Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 3 - April 16-17

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    I have no idea what the by laws say, but round 1 at Manly their ump said that if there is no boundaries then they will just ball it up which I thought was fair enough.

I get "no boundaries home side throws it in", it was more the fact it went out by 3m on the full and everyone within 100m saw it, but because we didn't have a boundary the ump resfused to call it, despite all his own club telling him off because it was clearly out on the full.

There were a few other instances such as screaming at players for being too close to the guy after taking a mark when they were clearly 10m+ away. But what ever.

Just looked up the by laws

9.56 Where official goal and boundary umpires have not been appointed by the League, each
    competing club must be prepared to provide a suitable goal umpire, whilst the home club is to
    supply the boundary umpires to officiate (excluding Men�s Divisions Three, Four and Five,
    Women�s Division One and Under 19�s Division Two). If no club boundary umpires are provided
    in these competitions, the field umpire will have a ball up 10 metres from the boundary line
    where the ball left the field of play. Club goal umpires must be equipped with two white flags
    and attired in a club shirt or white coat and club boundary umpires must be attired in white shirt,
    club shorts, runners or football boots and equipped with a suitable whistle. Should boundary
    umpires not be supplied it is the home teams responsibility to throw the ball back into play on all
    occasions.
    I think it's extremely dissapointing that St George did not provide a boundary umpire for the 4th division clash against the Bats.

According to the match report I read there were games on before and after the 4th division clash at Olds park. Was it impossible for a player who was playing later in the day or who had played earlier not to help out on the boundary for a quarter or a half?

By not providing a boundary umpire on your home ground while other grades were playing shows that your 4th division team is a low priority at your club. It was a hot day and you as a club were happy to see lumbering old players in many cases have the added duty of throwing the ball in.

I'm sure players in your division one and premier division side were happy to hang up on that elevated hill, in their tight polo shirts, schmoozing the crowd while their division four mates suffered in the heat.

It comes down to "culture" and it was lacking at Olds Park for that 4th division clash. In a tight two goal game it could have made a difference to the result due to the extra energy needed to throw the ball in and the impact on set ups.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    I think it's extremely dissapointing that St George did not provide a boundary umpire for the 4th division clash against the Bats.

According to the match report I read there were games on before and after the 4th division clash at Olds park. Was it impossible for a player who was playing later in the day or who had played earlier not to help out on the boundary for a quarter or a half?

By not providing a boundary umpire on your home ground while other grades were playing shows that your 4th division team is a low priority at your club. It was a hot day and you as a club were happy to see lumbering old players in many cases have the added duty of throwing the ball in.

I'm sure players in your division one and premier division side were happy to hang up on that elevated hill, in their tight polo shirts, schmoozing the crowd while their division four mates suffered in the heat.

It comes down to "culture" and it was lacking at Olds Park for that 4th division clash. In a tight two goal game it could have made a difference to the result due to the extra energy needed to throw the ball in and the impact on set ups.
    Luke Shannon I thought you would understand that running multiple teams stretches the finite resources a club has and even when umpires are organised there are instances where blokes cannot turn up. Its not great when it happens but you can hardly stand on your soap box professing you haven't seen this happen before. You stand alone (again) on this one champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamstrings77 View Post
    Luke Shannon I thought you would understand that running multiple teams stretches the finite resources a club has and even when umpires are organised there are instances where blokes cannot turn up. Its not great when it happens but you can hardly stand on your soap box professing you haven't seen this happen before. You stand alone (again) on this one champ.
    There's a bloke called Graham Glassford who has been managing the umpires for eons who's job it is to attract and retain umpires. I've been retired a very long time so please correct me if I am wrong but the use of club umpires has not decreased as far as I know. If you administer a competition and accept club affiliation fees etc you should supply a minimum number of officials who are up to scratch.

I would understand if that 4th division clash was the only game on the day. This was not the case. There was a game before it and two games after it.

Hamstrings77, would you accept a situation at Waverley or Trumper where the 10.30am game did not have a boundary umpire when there was an earlier game and two games after that? If this scenario unfolded at the Bats I would be very dissapointed.

The league will clarify the rule (9.56) shortly. We have supplied boundary umpires at every home game in every grade so far this year, utilising Under 17's players and paying/feeding them. We've had issues the last two weeks with this, two weeks ago an appointed umpire told our boundary umps they were not to throw it in or even call it, unless the central umps were unsure and ask them. I pulled out the rule at half time and showed him, and he relented (It was also hot, he was probably sick of running in 50 metres to throw the ball up). Last Saturday, the Blacktown coach and manager had a whinge about us supplying both boundary umpires. Said in this comp there were to be no boundary umps and field ump had to throw it up. I did talk to him at the break and asked why he was against it. "We don't train for boundary throw-ins, and we are now at a distinct disadvantage " I'm guessing he isn't thinking of making finals, where they are supplied !!

I don't know if it's the sleepless nights of late, or the lack of coffee today, but that rule seems a bit ambiguous.

9.56 Where official goal and boundary umpires have not been appointed by the League, each
    competing club must be prepared to provide a suitable goal umpire, whilst the home club is to
    supply the boundary umpires to officiate (excluding Men�s Divisions Three, Four and Five,
    Women�s Division One and Under 19�s Division Two). If no club boundary umpires are provided
    in these competitions, the field umpire will have a ball up 10 metres from the boundary line
    where the ball left the field of play.
    Club goal umpires must be equipped with two white flags
    and attired in a club shirt or white coat and club boundary umpires must be attired in white shirt,
    club shorts, runners or football boots and equipped with a suitable whistle. Should boundary
    umpires not be supplied it is the home teams responsibility to throw the ball back into play on all
    occasions.

So if club boundary umps aren't supplied in the competitions in brackets, the field ump can ball it up 10m from the point of exit.

But the last line says if the club boundary umpires aren't supplied, it's the home team responsibility to throw it back in?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    You set the bar really low for being extremely disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    So if club boundary umps aren't supplied in the competitions in brackets, the field ump can ball it up 10m from the point of exit.

But the last line says if the club boundary umpires aren't supplied, it's the home team responsibility to throw it back in?
    So everyone is right? Kinda?

I assume they left the earlier exclusion out of the last line.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    I don't know if it's the sleepless nights of late, or the lack of coffee today, but that rule seems a bit ambiguous.

where the ball left the field of play.
    Club goal umpires must be equipped with two white flags
    occasions.

I heard last year that if the umpires were using ball ups instead of throw ins, the away captain could challenge the decision at quarter time and the umpires would have to revert to the home team throwing it in. I could be completely wrong with this one though.

Should boundary umpires not be supplied it is the home teams responsibility to throw the ball back into play on all occasions.

This only applies for Premier Div, Div 1 and Div 2

I heard last year that if the umpires were using ball ups instead of throw ins, the away captain could challenge the decision at quarter time and the umpires would have to revert to the home team throwing it in. I could be completely wrong with this one though.
    Same rule last year, but they included Div 3 this year. I understand they will be amending any ambiguity soon.

Even a lot of last year, I noticed that different umpires, both club and appointed, all had different views. Throw in by home club, throw in by attacking team, ball up etc etc etc

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast