Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Teams and Games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Other Teams and Games

I often want to make a comment about a non-Swans game or team, but don't want to start a new thread. Perhaps we could just have this one rolling along from week to week.

For those who didn't get a chance to see the WB v Hawthorn game and have access to a replay, I would definitely watch it. It was a game more than worthy of a grand final.

Hawthorn won the game in the end, but the Bulldogs were probably the better side on the day. They are such an exciting side to watch. They are just fanatical at moving the ball as quickly as possible. They're not afraid to kick backwards and transfer play to the other side. Everything is done at a relentless tempo. I wonder how they're able to play a whole game without killing themselves with exhaustion. They're not afraid to knock the ball into space and back themselves to win the ground ball, and beat Hawthorn 161-132 in contested possessions, usually a margin sufficient for a significant victory.

If I were a coach I would be very concerned how to play against the Bulldogs. Hawthorn managed to get by with their precise kicking and excellent organisation across the ground, and some critical marks and goal kicking from James Sicily. Sadly, it seems that Bob Murphy has done his ACL. You'd think he would give LARS a go given his age.

I wonder how we will handle the pace of play when we come up against them later in the season.

I'm really sad for Bob Murphy. He's a class act and it would be a sad way for him to finish his career.

Senior Player
    And it happened in the final minute of the game. Bruest was playing the man not the ball but the umpire seemed ok with it. A real shame. Great player. Fine man.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Veteran Site Admin
    We have a whole forum dedicated to other clubs / games. This thread is now in it.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Regret and respect for Bob Murphy. We will long remember his support for Adam, and I hope we see him back on the field before he retires.

The Bulldogs look like a seriously good outfit.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    While not team nor game related, this shift in the AFL's online content is beyond acceptable: Why the Pies lose again - AFL.com.au. It speaks for itself.

What the @@@@ is this and how do we stop it, like, right now?!
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    While not team nor game related, this shift in the AFL's online content is beyond acceptable: Why the Pies lose again - AFL.com.au. It speaks for itself.

What the @@@@ is this and how do we stop it, like, right now?!
    Danzar, I watched the Carey/Brown discussion, the former picking Melbourne, the latter Collingwood, and it seemed that (1) the headline was biased, unlike the discussion, and (2) some of us might be offended if it was said about the Swans. Is this what you were picking up or have I missed something?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Other Teams and Games

I assumed Dan was referring to the wall-to-wall spruiking of betting (sponsored by Centrebet). I found the video offensive and unappealing to watch for that reason.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I assumed Dan was referring to the wall-to-wall spruiking of betting (sponsored by Centrebet). I found the video offensive and unappealing to watch for that reason.
    Now that makes sense. I tend to mentally block it out. When I do become aware of it I am annoyed - a complete mug's game - and while some punters make money from it (and more power to your arm) for too many it is an utter disaster, and I think the AFL shouldn't have climbed into bed with the betting bosses in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think the AFL shouldn't have climbed into bed with the betting bosses in the first place.
    +1

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Spot on. Incredibly stupid and dangerous move by the AFL.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Senior Player
    On the other hand, I have been able to watch the Swans play for free using the app from the betting sponsor without having to sign up for either pay $25 a month for a Foxtel upgrade (not possible anyway as I am on a basic bundle provided by Telstra) nor pay for AFL membership at $5 a week, $15 a month or $90 a season. Would not have been possible without the sponsorship by the betting company.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast