Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Other Teams and Games

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    No Doz?
    LOL! But there are some games where you might be tempted.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    LOL! But there are some games where you might be tempted.
    When Serena Williams was playing badly one time at the Hopman Cup she called for a double espresso - and then went on to win.

H'mmm I think the demise of Hawthorn might have been greatly exaggerated. No Roughead, no Hodge, no Mitchell and ran riot in last quarter. Partly Richmond fading but also a lot of familiar signs from Hawthorn.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Has anyone seen the Dogs Crows game? Was there alot of bad calls was the lopsided free kick count justified?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I was going for the dogs, and the free kicks seemed to be in their favor unfairly.
    Don't know what the stats were
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I was going for the dogs, and the free kicks seemed to be in their favor unfairly.
    Don't know what the stats were
    28-12 in the end. it was 20 - 5 at 3/4 time from the article I read.

"Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    28-12 in the end. it was 20 - 5 at 3/4 time from the article I read.

The team second to the ball tends to give away a lot of free kicks. It doesn't mean the free kicks aren't warranted.

In Adelaide's case they would seem not to have made their defensive pressure effective enough to overcome that disadvantage. (I didn't watch the match so I am just making an assumption. However Josh Jenkins who starred for the Crows with eight goals was quoted as saying something along these lines.)

Remember the count was 21 - 10 in Hawthorn's favour in the 2012 grand final. However in that match the Swans' defensive pressure was so fanatical that the benefit outweighed the risk of the free kicks.

I only saw the last quarter.
    Some decisions seemed unfair on the crows, but taht happens.

As I've said before, more often than not, teams that end up on the wrong side of the free kick count have infringed more than the opposition.
    I'd say teams like Hawthorn are trained in the subtleties of how to generate a free without seeming obvious.

Then there are players like Betts who happily pushes his opponent out of the way (clear free) most times and generally isn't pinned. There are favorites for sure.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Other Teams and Games

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I only saw the last quarter.Then there are players like Betts who happily pushes his opponent out of the way (clear free) most times and generally isn't pinned. There are favorites for sure.
    That's what I'm laughing about reading all these Crows' complaints re yesterday's umpiring. Not a peep from them about the hilariously blatant double-handed push in the back of Nick Smith, not penalised, that allowed Betts to kick the winning goal in our match in Adelaide a few weeks ago. (The subsequent final Betts' goal was a junk goal when we flooded everyone into the forward line in the last 30 seconds in a roll-the-dice effort to get back the goal.)

I don't blame that umpiring non-decision for our loss - we could have been three to four goals up but for some silly errors through the course of the match. But Crows' fans could do with a good dose of objectivity.

Just watched last 15 minutes of the Saints v Nth Melbourne. Saints came so close to pulling off a remarkable win. Margin at end was 7 points with last goal kicked after the siren with the North player holding on to the ball watching the countdown clock before he took his kick. (H'mmm not sure about the countdown clock providing that tactical advantage.) So sad, would have loved to see St Kilda win (not to mention some self-interest for the Swans if North had lost).

Veterans List
    Does the SCG show the 30 second count down clock on the screen when a player is having a shot? It is shown at the MCG and Etihad.

I didn't like the way the North player just stood there waiting for the clock to count down. I know it isn't against the rules but it just didn't look good. Brad Scott said that they trained for this situation.

It may not look good waiting for the clock to count down but it was very professional and smart play so I have no issues with it. If the Swans (and every other side) were in that situation I would expect that they would do the same thing. Until they have a rule change we have to put up with it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast