Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 321

Thread: Is it already Killing Season 2016 (List Management) after 2 rounds

  1. #37
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    744
    Over the decade or so years Hawthorn, Geelong and us have proved it's possible to maintain a team of stars together (9 of the last 11 premierships between them) in the age of the salary cap. You have to keep winning, and you have to have a winning culture. There will always be the odd star player that will leave (in our case Malceski). Tom Mitchell has been at the Swans for a while now, and has become part of the furniture. He probably feels pretty good being part of a multiple All Australian midfield and is now mentioned in the same breadth as Kennedy, Hanners, Parker & Jack. I think it would take a vast pile of money to drag him from that.

  2. #38
    I believe that these guys will be gone at the end of the year:

    - Tom Derickx (Delisted - No hope of staying on).
    - Ben McGlynn (Retired - The emergence of Papley, Rose and Hewitt will probably lead to McGlynn not getting a contract extension).
    - Ted Richards (Retired - Probably doing the club a favour by playing on due to the lack of progress of his brother and Aliir. Retirement likely).
    - Alex Johnson (Retired - I don't think the club will give him 2017 to progress).
    - Aliir / X Richards (Delisted - The club may pick one of the two to delist and give the other a final chance in 2017).

    The following guys will be close to leaving but could get one more chance in 2017:

    - Aliir / X Richards (The club may decide to delist both Aliire and X Richards, but I think one will stay on).
    - Brandon Jack (Could be close to being delisted but could get a chance in 2017 due to five other possible list changes above his).
    - Toby Nankervis (Close to being delisted but Ruckman are readily injured and he may provide cover in 2017).

    Rookie Upgrades:

    Tom Papley (Will be a definite upgrade at the end of 2016).
    Harrison Marsh (Playing brilliantly in the reserves according to reserve viewers. After four years of development, 2017 may be his year).

    Market place:

    Will have to assess the situation with players yet to sign for 2017. If Mitchell were to vacate then the Swans will probably look to upgrade their 1st round pick and draft a young key position player (Daniel McStay type) in the 1st round. The Swans would jump at any delisted free agents who were able KPD.

    Academy

    Is there any Key Position talent coming through the academy in the next two years?

  3. #39
    On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    I believe that these guys will be gone at the end of the year:
    - Brandon Jack (Could be close to being delisted but could get a chance in 2017 due to five other possible list changes above his).
    B.Jack is contracted until the end of 2017...really hard to see him being anything other than a depth option until that expires though
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

  4. #40
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    3,419
    Hooker and Hurley can be FA at years end by exercising a clause that Essendon failed in their duty of care. Only one suspended Bomber has recommitted to re-sign for next year.

    Hooker is from WA so highly likely to lob at Freo who have a need and plenty of $.

    Hurley is more 50/50, the kind of player lurable to Hawthorn but if he wants to leave behind his bogan mates in Melb and make a fresh start with us I'd be very happy.

    Surely we would do everything possible to find a very good KPD given this is almost certainly Ted's last year and Reg will be over 30. Fingers crossed Talia can make the grade.

    On the others discussed, Derrickx is gone, XR likely to be, Marsh is on his last lifeline. Aliir looks to be developing, BJ is stagnating but contracted for 2017. Everyone else is showing something, Melican just needs a good run with injuries.

  5. #41
    recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Stanmore
    Posts
    456
    We need a real cull!!!

    Horse has always being too soft with the older players, unlike Hawthorn.

    Was never sold on XR, or Nankervis; a ruckman need pace and endurance these days, why did we recruit him in the first place???

    As for BJ, we need elite kicking skills and hardness, which he has not just got.

    Also need to get rid off Benny, Teddy, and dare I say mcveigh??

    A knee injury at his age spell the end, and four round in, with no sight, it time to call it.

    He should not play until he proves himself in the 2s, and then only sparingly.

    All great careers come to end, he should be show the door!
    doof-doof

  6. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    We need a real cull!!!

    Horse has always being too soft with the older players, unlike Hawthorn.

    Was never sold on XR, or Nankervis; a ruckman need pace and endurance these days, why did we recruit him in the first place???

    As for BJ, we need elite kicking skills and hardness, which he has not just got.

    Also need to get rid off Benny, Teddy, and dare I say mcveigh??

    A knee injury at his age spell the end, and four round in, with no sight, it time to call it.

    He should not play until he proves himself in the 2s, and then only sparingly.

    All great careers come to end, he should be show the door!
    Yes we really are in a right mess at the moment aren't we?

    BJ and Jarad are both contracted until next year so you'd hope the club would honour those I hope. Your comments re Jarad are pretty disrespectful in my book, FFS give him a chance to come back he's not the first football player to get an injury. He may be struggling to play on past 2017 but I wouldn't write him off.

    I agree with a bit of what you and Luke Shannan say. Xav, Nanka and AA have to be under the microscope and clearly Tom Dx is not up to it at senior AFL level. Alex won't be renewed on the senior list. Ben and Ted will be 32 and 34 respectively at the end of next year and you'd think they'd be struggling for a new contract but if Ted plays like he has the last two weeks all season there'll be a new contract available so I feel one may get an extra season. We may also see Nanka kept on as I think we'd like four ruckman on this list.

    So, for mine we'd be well on track for six out. We don't do culls at the Swans so I'd be saying two rookie upgrades (Papley and Newman or Marsh), three draftees and a KPD free agent if we can find one...

  7. #43
    According to 3aw we and the Brisbane Lions are interested in Jack Steele (GWS) is this a back up for if Mitchell leaves or.. A genuine recruit to start like Kennedy?

  8. #44
    recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Stanmore
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Yes we really are in a right mess at the moment aren't we?

    BJ and Jarad are both contracted until next year so you'd hope the club would honour those I hope. Your comments re Jarad are pretty disrespectful in my book, FFS give him a chance to come back he's not the first football player to get an injury. He may be struggling to play on past 2017 but I wouldn't write him off.

    I agree with a bit of what you and Luke Shannan say. Xav, Nanka and AA have to be under the microscope and clearly Tom Dx is not up to it at senior AFL level. Alex won't be renewed on the senior list. Ben and Ted will be 32 and 34 respectively at the end of next year and you'd think they'd be struggling for a new contract but if Ted plays like he has the last two weeks all season there'll be a new contract available so I feel one may get an extra season. We may also see Nanka kept on as I think we'd like four ruckman on this list.

    So, for mine we'd be well on track for six out. We don't do culls at the Swans so I'd be saying two rookie upgrades (Papley and Newman or Marsh), three draftees and a KPD free agent if we can find one...
    Look being undefeated is good, but have we really played anyone who is a lock for a top four??

    Lets wait and see when we play Hawthorn, the true yardstick of the comp, where we really are.

    Legitimate contenders or a yard or two off the pace.

    We have some holes in out ranks; and having money by retiring older players is one way of getting some awesome trades.

    That and cleaning out players who have had four to five years on the list and aren't part of the best 25
    doof-doof

  9. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Look being undefeated is good, but have we really played anyone who is a lock for a top four??

    Lets wait and see when we play Hawthorn, the true yardstick of the comp, where we really are.

    Legitimate contenders or a yard or two off the pace.

    We have some holes in out ranks; and having money by retiring older players is one way of getting some awesome trades.

    That and cleaning out players who have had four to five years on the list and aren't part of the best 25
    I think we'll have a really good idea after the Crows and Eagles.

    Think we'll see more evolution rather than rebuild, Towers, Robbo and Hewett are testament to us giving players time to develop bit reckon we'll see reasonable turnover at the end of this season after effectively not delisting anyone last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nanka kept on as a list player at minimum wage and for some defenders (Marsh, AA and Xav) it is most definitely a make or break season

  10. #46
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    4,393
    Those at risk on our list have to be Derrickx, Hiscox, Marsh, Johnson (if his knee doesn't come good), Foote and Melican.

    Foote is a pretty solid player but disposal can be an issue, he would be likely to make it at another club. Very hard at it inside mid.

    Hiscox has not shown enough and his disposal is sub-standard for AFL. If he doesn't pick this up by the end of the year he might just find himself delisted, fast or not.

    Derrickx was depth just in case a ruckman got injured and now we have Galloway as a developer, Nankervis, Naismith on a long contract, Tippett and Sinclair. Tom will be delisted.

    Marsh is playing some good footy and he might attract some bidders from other sides.

    Melican has done nothing wrong except get injured. But he might just be a victim of the late start.

    Richards and McGlinn I believe will retire at the end of the season.

    Newman may be moved on but I wouldn't think so yet. Murray, Papley are both in their first year. We have had a good look at Tom Papley and he's a beauty. I believe Murray might just shock a few people too now he is back from his injury. Time for these two.

    X richards needs to develop this year, same with Aliir although I think they always though of Aliir as a long term prospect and he's starting to develop nicely. X still makes the same rookie mistakes he did in his first year like poor decision making or dithering over options. Needs to think quicker.

  11. #47
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    268
    With a list of 44 plus international rookies, we (and other clubs) will have players that they know won't ever make it into the 1s, but add something to the club. E.g., leadership/mentoring for the 2s, providing a strong 2s performance (to help those with real potential get proper development) etc.

    I think Ryan O'Keefe may have been kept on the list in his final year partly to be a hard body in the 2s to protect some of the younger developing players.

    Aliir along with any potential upside as a football player also gives us the benefit of having someone who gives us something very different in the AFL Multicultural Ambassador program which will help grow the game and supporter base for the Swans. E.g., more fans from African backgrounds.

    AJ is providing mentoring/coaching, but also what a great story/promotion he gives us in terms of his personal resilience, and the Swans sticking by him.

    Nankers and Derickx - we need two-three ruckmen for the 2s (to cover injury/depth) so the younger players can develop/learn the game plan in real match conditions (winning half the hit-outs). Plus to cover injury in the 1s. We need Naismith to be injured less and Galloway to develop. Plus it takes a long time to develop a new ruckman.

    As long as the list isn't "carrying" players at the expense of not getting players we would have otherwise drafted/traded for, then really, all we need to do each year is the mandatory list cuts (which include retirements announced in time). I think with Ted and Benny possibly retiring, we would only be looking to delist another three players to give us five picks in the national and pre-season draft before considering any trades?

    I don't think a list cull is required as you will find the same sorts of players we have been talking about on the lists of other top clubs.

  12. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    According to 3aw we and the Brisbane Lions are interested in Jack Steele (GWS) is this a back up for if Mitchell leaves or.. A genuine recruit to start like Kennedy?
    That's a concern. We would only be interested in him if we thought that Mitchell was going to leave.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO