Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it already Killing Season 2016 (List Management) after 2 rounds

Senior Player
    You'll have to excuse me if this has already been discussed in this thread, as I haven't been keeping completely abreast of the entire discussion on here, but here's my thoughts..

"Small Ball"

The emergence of the Golden State Warriors, and their small ball style that has revolutionised the NBA, has made me think how that could transpire into the AFL. Furthermore, you only have to look at Harry Marsh's efforts on Cameron vs Buddy on Davis; albeit as a one off game comparison. Delivery is the key for key forwards, and if the mids are being let off the leash through the middle, I don't care if you're Davis, SOS, Reg, or McGlynn, you can't stop lace out delivery. So do we actually need a big, bulking backman? Added to that, third up marking contests, which we got killed by on the weekend, is the norm for defense these days, anyway. As a slightly stupid comparison, would you prefer a back six with Reg clones, or Rampe clones? Rampe everyday, as much as I love Reg. The advantage of having ball users coming out of the back, who may occasionally get monstered, would weigh up much better than a bunch of monsters who can't use the ball. Marsh is 189cm, as tall as Mal Michael and Craig Bolton, and I'm not saying he is the future of our backline, but perhaps we're not as in dire need of a big backman as we think. I hold out hope for Tahlia, and I'd love to see Reid, first of all get over his injuries, sagging off his man to win every high ball. The days of the 195cm Jeff White type ruckman is over, considering Patrick Cripps is the same height, but a resting ruckman in the forward line, with Rampe on him, creates a favourable mismatch.. to us.
    C'mon Chels!

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Going forward, George Hewett appears to be, or will be, our most complete footballer in terms of skills, decision making, movement.

His left foot, or non-dominant foot, spear to Heeney was exquisite compared to most of our bomb kicking, his decision making is great, due partly to his movement and therefore creating more time to evaluate his options and also knowing where and when to be there. His goal kicking looks very fluid and again once settled looks very solid in his mechanics.

If he gets about 20 games this year could prepare him for a massive career for him and will built his motor every off season. Where is his contract situation?

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Where is his contract situation?
    He signed an extension about a month ago. There'll be a link somewhere...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    wooohooooo around 1 June, I missed it badly.

I know this may be a bit off thread...

On the Couch were looking at GWS and the talk was their surplus of talent. The context was whether Essendon would trade their number 1 pick and the general consensus was they needed an immediate injection of talent and could not wait two to three years, especially as the draft, whilst of a good standard, does not have a standout with 1-8 pretty even apparently.

They talked of the Bombers trading pick 1 for a couple of the GWS players and when they listed their potential surplus players it was just incredible - Tomlinson, Hoskin-Elliot, Stewart, Marchbank and Steele just to name a few. It will be interesting to see how it pans out - I could see GWS trading players for an extra first rounder which will give them four first rounders which is really another massive recruitment wave - it's just how they do it, maybe Pick 1 isn't that prized this year but I can't see them having less than four first rounders. Then again maybe they'll trade for future picks. IMO both Hoskin-Elliot and Tomlinson are worth first round picks so I reckon either of them and a sweetener like a Jack Steele would have to be very tempting for Woosha, especially if he could somehow get a first rounder thrown in as well from GWS by trading future picks and maybe their second rounder for points.

And that is just good list management (non GWS bashing from me here)

Remember they still need to offload a couple of players off their list and they may need to shed some cap space. There's definitely some talent there to be cherry picked but I just can't see us doing any business there. I think we'll just play the straight bat this year and that we'll be needs based recruiting again with a KPD coming in via some trade

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    You'll have to excuse me if this has already been discussed in this thread, as I haven't been keeping completely abreast of the entire discussion on here, but here's my thoughts..

"Small Ball"

The emergence of the Golden State Warriors, and their small ball style that has revolutionised the NBA, has made me think how that could transpire into the AFL. Furthermore, you only have to look at Harry Marsh's efforts on Cameron vs Buddy on Davis; albeit as a one off game comparison. Delivery is the key for key forwards, and if the mids are being let off the leash through the middle, I don't care if you're Davis, SOS, Reg, or McGlynn, you can't stop lace out delivery. So do we actually need a big, bulking backman? Added to that, third up marking contests, which we got killed by on the weekend, is the norm for defense these days, anyway. As a slightly stupid comparison, would you prefer a back six with Reg clones, or Rampe clones? Rampe everyday, as much as I love Reg. The advantage of having ball users coming out of the back, who may occasionally get monstered, would weigh up much better than a bunch of monsters who can't use the ball. Marsh is 189cm, as tall as Mal Michael and Craig Bolton, and I'm not saying he is the future of our backline, but perhaps we're not as in dire need of a big backman as we think. I hold out hope for Tahlia, and I'd love to see Reid, first of all get over his injuries, sagging off his man to win every high ball. The days of the 195cm Jeff White type ruckman is over, considering Patrick Cripps is the same height, but a resting ruckman in the forward line, with Rampe on him, creates a favourable mismatch.. to us.
    Not across the basketball analogy but I have been mightily impressed with the jobs Rampe (and Laidler to a lesser extent) has been doing this year and Marsh and Aliir have also looked much better than I thought they would. I still think we'll go for a defender at year end, if only because it is the only area of our squad that has a semblance of weakness about it, but I don't feel the same degree of concern about our defence as I did at the start of the season.

I have loved the speed and kick out of the GWS backline this season as it has destroyed other teams most weeks

Ie Shaw, Wilson, Williams etc so personally I would like us to tinker with our backline rotation re speed

A super fast but tall Jonathon marsh 194cm developing player would be great for the HBF....it will be his 3rd year of afl

My gut feeling is Ted will retire

Mcglynn move on to the Gold Coast Suns

McVeigh will stay one more season and experience and game da organisation will be key

We have Talia and AA that can step in for the talls succession inthe backs when needed

Harrison marsh will be a great understudy for nick smith and will get more game time in a lock down type role and at 189cm can move and medium talls and small S as he is mobile young swampy......this allows Zac 50% more time in the midfield

B Smith, Heath Grundy Zak Jones

HB Laidler, Rampe, H.Marsh

C Heeney, Kennedy, Mills

HF macca, Franklin, Hannebery

F Reid, Rohan, Parker

FOL
    Kurt Tippett, k jack, Mitchell ?

I/C Hewett, Lloyd, Sinclair, Towers

EMG

AA
    Talia
    Harry Cunningham
    Abe Davis
    Sam Naismith
    James rose
    Jonathon marsh ?

Just for the hell of it, I thought I'd take an early crack at the 2017 team by making a few changes to your side. I left out both Macca and Mitchell, although I expect that both will be in our best 22 next year. WCE-ESS game too boring to watch any longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

B Smith, Grundy, Talia

HB Laidler, Rampe, Newman

C Heeney, Jack, Hannebery

HF Papley, Franklin, Rose

F Reid, Rohan, Tippett

FOL: Naismith, Kennedy, Parker

I/C Hewett, Jones, O'Riordan, Mills

EMG: Davis, Cunningham, Lloyd

Oops forgot paps but it's time ahead of Mcglynn me thinks for 2017

Kennedy, hannes, Heath, buddy, jack, Parker, smithy, Rampe, laids, Tippett, Sinclair = plenty of leaders

Ps for me laids and Rampe have proven so far how adaptable our back line is without two 193cm type backs ie only Grundy in the main

Rampe going to a tall has meant our counter attack is sharp as he breaks so fast

Gws have shown how a shorter fast backline can be lethal

Hawthorn has gone for a fast tall backline

Laids at 190cm to me plays like a 193cm easily as his arm span is a few inches more then most guys 193cmish if not longer

I think McVeigh and Ted will retire, and maybe mcGlynn retires or leaves.

Our backline is actually performing really well. I think the problems are overstated. But we are at a cross roads where we either promote from within to replace ted, or go to the market to get an established player.

I think we can cover ted internally. Talia, Marsh and Allir have to produce strong 2nd half of the seasons to prove that.

We probably need a new running half back (Heath Shaw type) more than anything.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    ... We probably need a new running half back (Heath Shaw type) more than anything.
    Lewis Jetta?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017