Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 1: Brisbane Lions Reserves v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Burpengary

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Is that consecutive BOGs for Marsh? After being our best NEAFL player last year too? I really hope that if he keeps doing all that is asked of him, which I infer he must be from his repeated selection as best Swans NEAFL player, he eventually gets his opportunity to prove himself in the seniors.
    Is March still back on the rookie list or did we upgrade him?

Listening to the AFL commentary yesterday with Healy talking about Papley being upgraded it sounded like we only just had enough money in the salary to upgrade Papley to the senior list.

I'm just wondering whether the cupboard is literally bare cap wise and that we budgeted for upgrading one player through the year and one player only. If that is the case then Harry and Nic may well have to wait until the end of the year and be upgraded in 2017.

It would be a shame but if that is our financial situation then so be it.

Senior Player
    I was thinking about this preseason.

The consensus thought seems to be that Healy is correct from the point of view that we are running with a 38 player senior list because we don't have enough salary cap to upgrade any rookies under the nominated rookie rules.

However we can use the long term injury list to upgrade rookies temporarily while a senior listed player is injured. At the moment we have Rohan on the long term injured list as well as Alex Johnson ( not sure if they've actually formalised that).

Marsh is indeed on the rookie list this year. I confirmed it with the club because the website still had him listed on the senior list. Marsh and Newman are the only rookies I see as possible upgrades this year

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post

The consensus thought seems to be that Healy is correct from the point of view that we are running with a 38 player senior list because we don't have enough salary cap to upgrade any rookies under the nominated rookie rules.

However we can use the long term injury list to upgrade rookies temporarily while a senior listed player is injured. At the moment we have Rohan on the long term injured list as well as Alex Johnson ( not sure if they've actually formalised that).

Marsh is indeed on the rookie list this year. I confirmed it with the club because the website still had him listed on the senior list. Marsh and Newman are the only rookies I see as possible upgrades this year
    I guess we just don't know the financial situation and how much it plays out. I don't think that having 38 on the senior list as opposed to 40 has really hurt us at all, as you usually have a few players on the LTIL

If Harry does miss out this year that would be a shame but I wouldn't think a full year paying his dues and an upgrade for next year, ready to push for round 1, 2017 would hurt.

Newman and Marsh do seem the only realistic upgrades at this stage. It will create an interesting situation re the senior list. Benny and Ted would seem to be heading for retirement and Tom Dx would surely be de-listed as you'd also think sadly would Alex.

With Papley also being upgraded that means we'd still only be net -1 so we'd need to find another two slots as we need to draft a minimum of three players. Maybe we'd only upgrade one of Nic and Harry but we'd be turning over at least one more player. I'd think if X isn't playing senior football this year he'd be very vulnerable and we'd probably be tempted to delist AA and possibly re-draft him as a rookie as with Harry. Toby and Jack are also playing for their careers this year.

It's a tough school at the Swans
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 4th April 2016 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post

I'm sure it is the case that we are running close to the limit. We have an extra 2 rookies on the list as well, which don't cost too much, but still add something. We may drop a rookie next year and take the list down to 45.

The comment regarding drafting Papley was whether we had enough cap space to carry 46 players.

Unless there's some incredible optimism over Talia's return, we should put him on the LTIL. I believe Rohan gets off the list at round 5 and may be ready for the ressies, then we could move Papley to take Talia's place until he's ready to return. We still will have AJ to put on the injury list if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Unless there's some incredible optimism over Talia's return, we should put him on the LTIL. I believe Rohan gets off the list at round 5 and may be ready for the ressies, then we could move Papley to take Talia's place until he's ready to return. We still will have AJ to put on the injury list if need be.
    Alex Johnson is already on LTI as per Swans statement of 22 March.

Johnson placed on long term injury list - sydneyswans.com.au

Also, I don't think the salary cap (formally referred to as 'Total Player Payments') includes the cost of rookies, that is I think the salary cap only refers to the senior list salary payments (and that is the reason the Swans run with the minimum size senior list of 38 players). Wording below is from Schedule C Sn 4 (g) of the current collective agreement with the players' association.

"Football payments to a Rookiei)while on the Rookie List; and/or (ii) while on the Primary List to replace a long term injured Player, shall not be included in the Total Player Payments of an AFL Club..."

Senior Player
    I am also of the understanding of the understanding that rookie players salary are not included in the total player payments (ie salary cap)

I've also thought we should place talia on the long term injured list. Gives us flexibility

Senior Player
    I've just watched the highlights of the neafl. I'm guessing it was quite hot there. The players were all hands on hips. And there seemed to be no where near the run of an AFL game. I know there is a big gap between NEAFL and AFL level but it seemed even bigger from those highlights than usual

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Toby and Jack are also playing for their careers this year.

It's a tough school at the Swans
    Brandon Jack got a 2 year extension
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by churry View Post
    Brandon Jack got a 2 year extension
    Sorry I meant Jack Hiscox

Sam Naismith has played so little in his time at Swans; must be a risk too

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Sam Naismith has played so little in his time at Swans; must be a risk too
    He was re-signed last year as well on a three year deal. Ruckman tend to take longer to develop but we clearly see him as a long term prospect if we signed him until the end of 2018. I'm going to try and watch the Ressies at Henson Park this week so I'll be interested to see how Galloway plays as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast