Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A tale of 2 Clubs and the future of AFL in Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post

You also make a statement that ECE still pay players? I was unaware that this was a crime and I'm not convinced that this is relevant to your post? But since you are comparing ECE to St.George (I'm not) then I can absolutely guarantee you that the Saints also pay some players. I don't have an issue with it and they have done a great job recruiting players to strengthen their list. Plenty of clubs pay their players although UTS probably get paid by their players so they can be part of the great culture that Luke Shannon continues to point out.
    Hi Tim, as VP at St. George I need to correct you on your comment about the Saints paying players. We definitely do not pay any players.

We don't believe it suits the culture that we want to achieve and we like to operate in the black.

But whatever your source of information is it is 100% incorrect about player payment at St. George.

Postie, My old man would of been your coach then.

Been awhile since I've had a read of RWO but still the usual clubs like ECE are copping it.On topic and this is coming from an Ex Saints player/coach, I don't think you can compare the records of ECE & Saints, Saints haven't won a senior comp since 93 while ECE totally dominated the comp until they went to NEAFL.

Things go in cycles, I started at Saints in 89 and Campbelltown were dominant along with Norths, then came Sydney Uni in the early 90's, Wests mid 90's, Balmain & CTown late 90's. Norths, Penno & ECE all shared the spoils in the 2000's.

It's great that Saints have got those extra two teams but I hope it's sustainable and they can win the one that counts, 1st grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    No, I was too busy wiping his Belt Grip and Vaseline collection (smeared on his guernsey) across his face.
    Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    Luke - realise you are new to the forum but can @@@@ off with your continual referencing back the Bats being the best footy club on the planet. Why not start your own thread entitled that and wait for responses.

If I was moving from Adelaide to Sydney the Bats would be my first choice as a club. But from a Sydney view you have no heart / culture because your full list of 150 players turns over every 5 years. Your club is like that good looking girl you drunkenly hooked up with on holidays...... fun for the night but was never going anywhere.

Back to the topic that started this thread the growth in Sydney local clubs this year, particularly St George but not East Coast. The future for Sydney AFL clubs looks like a minimum of 4 teams. What is the top end numbers of teams a club can support - 6, 7 or 8 teams?
    Perfect description and brilliant analogy!

... and Luke Shannon's comments and lack of comprehension of the Sydney AFL culture outside of their insulated Eastern Suburbs "cave", only go to confirm the general opinion that UTS are primarily made up of a bunch of pretentious, blow-in prigs.

His assertion that the Bats are a revelation to the SAFL as the "Yuppie party club" also shows a lack of knowledge. They are nothing new to the Sydney scene, simply filling the void left by Balmain's demise ... a similar culture that was built upon unsustainable lines, but at least they attracted expats who could play as well as they could party.

In saying all of that, "the pseudo students" have their place in the eclectic landscape that makes up SAFL, even if it is bolstering the lower grade comps with numbers.

I hope they are still around and thriving in 10 years time ... and by that time, everyone of them has finally graduated with honors!

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    Hi Tim, as VP at St. George I need to correct you on your comment about the Saints paying players. We definitely do not pay any players.

We don't believe it suits the culture that we want to achieve and we like to operate in the black.

But whatever your source of information is it is 100% incorrect about player payment at St. George.
    Yes, I for one am very interested to hear more "facts" on this one ... I hoping that Tim will be "naming names" and disclosing some well hidden figures from the Dragons financial reports!

... and these players must be on good $'s too, knowing what ECE's were offering to any player in Sydney who could execute a drop punt, when they were entering the NEAFL!

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Perfect description and brilliant analogy!

... and Luke Shannon's comments and lack of comprehension of the Sydney AFL culture outside of their insulated Eastern Suburbs "cave", only go to confirm the general opinion that UTS are primarily made up of a bunch of pretentious, blow-in prigs.

His assertion that the Bats are a revelation to the SAFL as the "Yuppie party club" also shows a lack of knowledge. They are nothing new to the Sydney scene, simply filling the void left by Balmain's demise ... a similar culture that was built upon unsustainable lines, but at least they attracted expats who could play as well as they could party.

In saying all of that, "the pseudo students" have their place in the eclectic landscape that makes up SAFL, even if it is bolstering the lower grade comps with numbers.

I hope they are still around and thriving in 10 years time ... and by that time, everyone of them has finally graduated with honors!
    Wow. I'm assuming your default attitude is:

- Any Sydney AFL player that did not come up through the junior Sydney AFL system is a "pretentious blow in prig".

- Any person who lives in the Eastern Suburbs is a pretentious "yuppie".

- Any white collar professional who works in the CBD must be a wanker.

I'm dissapointed that in 2016 people can have such a hard line attitude to a section of the community.

I understand that strong Sydney AFL suburban clubs have an extensive feeder network of juniors that bolsters them. Clubs such as St George, ECE, North Shore, Pennant Hills, Manly and the University of NSW / East Sydney are very much built on the junior network.

The Bats can't build on a junior network. The Easten Suburbs have great numbers at Auskick level. Junior Eastern Suburbs clubs such as Easts, Moore Park Tigers and the Maroubra Saints have very strong Auskick programs. The problem is that once these kids get older they attend private schools who encourage them to play Rugby and force them to play Saturday sport. This decimates football from the U9s and up.

The Bats have attempted to start an U18 team but the AFL have told them that in doing so we would only hurt the junior networks of other clubs such as Easts or Sydney Uni.

Sydney Uni are are in a nice position as they are fed by strong junior clubs such as the Glebe Greyhounds, Newtown Swans, Concord, and Drummoyne.

Without being fed by juniors the Bats rely on Expats from Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth and Ireland, students from UTS and some people from from the East who want to play AFL and want to reunite with the game after doing their time in private schools.

I think the fact that the Bats numbers have always been high demonstrates that we are doing something right. We are engaging people in the game who live in our area.

The Bats from 2001- 2002 were beaten regularly at senior level. In there first three seasons there 3rd grade team still secured two premierships. In 2003 we had Roger Moten come on as senior coach who lifted the onfield standards across the club. We became very competive at senior level and dominated the Sydney AFL amateur division along with Manly, Sydney Uni and to a lesser extend the Southern Sharks.

We then turned our ambition to the premier division and the Bats committee worked tirelessly to find a premier league venue as Trumper was deemed not to have the appropriate size.

The committee worked really hard for two years to secure Waverley Oval as a venue. Having done that we now have a premier division team.

We now have Nick Fosdike as senior coach who is building a stronger premier division outfit. Hopefully the Bats can have a finals run at premier division level.

When it comes to the Bats being "party boys" I don't think we are any different to any other clubs. What is the point of playing amateur sport if not accompanied by a strong social scene. All clubs have there sponsored social pubs and enjoy each other's company. The difference with the Bats is that there social pub is located in close proximity to the desired Sydney party zones of Paddington, Bondi and Kings Cross. I'm sure there are groups of players from suburban clubs who used to get together and jump on a train to party their Saturday night in Kings Cross. The Bats could jump in a 10 minute cab to Kings Cross.

Who should guys who play amateur sport not party hard. All clubs party!

Apologies for taking up people's time. I love my Bats and feel that the Sydney AFL landscape is dismissive of us in many ways. We have come along way and only want to keep improving.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post

More than happy to stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post

The Bats have attempted to start an U18 team but the AFL have told them that in doing so we would only hurt the junior networks of other clubs such as Easts or Sydney Uni.
    If only this logic was applied across the board......then Penrith would have a 19s this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    That would have been a few years ago, possibly under GB who considered all aspects of all competitions before making a decision.

It's changed now (And it's Under 19's, BTW). The league isn't interested in junior networks being "hurt" and doesn't scrutinise numbers when allowing new teams to enter comps.

And yes, I'm getting bored with the self-promotion of the Bats. They are obviously the best sporting club in the world. That's great.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    It's changed now (And it's Under 19's, BTW). The league isn't interested in junior networks being "hurt" and doesn't scrutinise numbers when allowing new teams to enter comps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    If only this logic was applied across the board......then Penrith would have a 19s this year.
    Yes it is U/19s, but no it hasn't changed. Same case at Randwick - can't have an U/19s as it would apparently impact UNSW numbers.

I don't know who Luke Shannon is - definitely not his real name, and his involvement in the Bats is questionable at best. Though really highlights how quick you all are to jump on the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    More than happy to stand corrected.
    The paying of players is an interesting and somewhat controversial topic within Sydney AFL and many other leagues. We don't pay players but we don't pass judgement on clubs that do, as long as they can afford it.

The ultimate test would be if a club got a once off gift of say $500k how would they spend it?
    Many I expect would use a big chunk to buy a Prem Div title. But our attitude is what's the point of that? Premierships are soon forgotten and nothing lasting has been created.
    If we got $500k I could guarantee that we would spend it on facilities and equipment, coaching and development, club promotion, and investing it so we got a regular revenue stream to cover as many annual operating costs as possible.
    What would other clubs do with it?

[QUOTE=ZaccyJ;693109]Yes it is U/19s, but no it hasn't changed. Same case at Randwick - can't have an U/19s as it would apparently impact UNSW numbers.

QUOTE]

If that was correct, and I was with Randwick and we had enough players to for a 19's team, I would be storming the Bastille.

Uni NSW only have one team, and it's in the top division.

There are no Eastern Suburbs teams in Div 2. Zilch.....Zero...None !

Want a game for your Under 19's, then head South to St George or Moorebank, or over the bridge to Gore Hill. All have Div 2 teams.

And you are saying that the league only wants to restrict the Eastern Suburbs to one team...and only in Division One ???

Just ring them and say that Randwick have a team of U19's ready to go. You will be included in this Saturday's draw.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast