Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Rnd 3 Match Day Thread Swans V GWS at the SCG 4.35pm.

Last year we played poorly in many games that we won. We got by a few by determination alone. We were lucky to beat an Essendon side that barely trained. The sides we whacked. like PA and GC turned out to have very poor years. There weren't many turnarounds in form last year, except perhaps for Collingwood and Freo on the downside. WB were an early surprise, they beat us at the SCG playing the kind of footy they are playing this year, and continued their good form the rest of the season.

Our early form has taken everyone by surprise, albeit our opening win against Collingwood is looking to be one against a poor side that was jut pumped up by the Melbourne media pundits. The thing to like about the Swans is not so much that we are on top of the table, but that we are moving the ball so well and doing it every quarter. We are not having lapses. And furthermore, we've been doing it with a bevy of inexperience players.

The Swans have been a consistent team over the years and I am taking our early form a good sign for the year. I've definitely changed my outlook base on these 1st 3 games. Of course, we have to go on with it and continue to produce on the field. We have another opportunity this week.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Last weekend had:

- a routine win by the favourite (Sydney) over a mid-table team (GWS)

- a six-goal comeback that turned into a 40 goal shootout decided in the last five seconds and featured a career-best performance by a 412-gamer and one of the best ruck battles in recent years.

- an enthralling contest between the most exciting team in the comp and the established great - a likely grand final preview - that was decided in in the last minute when one of the competitions most loved players went down with a career-ending knee injury.

- the continued implosion of three of the biggest clubs in the land, two of whom were tipped to be strong finalists contention, and one is under huge pressure to be.

It was a great weekend for football, but if I were a journalist, I know which game I wouldn't be writing about.

As for being wrong about us? We're playing well but we were widely tipped to be 5-8 and I don't see much to challenge that yet. Beating weak teams doesn't make us top 4 material. The next two weeks will tell us much more.
    Amazed that someone call say Saturday's win was routine?? Even the normally biased Melbourne papers commented on how the game was full on pressure from start to finish. GWS are a good side and will play in finals this year. They will be top 4 in 2017.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Amazed that someone call say Saturday's win was routine?? Even the normally biased Melbourne papers commented on how the game was full on pressure from start to finish. GWS are a good side and will play in finals this year. They will be top 4 in 2017.
    I agree. I'd be very surprised if the Giants don't make the finals. There wasn't an awful lot in that game and they could just as easily knock us over out at Homebush. Not a routine win by any stretch. This weekend will be a big test. More to worry about than playing the WC dirtbags at home in R5.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    By routine I mean that most people expected us to win by 2-4 goals and we did.

It was by no means easy and it was a good game, but you can't pretend that it had the drama of some of the other matches.

The games the media will write about are when we play other teams we are competing against for a top 4 spot - Hawthorn, Bulldogs and Eagles and even North & Adelaide. (Fox called Swans v Crows the game of the round this week, for example).

I wish I could watch games like that and be thinking "this is pretty routine" lol
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Just watched it again did anyone else see this disrespectful sign (Sydney created not Relocated) in the gws section after Stevie J kicked the goal in the fourth.. For a team that has done jack all in the comp or for football in NSW they are incredibly arrogant
    GWS Sign.jpg

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Just watched it again did anyone else see this disrespectful sign (Sydney created not Relocated) in the gws section after Stevie J kicked the goal in the fourth.. For a team that has done jack all in the comp or for football in NSW they are incredibly arrogant
    GWS Sign.jpg
    Whilst I understand why you may say the sign is arrogant I think it's nothing more than a young team finding ways to be proud about themselves. In some ways if we get uptight about such signs it's not that much different to Melbourne getting antsy about non Victorian clubs doing well. In other words it could be seen as a case of the "established" bemoaning any pride or club advancement of the "non established" clubs.

I realise you're a proud Sydney swans fan and rightly so I'm just not sure that I share the same opinion about their sign. I don't feel like the swans should be to gws what Victoria has for so long to the swans. We should embrace and encourage our cross town rivals as they are good for footy in this state.

With the terrific news that we have passed out 50000 membership milestone stone today many have reflected on the last few years. Someone pointed out that in 2012 when we last won the premiership we had 30000 members. In the 4 years after that we have now 50000. I'm sure most of us are thinking the swans have done really well to get to this. Buddy has definitely attracted more members. I think so too but part of me also thinks that GWS may in fact be part of the reason as well. I suspect that the presence of GWS in the Sydney market has lifted the overall presence of AFL in the mindset of Sydneysiders and probably helped galvanise the support of once casual swans fans to more dedicated swans fans and then membership. That's a terrific effect of having GWS here. I know that in my workplace there is much more discussion about he swans than ever used to be the case and not the same snide remarks about AFL footy from the rugby league crowd that used to be.

I think footy in this state is going in a terrific direction. I notice record junior numbers too at our local club. I think GWS has had a very important role in this development and I expect it to continue.

But I did love seeing us run away with the win in he lay quarter

Veteran Site Admin
    I just smile at things like that. If it makes the Giants feel good about themselves, so be it.

We can counter with "two cities, one club", to show that the Swans are very proud of their South Melbourne heritage, and still boast a substantial supporter base in Melbourne that isn't dying out as the generations move on. I see plenty of young kids in Swans gear at games in Melbourne. Long may it continue, and it in no way diminishes the central role the Swans hold in Sydney and NSW sporting culture.

Little hings like this can help create rivalries.

Take Kevin Sheedy waving his jacket against West Coast for instance - 10 years of rivalry, just for getting a bit too excited lol
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

What is amazing is that in 2012 the AFL had 30,000 members in sydney. Now 4 years later it has 65,000 (swans and giants )

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    What is amazing is that in 2012 the AFL had 30,000 members in sydney. Now 4 years later it has 65,000 (swans and giants )
    Barry I agree with you ( that in itself is a rare occurrence )

GWS presence has definitely helped. The swans are stronger as a result

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213