Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 3 - April 16-17

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    The smallest bloke on the field had both his arms pinned from behind and was slung into the ground - mind you he had disposed of the ball about three or four seconds earlier and the contest had moved five metres away if not more. Sometimes accidents happen and especially at the lower level where blokes don't have the speed or awareness of the more talented players, but this was completely unnecessary. I'm sure he didn't mean to break his arm but it was a deliberate act intended to hurt a bloke probably 30kg lighter than him.
    That is being kind.

Seems to happen regularly in lower grades, especially when players whose heyday was 10 years and 25 kilos ago are playing against smaller quicker youngsters ... though their "awareness" and accuracy seems ok, just their speed to the contest and timing is out ... it's why a lot of clubs are loath to play their fringe u/19's in these grades ... a real shame, because most of these guys have a lot to offer in the onfield development of young and inexperienced players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    The smallest bloke on the field had both his arms pinned from behind and was slung into the ground - mind you he had disposed of the ball about three or four seconds earlier and the contest had moved five metres away if not more. Sometimes accidents happen and especially at the lower level where blokes don't have the speed or awareness of the more talented players, but this was completely unnecessary. I'm sure he didn't mean to break his arm but it was a deliberate act intended to hurt a bloke probably 30kg lighter than him.
    Does that mean that the little guys should expect that they will be protected a bit from the rough and tumble ?
    Should the big fellas have to go easy on the little in-and-under goal sneak type ?

It seems to me that you go on the field and you take your chances. But there are rules in the game that make it illegal to engage in unduly rough play.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Does that mean that the little guys should expect that they will be protected a bit from the rough and tumble ?
    Should the big fellas have to go easy on the little in-and-under goal sneak type ?

It seems to me that you go on the field and you take your chances. But there are rules in the game that make it illegal to engage in unduly rough play.
    Unfortunately there is a club umpire running around whose incompetence risks turning the games he's involved in into all out mayhem. If UTS had the same bloke who umpired UTS v StGeorge div 4 a week prior you could hit a bloke 30 seconds later and got away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Unfortunately there is a club umpire running around whose incompetence risks turning the games he's involved in into all out mayhem. If UTS had the same bloke who umpired UTS v StGeorge div 4 a week prior you could hit a bloke 30 seconds later and got away with it.
    Were you around for that? I thought he was going to hit me when the ball went out on the full and he told me to throw it in. The UTS players were yelling at him that it went out on the full and for me to just kick it. I asked him why would they lie about it and he literally got 5cm away in my face screaming at me.

Was an interesting game. Club umprires will always be contentious I guess but have felt the other 2 we have had were just as good as anything I had in div 1. Let the game flow well which is what we are all there for.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Were you around for that? I thought he was going to hit me when the ball went out on the full and he told me to throw it in. The UTS players were yelling at him that it went out on the full and for me to just kick it. I asked him why would they lie about it and he literally got 5cm away in my face screaming at me.

Was an interesting game. Club umprires will always be contentious I guess but have felt the other 2 we have had were just as good as anything I had in div 1. Let the game flow well which is what we are all there for.
    Yes i was there. He is a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    I thought he was going to hit me when the ball went out on the full and he told me to throw it in. The UTS players were yelling at him that it went out on the full and for me to just kick it. I asked him why would they lie about it and he literally got 5cm away in my face screaming at me.
    Home game saviour. Best if you provide boundary umpires to make the call. I know it's not compulsory, but worthwhile.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    Home game saviour. Best if you provide boundary umpires to make the call. I know it's not compulsory, but worthwhile.
    UTS should ensure their club umpires are competent and are up to date with the the bylaws applicable. He told st george that they had to throw the ball in all day cause they didnt supply boundaries. Div 4 has no requirement for boundary umps as you know mate. Just cause he was too lazy to move more than 5 ft a quarter doesnt give him the right to be an arrogant arsehole. Im a bit biased here but he did untold damage to our under 19 program last year in just one game of disgraceful umpiring.

There certainly are crook ones around, but generally I've found most clubbies to be pretty decent, even some that give contentious calls against their own club. But I think you would agree that many club umpires are better than some of the appointed ones.

The best clubbies seem to be injured players they actually know whats going on the old bloke that does it as a favour for his club can get on the power trip and totally stuff the game. This works well up to the finals when lower divs get "REAL" umpires. Case in point SWS & UNSW div 4 on Sat 2 injured players umpired laid the law down before the game & followed through with it no backchat no late hits sorry, 1 he got a little rest. Best game of lower div I have seen in a while every bloke came off that park stuffed. The umpires even had the confidence to call stuff happening from 50 m away when the other ump was unsighted. Both of these blokes done well very well. Actually had the right attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    UTS should ensure their club umpires are competent and are up to date with the the bylaws applicable. He told st george that they had to throw the ball in all day cause they didnt supply boundaries. Div 4 has no requirement for boundary umps as you know mate. Just cause he was too lazy to move more than 5 ft a quarter doesnt give him the right to be an arrogant arsehole. Im a bit biased here but he did untold damage to our under 19 program last year in just one game of disgraceful umpiring.
    If you didn't supply a boundary umpire you throw the ball in. Its pretty standard.
    Last edited by Hamstrings77; 19th April 2016 at 09:00 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamstrings77 View Post
    If you didn't supply a boundary umpire you throw the ball in. Its pretty standard.
    Not what the by laws say in the lower divisions.

I have no idea what the by laws say, but round 1 at Manly their ump said that if there is no boundaries then they will just ball it up which I thought was fair enough.

I get "no boundaries home side throws it in", it was more the fact it went out by 3m on the full and everyone within 100m saw it, but because we didn't have a boundary the ump resfused to call it, despite all his own club telling him off because it was clearly out on the full.

There were a few other instances such as screaming at players for being too close to the guy after taking a mark when they were clearly 10m+ away. But what ever.

Just looked up the by laws

9.56 Where official goal and boundary umpires have not been appointed by the League, each
    competing club must be prepared to provide a suitable goal umpire, whilst the home club is to
    supply the boundary umpires to officiate (excluding Men�s Divisions Three, Four and Five,
    Women�s Division One and Under 19�s Division Two). If no club boundary umpires are provided
    in these competitions, the field umpire will have a ball up 10 metres from the boundary line
    where the ball left the field of play. Club goal umpires must be equipped with two white flags
    and attired in a club shirt or white coat and club boundary umpires must be attired in white shirt,
    club shorts, runners or football boots and equipped with a suitable whistle. Should boundary
    umpires not be supplied it is the home teams responsibility to throw the ball back into play on all
    occasions.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast