Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 3 Match Day Thread Swans V GWS at the SCG 4.35pm.

Rnd 3 Match Day Thread Swans V GWS at the SCG 4.35pm.

Huge game by Tippett and Sinclair. All week, every footy program on air carried the crushing tackle by Mumford yet these two looked anything but intimidated. They were fierce in contested balls even after Tippett copped a serve in the first quarter. Great effort over the entire match and gives me real confidence in this pairing.

Thought Shiel was outstanding for GWS as was Shaw and we need to acknowledge that we were in a genuine contest last night. The fact that some of our younger players were down slightly in no way undermines their continued improvement.

Hewitt will be a better player for having watched how Shaw was able to work off him and generate space and drive. Mills learned a lesson from Palmer in the NAB game and came out and played his best match so far, Papley got the worst of the umpiring but continued to press and made a difference. Robinson was outstanding on Whitfield clearly taking the points, not bad for a kid from Mosman Swans against a first round draft pick. While Lloyd held Scully a million dollar recruit well throughout the night.

Meanwhile, Heeney looked to be carrying a injury late in the game, his pace is definitely down and he looked in pain possibly from acting as a mattress for Parker.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    On the back of one of their best wins last week and with a local derby I reckon there would have been fewer than 1,000 genuine GWS fans there tonight.

And it correlates to the story in the paper today that said that of their 13,840 members last year 36% actually support another club. So, they have about 8,850 members that are actually fans and I reckon you could strip 3,000 out of that number for their Canberra members which is where I actually think they'll end up anyway. That's 5,850 in Sydney and I suspect that includes a few 3 game memberships and the like. Overall they are lucky to have a rusted on supporter base of 3,000.

And before any peanut comes on here and says "it's not so long ago we were getting 3,000 people to watch the Swans", even when we were the worst team in any code in Australia we still had average crowds overs 9,000.
    GWS aren't getting 3000 people to a game, though- when the Swans were getting 9000 people to a game there was a fair chunk of them that would probably have identified the Swans as their second team, as well (and I'd say there's still a few members who might feel that way). I have pretty clear memories of going to Swans games in the 80s and 90s and there was probably a 50/50 split of folks wearing Swans jumpers vs. folks wearing some other club's jumper.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Tippett the form ruckman in the competition at the moment?

I was really impressed with Papley again, he showed great maturity to keep his head in the game and just keep plugging away- I already had confidence when he went back for his set shot that it was a goal.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It was a strange sort of game. I suppose if you just keep sending the ball in long, which usually is not such a bad idea at the SCG, you're going to depend on the ball bouncing your way often enough to outscore the other team. Horse probably thought Buddy and Tippo would out-muscle their smaller defenders and take a heap of marks inside 50, but it didn't quite work out that way. And we were caught napping on the rebound far too often. We didn't utilize the younger guys who were so prominent in the first 2 games. I like it better when we use all our players rather than put the onus on just the senior players and a single main tactic for scoring.
    My thoughts exactly. Our forwards were making a good contest, but where were the small players to win it when it went to ground? Particularly in the first quarter it seemed like everyone was jumping for the ball and when it went out the back a couple of times, there was no-one to take advantage.

It wasn't the most entertaining game to watch until the fourth quarter, but that quarter left me feeling pretty happy.

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    I apologise. I very bad night for me. Sorry.
    Don't feel bad. At half time I was thinking that it wouldn't surprise me if we lost it. I was at the showground that fateful day and just had the feeling that if GWS could stop throwing the ball away like they did in the first quarter and step up a bit, they would blow us away.

Fortunately is was us who lifted the pressure on the ball carrier and improved our ball movement and left them behind. It was a good tough contest. It will be interesting to see where GWS finish this year. Everyone seems to think they're a good chance to play finals, but it 's hard for me to see it.

Battle of the bridge is the name used by foxtel, 7, and both sydney papers.

Gws are safe. There is more money spent propping up vic teams than sydney teams and youd think there is far more strategic value in GWS than the demons.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Huge game by Tippett and Sinclair. All week, every footy program on air carried the crushing tackle by Mumford yet these two looked anything but intimidated. They were fierce in contested balls even after Tippett copped a serve in the first quarter. Great effort over the entire match and gives me real confidence in this pairing.

Thought Shiel was outstanding for GWS as was Shaw and we need to acknowledge that we were in a genuine contest last night. The fact that some of our younger players were down slightly in no way undermines their continued improvement.

Hewitt will be a better player for having watched how Shaw was able to work off him and generate space and drive. Mills learned a lesson from Palmer in the NAB game and came out and played his best match so far, Papley got the worst of the umpiring but continued to press and made a difference. Robinson was outstanding on Whitfield clearly taking the points, not bad for a kid from Mosman Swans against a first round draft pick. While Lloyd held Scully a million dollar recruit well throughout the night.

Meanwhile, Heeney looked to be carrying a injury late in the game, his pace is definitely down and he looked in pain possibly from acting as a mattress for Parker.
    Just to emphasize your point, Whitfield was actually a number one pick in 2012 and Scully was a number one for the Demons, back in 2009. I don't think either of them has really set the competition on fire. While the other number one pick wandering around last night, Patton, only still seems to play the occasional eye-catching cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    And the area GWS are meant to be cultivating they are woefully neglecting on a grassroots level, ask Campbelltown Football Club how they have benefitted from GWS's entry into our market and how they view the GWS sponsorship of Manly AFC (of all clubs)

They are a bunch of clowns
    GWS sponsoring Manly!? Ahhh, I think that is the sort of administrative decision that comes under the category of modern surrealist performance art.

One thing I learned after watching this game on TV, these 2 teams need clash jumpers. The orange and bright red look too similar in long shots on the telly.

For games at GWS, if we go our all white uniform with the red V should be fine.

For games at the SCG, Giants need to come up with something otherwise I wouldn't mind if went the all white uniform there too, I like that outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Battle of the bridge is the name used by foxtel
    Foxtel were calling it Sydney Derby 1X actually.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post

For those that were at the game, how was the reception for Goodes and Pyke? We only got to see 10 seconds of it ??????.
    It was lovely Mel the kids playing Auskick on the ground, and Goodsey and Pyke with his kids (keep that child, he walked the whole distance on his own), both with huge grins on their faces, soaking it all in. Even the GWS end were cheering, it went in waves as they passed each 'point'. took their time, absorbed it all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    One thing I learned after watching this game on TV, these 2 teams need clash jumpers. The orange and bright red look too similar in long shots on the telly.
    I agree with you 100% Johnno. Even at the ground it was touchy, and I watch most of it through binoculars!

One thing I'd like to make a point of, where was the GWS cheer squad? there didn't seem to be a solid block of Orange Men anywhere. Just scattered.

Cannot agree about Jones - he's a favourite of mine so I tend to watch out for him. He does a lot of 'annoying' stuff off the ball, and he concentrates hard, ready to pounce. He is learning on the job, and he is ok. A bit like Paul Chapman, a fiesty sod, but he is tempering his natural instincts to blow up in the backyard. He will be fine. But different.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

In the meantime, what the hell is the matter with Stevie J? I know he is a bit of an arse, but.... the boys handled him well, they were laughing at him, which I suppose is why he got so distracted
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post

For games at GWS, if we go our all white uniform with the red V should be fine.

For games at the SCG, Giants need to come up with something otherwise I wouldn't mind if went the all white uniform there too, I like that outfit.
    Both sides have a predominantly white clash strip. The Swans seem to be prepared to change into theirs when we visit the Giants' home ground but the Giants seem intent on sticking with their orange. I would much prefer one side wears its white when they play against each other.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast