Thread: Round 4 Preview - Swans v Crows: Hot Tip

Warming the Bench

Round 4 Preview - Swans v Crows: Hot Tip

The alluring Adelaide Oval plays host to a true Saturday night blockbuster this weekend when the Crows host the top-of-the-table Swans. The Crows are not far below them, currently sitting in sixth position and playing some Gillon McLachlan-endorsed �sexy-style� footy of their own. Expect these two sides to be there when the whips are cracking later in the year. Yeeee-haw.

LAST TIME:
    An emotion-charged August afternoon at the SCG, saw a Swans side take the field without Adam Goodes. Not because of injury, but because of racism. Plain and simple. The response from the Swannies faithful was immense. The day was all about making a stand. It was a stand that transcended football, which saw beauty in the sentiment, compassion and genuine care. Pre-game feelings of restlessness and emptiness dissipated as cameras scanned the SCG stands. A splendid vision of support for our champ and emotions were running high. The opposition were dealing with an unfathomable tragedy of their own, and struggled to contain the rampant red and white brigade on their home turf. A 52-point Bloods win, as we all �stood with Adam�.

KEY MATCH-UPS:
    Tex v Reg:
    Walker v Grundy. The Crow captain is a throwback. A most welcome throwback to bygone eras. The boy from Broken Hill has an innate ability to release the inner-bogan in all of us. He�s grown the greatest mullet since 1987, been caught sipping on schooners in the stands and uses words like �galoot� in social media battles. There should be more like him. Reg Grundy is in career-best form, without a doubt. The one-time disposal heart-attack merchant has continued stellar form of last year, into an outstanding beginning to the new. A recent addition to the Bloods leadership group, the added responsibility in the defensive unit is most certainly agreeing with our thick-trunked tyro. This duel will be crucial.

Tippo v The 4-year Grudge:
    In 2012, Kurt Tippett left Adelaide for Sydney. I would too! (just kidding, South Australia). Many croweaters were not happy about this. Many still aren�t. Many hold a 4-year grudge that has been building like a surge of lava within the volcano of their parochial minds. This Saturday, these volcanoes will erupt, and the Swannies� red-hot ruckman will react. Tippo is tearing the ruck apart while using superior forward-craft to also hit the scoreboard.
    The circumstances surrounding Tippett�s departure were well publicised at the time. When all is said and done, perhaps it�s not the ex-Crow the locals should be angry with, it was in fact their own club who were handed fines, draft penalties and suspensions due to salary-cap rorting in an effort to keep the big man. This week has also seen speculation surrounding his supposed avoidance of a return to his former home, to face his former team. Let�s take a closer look at that:
    2013 � suspended
    2014 � missed fist seven-weeks of the season due to injury
    2015 � the match was played at the SCG.
    Hmmmmm�..

A Crow v A Swan (A Hindu story):
    Once there lived a crow that was the favourite of three boys. The admiration of the children filled the crow with pride and he believed himself to be the most handsome bird in the land. Just then, he spotted a flock of swans, and the sight irritated him! The big-mouthed crow shouted, saying that the swans were ugly, and that he would not tolerate any ugly birds in his territory. The leader of the swans heard this as he was gliding by. He replied to the crow, saying that nobody would say a swan was ugly and told the crow that nobody can equal a swan in beauty and flying.
    The crow got angry and replied, saying that swans are not good fliers and that he knew many tricks in flying and showed his tricks to the swans. He turned several times in the air like an acrobat. He made zig-zag patterns and he even flew upside down in the air for a little while.
    The leader of the swans told the crow that he was much better than the crow at flying and challenged him to fly over the sea. The crow took the challenge, and the competition began at once.
    The swan gradually gained height and speed. Soon, the swan was flying effortlessly across the ocean. But the crow was so exhausted, he could barely keep himself above the water.
    The crow was about to drown and he shouted for help. The swan returned, and taking pity on him, the swan then took him on his back and flew towards the shore. He placed the crow gently on the sand.
    The crow told the swan, �Brother swan! You are my superior. I was intoxicated by false pride and thought my position to be very high. And so, I offended you all. I have understood my position. I am only a crow. Please forgive me.�
    Moral of the story: We see from the story, how the crow was blindly intoxicated by pride, and offended the swans. Basically, do not offend the Swans!

RECENT EVENTS:
    The Sydney Swans this week became the first football club (of any code) in New South Wales, to achieve the impressive milestone of 50,000 members. It�s a remarkable achievement for a club that has worked incredibly hard over a 34-year period to establish a foothold in the most competitive sporting market in the world. Congratulations need to go to all who have contributed to the strength and power that the club now enjoys on and off the field. We�ve come a long way since the Swanettes & their sequinned leotards were our main draw cards.
    Don Pyke has been equally impressive in his new job. After the tragic events of last season, the likeable lads of the Crows were searching for a new leader. They have found one in Pyke. After a decorated playing career, he has served his apprenticeship in the coaching ranks. The result of this is that he appears to be measured, calculated and highly intelligent when regarding all matters football. The loss of their star midfielder during the off-season has been dwelled upon, and they look a better side without him. Is Don. Is Good.

PREDICTION:
    Hot tip � K. Tippett � 3 votes. The Swannies will fight off a resurgent home team, along with their nineteenth-man (AFL equalisation measure?) to record a 33-point victory. Buddy & Parksy will continue their delightful double act, and the young cygnets will pass the test of performing in a hostile environment away from the nest, to keep the club�s undefeated Adelaide Oval record alive � While her loyal sons are marching, Onwards to victory.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Great preview Joe, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Veterans List
    Fun preview - thanks Joe. I hope your prediction is correct.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    I will be surprised if any great victory margin occurs this week, I believe this is a real danger game and at best we may scrap over the line. Still believe last week's game is going to take something out of the players I am tipping an Adelaide win. But very happy to be wrong!

Veterans List
    Got my tickets and hoping my three game streak of never seeing us beaten at Adelaide Oval continues.

The Crows however are in ripping form and the massive home crowd will be foaming at the mouth delivery verbal tirades at Tippo. They still rabbit on about how he went to Sydney for the money, which he didn't, the money was similar to that on offer by the Crows, he just wanted out of Adelaide. Hell I hope he doesn't miss any sitters!

Wonder what batch of tossers we'll get in the commentary team this week. Unfortunately it's very difficult to assemble a team that doesn't include at least a couple of tossers!

Regular in the Side
    Thanks for an entertaining preview
    Life's not a spectator sport

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Got my tickets and hoping my three game streak of never seeing us beaten at Adelaide Oval continues.

The Crows however are in ripping form and the massive home crowd will be foaming at the mouth delivery verbal tirades at Tippo. They still rabbit on about how he went to Sydney for the money, which he didn't, the money was similar to that on offer by the Crows, he just wanted out of Adelaide. Hell I hope he doesn't miss any sitters!

Wonder what batch of tossers we'll get in the commentary team this week. Unfortunately it's very difficult to assemble a team that doesn't include at least a couple of tossers!
    I'm really looking forward to the game on Saturday - heading over for my 2nd game there (Saw us belt the crows 2 years ago). I have a good feeling about Saturday night, although it'll be a stern test for us, that is for sure.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Warming the Bench
    Thanks guys. Really looking forward to this one. Big test, but we've got that something about us at the moment. To those of you attending - enjoy!

Top stuff Joe. I agree margin wise, I think we'll win by around the 5-6 goal mark. Tough game but we'll be just a little too good in the end.