Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 3 V GWS.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Benny's getting straight back in on those premiership credits

Ben's in the best 22, and probably in it over Dean if push comes to shove. But I feel Dean earnt his R3 spot, so I hope Ben commanded his in his maggos/training outings.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post

Ben's in the best 22, and probably in it over Dean if push comes to shove. But I feel Dean earnt his R3 spot, so I hope Ben commanded his in his maggos/training outings.
    Well if not Towers then who? Personally I would have dropped Robinson

Disappointing selection. He didn't play in 2012. Lets move on from that

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Except he didn't play in a premiership

Veteran Site Admin
    I imagine that it is Benny's tackling and general pressure skills that have won him the nod. While I think Dean can count himself unlucky, this is an area where he does have room for improvement. The first two wins have been built on high pressure applied across the team and it will need to go up a notch to match the Giants in that department.

I am sure Dean will get another chance sooner rather than later. If we recognise the squad needs some strong depth if it is to challenge for the premiership this year, we have to acknowledge that this means some senior quality players are going to miss out, especially while our injury list is modest.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I imagine that it is Benny's tackling and general pressure skills that have won him the nod. While I think Dean can count himself unlucky, this is an area where he does have room for improvement. The first two wins have been built on high pressure applied across the team and it will need to go up a notch to match the Giants in that department.

I am sure Dean will get another chance sooner rather than later. If we recognise the squad needs some strong depth if it is to challenge for the premiership this year, we have to acknowledge that this means some senior quality players are going to miss out, especially while our injury list is modest.
    Dean will play plenty of senior footy this year, he was far from poor last week and can certainly consider himself unlucky.

For mine we've brought in McGylnn for his mongrel and aggression and he will add some added steel to the mids, I'm happy to trust Horse on this one.

I understand that McGlynn has earned his place over time and I'm also in favor of a rotation policy but if he has been omitted on the difference between their tackling pressure then I believe other considerations come into play.

For example, Towers provides a marking target and contests strongly in aerial contests usually bringing the ball to ground. He can go 3rd man up successfully. He provides pace on the chase out and is a sound kick for goal.

Ben has real grit is elusive and tackles ferociously. His kicking is inconsistent and he regularly turns the ball over by hand. Papley has been providing a crumbing option up forward so I presume that he will be used to provide pressure in the midfield.

I remain skeptical but hopeful.

This game is going to be very physical and played with high intensity.

No doubt there's a match up they think Ben can impact for us...

He's done some excellent nullifying jobs in the past, I suspect that will be his role on Saturday. (Looking forward to seeing who he's on)

I'm happy with this change.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    This game is going to be very physical and played with high intensity.

No doubt there's a match up they think Ben can impact for us...

He's done some excellent nullifying jobs in the past, I suspect that will be his role on Saturday. (Looking forward to seeing who he's on)

I'm happy with this change.
    Saturday will be won or lost in the midfield and I expect a brutal start to the match. I'm Towers' biggest fan but I can handle this as I am very very comfortable having Benny getting stuck in GWS's bunch of gobby kids.

I have loved Angry Ants work in the past.. I may be wrong but I seem to remember him taking it up to Johnathon Brown. It has been a while since he has been at his best. Last year he never reached it through injury. I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that he can deliver on Sat.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Except he didn't play in a premiership
    He should have. He worked hard and earned a spot as much as anyone. It was a tragedy him doing his hammy, poor bugger.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Benny came in 7th in the 2014 B&F voting, finishing just one point behind Malceski, who made the AA team. Last year Benny was plagued with injury, so it's easy to forget just how good he was (I also forgot). If he can stay healthy and regain that 2014 form, he can certainly make a huge contribution.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast