Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reid & Rohan

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Not sure where he should play or who should go out, totally agree that's a hard call, but he's form in late 2015 was too good for him to sit outside our best 22 when fit so he needs to come in somewhere, imo.

One minute you throw out "short memories" then when questioned you can't offer an option of where to play him....

I've been saying for ages that he ain't no back line player. That has been tried and (IMO) failed.
    He's a forward, and should play there if there is a need (height, form, etc) but only play back if there is a desperate need.
    I see him as filling a hole when he plays back. Up forward he adds to the team at times.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't bring either player straight back in. McVeigh either.
    Our side is performing well, so why risk and early return?
    As I said, unless we have a need for a particular 'skill set' to match up opposition.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    ... Reid looked good playing through the midfield last year. I think we would have liked Towers leading up to be that marking outlet coming out of defense, but hasn't been able to nail enough contested marks. Reid is someone who competes very well in that role and helps get ball out of our defensive zone and ready to counterattack ...
    This ^
    I thought his midfield work was a revelation (well and could continue to play that role, inside and out. His handballing, whilst not Mitchell-esque was pretty good and we know he can be great overhead. Just the type of player that would be a nightmare to play against because he isn't slow either. Like Rohan, he needs to stay on the field for a season and settle into a role.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    One minute you throw out "short memories" then when questioned you can't offer an option of where to play him....
    I don't see how having an opinion that he is clearly in our best 22 based on his form at the back end of last season (which seems to have been forgotten by some) means I also need to offer an opinion on where he should play...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

What happens if we have 4 ruckmen who should also all be in our best 22?
    Play them all?

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    What happens if we have 4 ruckmen who should also all be in our best 22?
    Play them all?
    If they make up the 'best 22', then yes. If they just happen to be in the top 22 players on the list but if they all played the side would not be 'best 22', then no...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Assuming the players in the current 22 stay healthy, both would have to come back through the reserves. McVeigh's probably the only one who could walk straight in.

Reid is a lock when he's match-fit. Back, forward, wherever. He plays.

Not so sure about Rohan. His best is clearly good enough but we've only seen glimpses of it (2014 PF, Geelong in 2011 and Richmond last year spring to mind). Injuries have obviously played a massive part but he's still played plenty of footy.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    If they make up the 'best 22', then yes. If they just happen to be in the top 22 players on the list but if they all played the side would not be 'best 22', then no...
    Yeah, we're going to disagree there....

Goes up to 11
    A Gary Rohan with 10-12 touches can have a greater impact than many players getting 20 touches in a game. I hope he comes back fit and firing soon.
    Reid too.

Opti-pessi-misti
    I remember, some time before the broken leg, Gary saying that his preferred position was the wing. Coming back from the broken leg he was tried in a variety of positions, half back then half forward etc but with only glimpses of what he is capable of, partly due to interruptions from broken cheek bones and hamstring injuries etc.

I think he is yet to fully recover his confidence. He just needs, like Tom Mitchell, an uninterrupted season or so on the park, free of injury, and if possible in a set position that he is comfortable in. He, along with Isaac Heeney, also needs to know, that the whole game doesn't depend on him, he does not have to run down every opposition forward in the front half, or crash every pack in the back half as well as take speccy marks and kick 3 goals every game!

His coming back in a few weeks is going to be very important for his future, maybe. No one doubts his talent and potential, how best to nurture and release it at this stage, given his injury history and the needs of the team, is the big challenge.

Totally agree. Too much emphasis is placed on statistics and not enough on the effectiveness and quality of touches and a perfect example is Riolli from Hawthorn. He doesn't gather huge numbers but what he gets and delivers are superb. As Jono has stated "10-12 touches can have a greater impact than many players getting 20 touches in a game."

Reid I see as definitely in our best 22 and he could well be the solution at CHB next year.

Rohan I see as having to fight for his spot and he may well be trade bait if he doesn't deliver

I really don't have anything significant to add other than, what a lovely predicament to find ourselves in . Whodathunkit 3 weeks ago ??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast