Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rnd 3 Match Day Thread Swans V GWS at the SCG 4.35pm.

Agree with all of the above neilfws. In particular I thought Tippett played a great game. He did spray one set shot but I wondered if he was distracted at last moment by Hewett running in front of him to man up a Giants defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It was a strange sort of game. I suppose if you just keep sending the ball in long, which usually is not such a bad idea at the SCG, you're going to depend on the ball bouncing your way often enough to outscore the other team. Horse probably thought Buddy and Tippo would out-muscle their smaller defenders and take a heap of marks inside 50, but it didn't quite work out that way. And we were caught napping on the rebound far too often. We didn't utilize the younger guys who were so prominent in the first 2 games. I like it better when we use all our players rather than put the onus on just the senior players and a single main tactic for scoring.
    Yes, I did wonder if GWS had some sort of 'rope a dope' game plan, where they thought that in a hotly contest midfield battle their best chance of attacking was by spreading it to the fat side, from our nullified forward fifty entries. It did seem to work at times in the first half, but in the second half, our running players did a better job of shutting that down and therefore, GWS were being forced to kick it down the line to a contest more often. Which turned the game into more of a hard at it, war of attrition. Which our hard heads like Kennedy, Parker, Jack and Tippett eventually won.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Sounds like one of those that looked a lot different on TV. My impression at the ground was a good arm wrestle for a half, then the stronger classier team came home.
    Great crowd and lots to enjoy. Highlights for me: Tippett's game again. How about that Papley 1-2 to Sinclair then kick to Tippett for the goal. Big goals from Bud.
    Not the prettiest game at times sure but hey, 3-0 and looking pretty good.
    Well, I don't know what it looked like on TV, but watching on my phone, my impression was much the same as yours. A very good, hard fought win.

awesome !!!!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    Commentary by Dunstall, the Pipe and Lynch is abysmal. They are barracking for GWS ????. TV is now muted and now listening to ABC radio. Why do we get this crappy trio so often???
    If you weren't aware of the actual scored you would swear that the Giants were winning by ten goals

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Battle of the Bridge is a horrible name and needs to be changed
    ++1

It is a stupid meaningless name adopted, for unknown reasons, by the media after Sheedy came up with it and foisted on the unreceptive public. I find it really irksome and am surprised the Swans are powerless to do anything about it.

I was thinking just the same as you, Levii.

I'm calling the games Harbour Grudges

Love Papley's smarts, he did at least 3 amazing things today, one didn't come off because of the ump, one early where he kept the ball alive near the goal (didn't help) and the two or three actions when he initiated the successful attack already mentioned. Hard to believe he was playing game 3 and is a rookie.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Just back from the game. I guess not having to listen to the TV commentators is a good incentive to turn up, MMM much better. And I hate the Battle of the Bridge thing, it's an inane description that Peanut Sheedy came up with but I'm afraid we are stuck with it whether we like or not but I'd like it if we never acknowledge that description.

Anyway, it was definitely a game og good quality and intensity. GWS were by far our sternest test of the season to date and will beat some good teams this year and I still think they are a good chance for the 8. Ultimately I think we took our chances better and were a bit more clinical and our experience just got us over the line.
    '
    My thoughts tonight...

* Rampe had a good game down back, he rarely disappoints me these days
    * Mills continues to impress, it is impossible to believe this kid has only played three senior games
    * I must revise my opinion re the McGlynn's importance to our playing group. Like many of us I suspect I've kind of written him off because of his injuries but his grunt and drive were very important for us tonight and my previous opinions he may (a) finish up this season, (b) do so in the twos, suddenly looks pretty foolish
    * Ted Richards was immense tonight and Reg was his usual unflappable self, it he continues his form of the last two weeks for the rest of the year he'll be going nowhere in 2017
    * Callum Sinclair continues to impress and I love his combo with Tippo
    * Buddy was Buddy, if can contribute like that every week he'll win the Coleman and we'll be top 4 at least
    * Robbo did some good things, in particular a piece of play in front of the Ladies where I was which set up a goal (Buddy I think). First time I've seen him do something really classy and he'll need to do that more often to keep his spot.

Not too many negatives. I though Heeney maybe should have held onto a couple of marks he spilt but he battled well. Young George was well held by Shaw tonight, his first real test and he did struggle. Papley was also seemed a little quiet but battled well and did the little things and played his role and took his goal well.

Hard to say who to drop for McVeigh when he comes back next week, really hard to say but I'd lean towards Robbo who would of course be very unlucky

Battle of the bridge was very astute move by the giants to make ANZAC bridge the boundary. Some would argue the swans have played along..

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Battle of the bridge was very astute move by the giants to make ANZAC bridge the boundary. Some would argue the swans have played along..
    But it's not really is it barry? Clearly people in Balmain aren't going to feel affiliated to GWS because of that silly name.

It's a silly moniker thought up by a silly man and promoted by a silly media

I don't think they showed the song wonder if they would have done that had gws won

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    For those that were at the game, how was the reception for Goodes and Pyke? We only got to see 10 seconds of it .
    The reception for Goodes & Pyke was terrific. Pyke had his two little children with him, Goodesy was on his own. (C'mon Adam, we want some Swannies progeny). The roar from each section of the crowd was amazing as they walked past, there were a lot of hand-made signs with tributes to Goodes and I saw plenty of No. 37 t-shirts (thank you KTigers). As they neared the end of their walk the distinctive 'Gooooooodsy' chant went around the ground, at which Mike hung back and insisted Adam walk ahead on his own - well done Mike!

I am sure I wasn't the only one who shed a few tears.

Veterans List
    Great last quarter by Papley. He was in everything like pepper and salt. Won some vital possessions.
    Tippett is going great guns.
    Mitchell's last half was very good. Lifted when needed. As did McGlynn, but boy he is woeful at set shots.
    Kennedy is running into form nicely.
    Doesn't Ted straighten up the backline. They all played well in defence, and I include Jones because he does put on a lot of pressure. Just needs to be a bit smarter with and without the footy.
    Robinson was much better and harder today.
    Once again Cunningham went missing in the tough game. Looked timid in what contests he got to. I have Robinson in front of him now.
    Hewett was quiet, but will be better for the experience.
    The usual midfield was outstanding once again. Hanners must be racking up Brownlow votes.
    We won the centre clearances 8 to 1 in the second half, mainly due to the good work by Tippett.

Another top team effort.

Scully is a very good player but Patton is awfully slow.
    I reckon the umpiring has been pretty good this season.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast