Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reid & Rohan

Reid & Rohan

With everybody competing for positions so hard do these two walk straight in as they would have last year ? I think there is a bit of pressure on both as they have been in the "potential " category for a couple of years now but if they at least play at their best it will make the side much stronger. Hope the injury hasn't dulled Rohan's pace, as we need it.

Reid showed enough in the back half last year, he is a definite in. I think Rohan has to fight a bit more than Reid.

I personally wouldn't put them back in. Things seem to be going so well at the moment. Wait for an injury or something, then bring them back in. Was disappointed with McGlynn being returned at the expense of Towers in all honesty.
    Last edited by bloodsbigot; 13th April 2016 at 04:35 AM.

I see Reid as backup to Richards or Grundy. Rampe and Laidler are doing good jobs as the 3rd and 4th talls in defence. I don't see Reid forcing Rampe or Laidler out of the team.

I don't think Reid is an option forward. Buddy and Tippett / Sinclair take up nearly all the high marking air space. Heeney and Towers (when selected) are effectively the 3rd talls and offer more at ground level, have more pace and have superior kicking skills than Reid.

You could attempt to play Reid in a Justin Westoff or Mark Blicavs roving role but Westoff and Blicavs are both more superior and confident footballers than Reid. Reid could be an option to tag either Blicavs or Westoff when we play Geelong or Port.

Reid in short is back up to Grundy and Richards. When he is listed as three weeks away it always means six weeks away.

Rohan at his best is a superior version of Dene Towers. Great 3rd tall forward option with his marking, tackling, pace and long kicking. Can also be deployed in the backline to be a medium defender.

More likely to find a spot than Reid.

Veterans List
    Neither walk up starts but both important if they can rise to the level. Don't think either will be rushed back, fitness levels will be well down after such extended time out. Currently I see both as winger types. Will of course depend on injuries, Reid has looked good as a KPD as well as that up and back winger role.

Of near returns, McVeigh should slot into a HBF where he now does his best work, maybe releasing Mills to play wing to which he is even more suited and can use his composure and delivery.

Reid is only needed at the moment if we need a taller forward line, or are desperate to replace someone down back and have no better options.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Surprised at some of the short memories here, Reid was in superlative form towards the end of last year and should be an auto-in once he proves his fitness in the two's.

Rohan much less so. Like most Swans fans I love the guy to death but the reality is, he doesn't get enough of the ball and injuries aside has been pretty underwhelming for a long time now. If he makes it back and carves them up after all his setbacks the story will be a great movie, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen and we need to make a hard call in the next year or two.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Surprised at some of the short memories here, Reid was in superlative form towards the end of last year and should be an auto-in once he proves his fitness in the two's.
    Where would you play him? With Sinclair and Tippett firing at the moment and our forward line looking well structured there's not much room for him down there. I like the idea of him on the wing tho, always seemed really good at fwd50 entries to me.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Where would you play him? With Sinclair and Tippett firing at the moment and our forward line looking well structured there's not much room for him down there. I like the idea of him on the wing tho, always seemed really good at fwd50 entries to me.
    Not sure where he should play or who should go out, totally agree that's a hard call, but he's form in late 2015 was too good for him to sit outside our best 22 when fit so he needs to come in somewhere, imo.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Rohan and Reid are roughly scheduled to return rounds 6 and 7 when we play Brisbane and Essendon. I don't think it would be much risk to bring them directly into the senior side if they are training well, although a week or so in the reserves wouldn't hurt either.

Both are extremely talented players that at their best would definitely be in our best 22, but we've only seen them at their best for short periods of time. Both have also had their periods out injured, especially Rohan.

We already have enough options in our forward line, especially with Papley and Heaney down there and midfielders going forward. I wouldn't expect either would post big goal scoring options. Rose and Towers are also playing well enough to be considered as forward options.

I think Rohan's spot is that running halfback that we've been looking for. Our back 7 look better with Rohan and Macca in place of Jones and Mills. Where the latter 2 go, I'm not sure, but they are really midfielders anyway.

i agree with previous posters that Reid's best role is similar to that of Westoff and Blicavs, a players that shows up as a tall option anywhere on the field as needed. It's a real role in modern football and a very important one at that. Reid looked good playing through the midfield last year. I think we would have liked Towers leading up to be that marking outlet coming out of defense, but hasn't been able to nail enough contested marks. Reid is someone who competes very well in that role and helps get ball out of our defensive zone and ready to counterattack.

With a healthy we have around 28 players who justly deserve a place in the seniors. So choosing who goes out is not going to be easy.

A month ago we were bemoaning the lack of depth now we are arguing whether or not Reid and Rohan can fit back into the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post

Rohan much less so. Like most Swans fans I love the guy to death but the reality is, he doesn't get enough of the ball and injuries aside has been pretty underwhelming for a long time now. If he makes it back and carves them up after all his setbacks the story will be a great movie, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen and we need to make a hard call in the next year or two.
    I hope that he has a decent run without injuries to show his true ability and worth. I hope that the club perseveres with him and there will be no need to make that hard call in the next couple of years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast