Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it already Killing Season 2016 (List Management) after 2 rounds

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    There Lions had an extra man just outside the pack so of course they could move out quicker if we allowed them.
    Adelaide have lost one of the quickest midfielders Danger and are now seen as quick. They are playing differently under a new coach and their second tier forwards have progressed.
    The Saints pull their forwards up the ground to leave space in front of the goals so they look quick because they have to run hard into that open space. Also, they bring a lot of pressure creating turnovers which can make a team look quick because they essentially have a fast break.
    Every year, for as far back as I can remember "we need more speed" has been the call but the Swans continue to recruit footballers over athletes, with speed not appearing to be their first consideration even though it "is becoming more important in the game."
    I am not convinced it is a vital ingredient for a team, more a handy asset.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I see from the OS that both Mills and Heeney are signed up on initial three year deals so that takes away any urgency re young Isaac.

Looking ahead at our list changes for this year, I'd say we have the following outs - Tom Dx, AJ, Xav and probably Ted. That would see us drafting three players and upgrading Papley. If we want to upgrade Nic too then we'd need to either increase the senior list or release an additional player. I see Harry Marsh is listed as a senior player, is that correct? If so, then it would be a shootout between him and Nic I suspect. Colin O'Riordan will also be pushing for an upgrade too I suspect but I suspect we may well keep him on the rookie list for an additional season and not rush his development as there's no need to rush that kid, he is only 21.

But then again I also think we'll be looking at bringing in an established KPD as well as using our first round draft pick to select the best available KPD. Unless we really believe Reid can handle that slot long term, which I don't btw. Which begs the question, how do we fit this in to our list management.

It's an early call but I'll make it now and it's that we'll be trading an established player at season end as part of a KPD deal that may also involve a draft pick upgrade for either club. It will probably be the only trade business we do as our list is so well balanced.

For mine there's probably only three players we'd consider letting go that have any currency and they are Rohan, Reid and Mitchell.

IMO it will only be Mitchell if he wants to leave and I don't think Gary would be worth much at the trade table. But Reid would be and I think we could get a very good KPD in and because he is on top coin (about $500K a year apparently) we'd have no salary cap issues. I like Reid but I don't think he is earning his current salary (even when not injured) and he could well benefit from a change in scenery too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I see from the OS that both Mills and Heeney are signed up on initial three year deals so that takes away any urgency re young Isaac.

Looking ahead at our list changes for this year, I'd say we have the following outs - Tom Dx, AJ, Xav and probably Ted. That would see us drafting three players and upgrading Papley. If we want to upgrade Nic too then we'd need to either increase the senior list or release an additional player. I see Harry Marsh is listed as a senior player, is that correct? If so, then it would be a shootout between him and Nic I suspect. Colin O'Riordan will also be pushing for an upgrade too I suspect but I suspect we may well keep him on the rookie list for an additional season and not rush his development as there's no need to rush that kid, he is only 21.

But then again I also think we'll be looking at bringing in an established KPD as well as using our first round draft pick to select the best available KPD. Unless we really believe Reid can handle that slot long term, which I don't btw. Which begs the question, how do we fit this in to our list management.

It's an early call but I'll make it now and it's that we'll be trading an established player at season end as part of a KPD deal that may also involve a draft pick upgrade for either club. It will probably be the only trade business we do as our list is so well balanced.

For mine there's probably only three players we'd consider letting go that have any currency and they are Rohan, Reid and Mitchell.

IMO it will only be Mitchell if he wants to leave and I don't think Gary would be worth much at the trade table. But Reid would be and I think we could get a very good KPD in and because he is on top coin (about $500K a year apparently) we'd have no salary cap issues. I like Reid but I don't think he is earning his current salary (even when not injured) and he could well benefit from a change in scenery too.
    I thought that clubs could take a minimum two players in the draft if you have a rookie upgrade. It's three in the draft if you don't upgrade a rookie? Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

Marsh is on the rookie list - we delisted him last year but picked him back up as a rookie.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

It has been reported on the AFL website that in 2017 Reid and Rohan become free agents. I hope that the club resigns them to new contracts by the beginning of next season as I feel that they will be integral to the playing list.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    It has been reported on the AFL website that in 2017 Reid and Rohan become free agents. I hope that the club resigns them to new contracts by the beginning of next season as I feel that they will be integral to the playing list.
    I love Gary but he's played 61 games in 6? years better of drafting a 18 year old with speed if Gary wants to leave if he wants to stay then sign him if he doesn't ask too much salary wise

Hey Levii3,

Don't forget he was out of the game for virtually 2 seasons due to that horrendous broken leg so he deserves some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    I love Gary but he's played 61 games in 6? years better of drafting a 18 year old with speed if Gary wants to leave if he wants to stay then sign him if he doesn't ask too much salary wise
    I think we'll give Gary every chance to prove he deserves a new deal but right now he's a 50/50 bet in my book.

Reid I think is more interesting. IMO he has not earned his $500,000 a year over the last four years. He's teased us with glimpses of what he is capable of but we're still waiting for him to play a full four quarters and tear a game apart. It's a harsh assessment but I think a true one. I rate him but he frustrates the hell out of me.

If we want to make a play for Hurley then we'll need that $500,000 and Reid plus Ted retiring would give us ample coin to get him in our cap. It's a big call but I'd much prefer Hurley at CHB than Reid's little cameos. We won't get a huge trade deal as the main purpose would be getting him off the salary bill but I'm sure a club like a Brisbane would quite happy pay him silly money for a couple of second round picks which we could then bank into our academy kids

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Hey Levii3,

Don't forget he was out of the game for virtually 2 seasons due to that horrendous broken leg so he deserves some slack.

I think we've given plenty of slack to rohan in the last two year he's played one good game against North that was two years ago last year he was ordinary some players never get a good run at it because of injuries like Rohan and the Reid brothers at some point you need to pull the plug

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    I think we've given plenty of slack to rohan in the last two year he's played one good game against North that was two years ago last year he was ordinary some players never get a good run at it because of injuries like Rohan and the Reid brothers at some point you need to pull the plug
    I'm glad he's got next season too but he's definitely playing for his career, with us anyway. You'd think if we don't keep him another club will throw him a lifeline

Veteran Site Admin
    Emerging Swans defender signs contract extension - AFL.com.au

Mr All Australian earns himself another two years on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Emerging Swans defender signs contract extension - AFL.com.au

Mr All Australian earns himself another two years on the list.
    That's a great result for us and for him, he's a late developer for obvious reasons but I liked what I saw the other week and I think he can be part of our next generation. I like we've given him the confidence and security of a two year extension