Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Academy Talent for 2016

Was looking up Nick Blakey and found this rant from Eddie which i have not seen before No Cookies | Herald Sun

I think afl will change rules to make sure North get the kids some how with Eddie and Brayshaw using their media profiles to create more animosity towards the academies particularly if its an Sydney GF.

Anyway Nick was on tv last night as the guys were entering the rooms he's a really tall kid anyone have any idea how tall he is? He looked taller than Horse who is about 194

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Was looking up Nick Blakey and found this rant from Eddie which i have not seen before No Cookies | Herald Sun

I think afl will change rules to make sure North get the kids some how with Eddie and Brayshaw using their media profiles to create more animosity towards the academies particularly if its an Sydney GF.

Anyway Nick was on tv last night as the guys were entering the rooms he's a really tall kid anyone have any idea how tall he is? He looked taller than Horse who is about 194
    They can't "make sure" North get anyone. As we saw with Dunkley, the player has a say too. As an Academy player he will be eligible to join the Swans (if he wishes, and he may be obliged to under the Academy rules - my understanding is that if you partake in academy programmes you can't refuse to be nominated, unlike the FS rule which is entirely optional for the player).

If Blakey wants to play for North (and they want him), I would expect the Swans would allow him to nominate for them out of respect for his father and his long tenure at the club. It is entirely possible that he won't want to join a club where his father is on the coaching staff. But it's also entirely possible that he might prefer to stay in Sydney, might be a Swans fan more than a North fan (having grown up in Sydney), and might not be bothered that his father is also at the club.

Interesting article, but it's a year and a half old

He's pretty tall for a 16 year old.

He's still got to grow into his body and he looks kind of gangly and even lazy (which he is not because he runs his guts out) at times. He looks kind of stooped almost like he is embarrassed to be so tall at his age so he'll need to grow out of that.

I saw him play a couple of weeks ago against kids three years older and he was immense. Good game sense, a clunking mark and he can land a goal from 45 metres.

Surely they can't claim he isn't an academy kid as he has been there for years and he does, of course, have the right to choose the club he wants to go to. Doesn't sound much fairer than that.

Agree though that the Academy hysteria will reach boiling point with an all Sydney GF but to be honest I do think that the only major change that will come out will be that they'll take the Murray zone our of GWS and leave them with Riverina for now. There's no way with the parlous state of Queensland footy that they can tamper with the fundamentals too much and also you just hope that the wiser heads at the AFL can see the great work that is being done at grassroots level in Sydney via the Academy.

And of course someone should point of to Knucklehead that we are spending about $2m of our own money this year for no tangible reward

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    In one preseason game, might have been last year, John and Nick Blakey were standing near me and watching the game. If their discussion of the game and players are any indication he is definitely a Swans fan

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    In one preseason game, might have been last year, John and Nick Blakey were standing near me and watching the game. If their discussion of the game and players are any indication he is definitely a Swans fan
    He's got a bit of mongrel in him too, he didn't mind mixing it physically with kids that were clearly older and heavier than him.

In short I like the cut of his jib and you'd think there's no chance of him getting ahead of himself

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345