Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Other Teams and Games

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    On the other hand, I have been able to watch the Swans play for free using the app from the betting sponsor without having to sign up for either pay $25 a month for a Foxtel upgrade (not possible anyway as I am on a basic bundle provided by Telstra) nor pay for AFL membership at $5 a week, $15 a month or $90 a season. Would not have been possible without the sponsorship by the betting company.
    True, but is your benefit worth it to the rest who don't derive the same value; or to the 10, 11, 12+ year old kid who clicks on that video and sees it as normal? Your saving is no justification for what is plainly wrong.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Senior Player
    I'm just saying I got a benefit out of it. I am not claiming it is right or wrong. I don't want to get into an argument about what is right or wrong, but in my view, I think it is up to parents to tell their kids about gambling. They will see ads about alcohol, violence in movies, scantily clad persons when doing innocent web searches etc.

The AFL of today, is first and foremost a business. They will talk about corporate responsibilities, sustainability, etc., but the first and foremost objective is profit.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    ... The AFL of today, is first and foremost a business. They will talk about corporate responsibilities, sustainability, etc., but the first and foremost objective is profit.
    And insofar as that's true, that's exactly the problem. Their priority should be the quality of the game: if that's right, any other considerations should fall into place.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the other hand, I have been able to watch the Swans play for free using the app....
    Agree, very handy to be able to watch any game live whilst out and about. Particularly handy when you want to watch the twilight game while commuting to a night game...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    And insofar as that's true, that's exactly the problem. Their priority should be the quality of the game: if that's right, any other considerations should fall into place.
    They are a massive business, so they will have lots of things contributing to that overall profit goal - providing a mostly even competition, keeping the game clean of drugs and thuggery on the field (e.g., the changes to the MRP and penalties in the last decade to offset parents not wanting their kids being involved in a game with lots of biffo and head hits), growing particular markets, game day experience, media/promotion etc.

Ultimately, their board has made a decision that the financial benefits from the gambling association outweighs the loss or dissatisfaction of fans who disagree with gambling.

I have three kids who watch the footy on TV with me, and I make a point of reminding them every now and then that gambling is high risk as the odds are stacked in favour of the house. My father was a gambling addict (horses at the TAB) and that really impacted my family when I was growing up, e.g., having a debt collector (not from gambling, but from business bills not paid due to gambling) come around when my parents weren't home and telling me my parents were going to go to jail, having to move house constantly as my parents had to keep moving to get a fresh start etc. I don't morally support the AFL being so in bed with the gambling side of things at all. I just accept that it isn't going to go away and will take advantage of the betting app providing the free broadcasts.

Someone posted the availability of the free broadcasts on the OzBargain website last week, so they will have thousands of new non-betters watching the games through their app now, so I don't know if it will continue next season, though I am sure some of those from the OzBargain website might be suckered into gambling through watching the games on their gambling app!

I enjoy a punt, but the advertising we see now is way over the top. Even annoying really. If you want to punt you most likely have an app to check the odds. Speaking of which, $3 about the Demons was ridiculous overs to beat the pies, snapped that up gladly.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    My dad had a saying he trotted out from time to time: Never back a horse my son - it might win.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    I'm just saying I got a benefit out of it. I am not claiming it is right or wrong. I don't want to get into an argument about what is right or wrong, but in my view, I think it is up to parents to tell their kids about gambling. They will see ads about alcohol, violence in movies, scantily clad persons when doing innocent web searches etc.

The AFL of today, is first and foremost a business. They will talk about corporate responsibilities, sustainability, etc., but the first and foremost objective is profit.
    No argument intended, and welcome to our forum Maltopia. I'm really pleased to see a new member get straight into it.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Just flew into Sydney and am keen to watch the hawks crowd game, anywhere near Bondi that would be showing it ??

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Really feel for Crows fans- imagine losing a great game because of a push in the back?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Really feel for Crows fans- imagine losing a great game because of a push in the back?
    Sarcasm at its best Stellation.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Pretty sickening to see a close game go hawthorns way, for the third week in a row, with some fairly pathetic umpiring decisions involved.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast