Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 3 V GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    To me what Healy is reported to have said doesn't make sense. I suspect he doesn't understand the salary cap rules in regard to rookies.

Yes we have two 'spare' senior spots in the sense that formally we have a senior list of the minimum of 38 and the allowed maximum is 40. However I suspect we don't have salary cap space to increase our senior list. That said we have only upgraded Papley to date and we already have two on the LTI - Rohan and Johnson. Papley was upgraded nominally to replace Rohan but I don't think there is anything in the rules that would prevent the club switching him to replace Johnson, should they wish to do so when Rohan comes back.

I suspect the club has just been playing it cautiously to see how Papley coped in the seniors. And we've got a pretty good idea of that now!
    Thanks for clarifying that.

That makes sense, at the very least he'd be back on the rookie list when Gary returns and then can be upgraded for Alex's spot which he sadly won't be taking this year, if ever.....

You'd never wish a bad injury on anyone but it would be good if Harry could get some taste of senior footy this year form permitting. I'm going to head to Henson for the twos at midday on Sunday before the bug game which I'm really looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    To me what Healy is reported to have said doesn't make sense. I suspect he doesn't understand the salary cap rules in regard to rookies.

Yes we have two 'spare' senior spots in the sense that formally we have a senior list of the minimum of 38 and the allowed maximum is 40. However I suspect we don't have salary cap space to increase our senior list. That said we have only upgraded Papley to date and we already have two on the LTI - Rohan and Johnson. Papley was upgraded nominally to replace Rohan but I don't think there is anything in the rules that would prevent the club switching him to replace Johnson, should they wish to do so when Rohan comes back.

I suspect the club has just been playing it cautiously to see how Papley coped in the seniors. And we've got a pretty good idea of that now!
    Thanks Meg for keeping us informed on the labyrinthine AFL rule book as well as the status of our LTIL.

For some reason I thought rookie salaries only counted 50% toward the cap. I'm not sure where I got that idea from. I think we probably didn't have enough cap space to take Papley in the ND, so we had to hope he was still available at our 1st rookie pick. It's still confusing why Healy made the comment that the decision to take Papley was made the night before the rookie draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Thanks Meg for keeping us informed on the labyrinthine AFL rule book as well as the status of our LTIL.

For some reason I thought rookie salaries only counted 50% toward the cap. I'm not sure where I got that idea from. I think we probably didn't have enough cap space to take Papley in the ND, so we had to hope he was still available at our 1st rookie pick. It's still confusing why Healy made the comment that the decision to take Papley was made the night before the rookie draft.
    Whatever the situation I'm so glad that they whipped the hat around and got him on our list because I just love the way the little fella goes about his footy, he has great bloodlines and he is just that bolter we needed to give the side that X Factor. Normally I'd be worried about a first year player like him fading badly but I'm not sure we'll see that with tom. For start he is a bit older and has a wiser head on his shoulders and secondly he is big enough and physical enough to handle himself as an AFL footballer given his senior country footy background. I've loved the arrival of Mills and Hewett but Tom is my story of the season so far

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    For some reason I thought rookie salaries only counted 50% toward the cap. I'm not sure where I got that idea from.
    I have read that (50% rule) as well but it's not what current collective agreement says. Perhaps it used to be the rule. I haven't searched further.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that.

That makes sense, at the very least he'd be back on the rookie list when Gary returns and then can be upgraded for Alex's spot which he sadly won't be taking this year, if ever.....

You'd never wish a bad injury on anyone but it would be good if Harry could get some taste of senior footy this year form permitting. I'm going to head to Henson for the twos at midday on Sunday before the bug game which I'm really looking forward to.
    MP, just to make sure, the big game is on Saturday.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by jetts32 View Post
    In: Papely no. 2

Admin, is there any chance I can change my username from Jetts to Paps?
    haha, not as bad as all the Hawks supporters yelling "Come here buddy" to their dogs
    At least yours is electronic...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    MP, just to make sure, the big game is on Saturday.
    I knew that

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Does Benny get a gig? Do any of the kids need a rest? Should Macca have a run in the 2nds or straight back in?
    These and many more questions answered by the RWO faithful.
    i really feel we don't bring anyone back without reserves match fitness. Macca should do the same as every other player and go through the reserves. I think it would be a good thing anyway as he has to play with these young players in the future and it would be better if he got to know them under match conditions. What's more his experience and leadership would be invaluable in the Twos for a match.

No Change.

After this week the younger lads might need a rest. But we won't know until after the match.

Quote Originally Posted by jetts32 View Post
    In: Papely no. 2

Admin, is there any chance I can change my username from Jetts to Paps?
    "The artist formerly known as Jetts32" would be good...so we know it's still you underneath.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

I'd like to see McGlynn come in.
    I've always looked forward to his returns, but they have lately let me down a bit.
    He'll either come back and solidify a place in the team, or this will be his last year.

Rose is another option given his form in the reserves.
    Maybe he could come in for whichever younger player needs a refresh.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I'd like to see McGlynn come in.
    I've always looked forward to his returns, but they have lately let me down a bit.
    He'll either come back and solidify a place in the team, or this will be his last year.

Rose is another option given his form in the reserves.
    Maybe he could come in for whichever younger player needs a refresh.
    Longmire has always been hesitant to change a winning side. I think the priority is to get McVeigh back, so if McGlynn comes in, then 2 changes will have to be made once Macca is ready, which could be next week.

As long as Papley is playing well, McGlynn may struggle to make the side as all the newbies have good disposal skills which is part of the reason we are getting so many inside 50s.

I don't know what Horse will do, but if I had to drop someone for Macca this week, it would be Mills, mostly because he's holding down the position Macca is most likely to fill. I would be loathe to drop Hewett, Jones or Robbo as it would be confidence deflating after waiting more than 2 years to crack into the side as a regular and I'd like to see how they go as the opposition gets tougher, as it will in the next 3 games. I realize that some players will have to be dropped when all of Macca, Reid and Rohan are ready, but that still looks some weeks away. Maybe form or injury will be the decider.

I'd say that Mills would be my pick of the newbies to make room for McVeigh.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast