and being marking targets. Wow a lot to worry about if you are an opposition coach.

I think we can beat Carlton, by how much remains to be seen. Bolton has them playing a really good brand of footy but he will need his back line to play out of their skins as well as his Achilles Heel, the forward line to kick a score. So far he has relied on his mids to score. I think they are a good midfield but the other two are going to be their problems. I don't think they can score enough or keep us to a low enough score to win. I believe we are a 5-10 goal better team even without playing out wonderful kids. With them who knows?
    Last edited by wolftone57; 1st April 2016 at 05:08 PM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Final Sunday teams:

Carl v Syd Inter; C Curnow, Phillips, Wright, Lamb.
    Emerg; Byrne, Buckley, Rowe.
    Thomas, C Curnow in for Rowe, Buckley.

Syd Swans v Carlton Interchange; Hewett, Papley, Robinson, Towers.
    Emergencies; Derickx, B Jack, Rose.
    Richards in for Talia.

Rowe out is interesting, they are going with one less tall defender.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Final Sunday teams:

Carl v Syd Inter; C Curnow, Phillips, Wright, Lamb.
    Emerg; Byrne, Buckley, Rowe.
    Thomas, C Curnow in for Rowe, Buckley.

Syd Swans v Carlton Interchange; Hewett, Papley, Robinson, Towers.
    Emergencies; Derickx, B Jack, Rose.
    Richards in for Talia.

Rowe out is interesting, they are going with one less tall defender.
    Yes, especially when that seems to indicate that they'll be putting Weitering on Buddy. It might pay off for them? But more than likely, it will mess with the confidence of a valuable prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, especially when that seems to indicate that they'll be putting Weitering on Buddy. It might pay off for them? But more than likely, it will mess with the confidence of a valuable prospect.
    I'm sure he'll have help. I actually think it's a good move. They know they won't make finals, so why not give him a chance on someone like Franklin. He's so much more mobile than other forwards (other than Nick Reiwoldt) but still has so much strength that it'll be a good chance for Weitering to see how far he has to go.

Great analysis above Wolftone. I'd add that our record at Docklands is also a factor tomorrow. We really do love playing there.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Weitering (195) and Jamison (193) are both KPP. White is more than capable of playing on our third tall as they are going to be Towers or Joey at different times. I do think he might be a bit done for pace by Deano though.

Just as I thought only Teddy for us. DRex and Bj just along for the ride to as it is their turn.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Going to be an interesting game. Teddy for Talia looks to be the only change with DRex and BJ travelling emergencies. We tend to pass the emergency baton so players don't lose too much match fitness.

1. ...

I believe we are a 5-10 goal better team even without playing out wonderful kids. With them who knows?
    I hope you aren't reading too much into one game.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    A good background piece reflecting what others have said here:

Sydney Swans' fate in 2016 rests in hands of inexperienced players
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    A good background piece reflecting what others have said here:

Sydney Swans' fate in 2016 rests in hands of inexperienced players
    Ta, good article.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678